Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | Product Reviews | EveryTrail Pro Phone Ap Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2 
Author Topic
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 10 June 2012 18:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
We tried this app while in Moab and it's a great accompaniment to the books, paper maps, or a handheld GPS. Basically, it's a phone based GPS app that for $3.99 allows you to download maps for a trail and then it works just like a regular GPS street route where you follow the line as you drive along to keep you on the right trail. It also has pictures, a trail overview, and some tips for the trail. It was very helpful, particularly when we came to intersections and weren't quite sure which branch to take. You can have the trail route overlaid on either a street map, a topographical map, or a satellite view. It is not limited to Moab or 4x4, there are maps all over the place for hiking, boating, skiing, horseback riding, biking, etc, and the other thing it does is it allows a user to upload new trails. All the trails we did in Moab were already available, but this may be useful to us for mapping places such as Washita. (It's not already there)

Screen shots:

The first few entries for Moab:

It's available for both iPhone and Droid. There is also a free version, but it doesn't allow you do download the maps which is likely to be a problem when you lose data service. The only problem I ran into was a few times the GPS on my phone froze, but usually backing out and starting it again resolved that.

I don't know that I would rely on only this app in the back country, but it was well worth the $3.99.

Here is the website for the app, but it's available in Google Play or iTunes.
http://www.everytrail.com/

Edited by - Stalker on 6/10/2012 7:32:07 PM

Tink
Alton, IL
Club Member
Posted - 10 June 2012 19:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
That's awesome, thanks for sharing. Download in progress
Heisman
Manchester, MO
MWJT Director of PR
Posted - 11 June 2012 13:14  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Sweet, I had the free one. I didn't even know there was a paid one. It looks a lot more useful.
jetnoise
O'Fallon, IL
Online Member
Posted - 18 June 2012 21:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Does this app require a 3G link to work? At Washita and flat nasty, I get no cell phone signal.
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 18 June 2012 22:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
The free one requires a data connection while in use.

The paid one (Pro) only requires a data connection when downloading the maps for a particular trail. It then stores the map and other data on your phone and after that it uses your phone's Satellite GPS, not cell signal, to keep track of your location on the trail. In Moab we often had no signal at all, but on my Droid Razr it worked fine with the trail map(s) we downloaded before leaving town.

marvin
Fenton, MO
Club Member
Posted - 19 June 2012 9:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
We were talking about this at the picnic. I downloaded it when I was out in Arizona just to play around with it. The free version does require phone service and has its quirks but the pro version is quite nice. Like Stalker said though, not sure I would rely on this only but it is a great "back-up" or second system when out on unknown trails. May just have to get to Washita and test it out.
Heisman
Manchester, MO
MWJT Director of PR
Posted - 19 June 2012 14:0  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I definitely could have used this a few years ago when I got "lost" temporarily in Colorado. The maps didn't reflect what the trails actually were. We had written directions that referenced the old trails but not the new ones, and my iPhone didn't have an app that would work without a signal. Another reason to never wheel alone.
jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 19 June 2012 18:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Grabbing it now, we'll see how it does for Attica (not that I don't know my way around, but will be interesting to see how accurate)
shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 1 July 2012 15:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I`m due for a new phone this month,looking to find a great phone for this to work on.
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 27 July 2014 13:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I was asked about this again this weekend. There are step by step directions for getting it going here.

All the trail maps for the local parks on on there now too.
http://www.aaronhull.com/everytrail.html

shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 27 July 2014 16:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I used it Saturday,and it worked flawless.
PNYCUK
St. Peters, MO
Club Member
Posted - 30 July 2014 3:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Has anyone else with an iPhone had problems finding it in the App Store? It's not showing up for me to download
BernerDad
Ellisville, MO
MWJT Secretary/ Membership
Posted - 30 July 2014 10:49  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I was looking too. From what I can see, the app is gone. The company web page has links to the iOS App Store that no longer work, their Facebook site has basically been untouched for about two years, and their Twitter feed is quiet.

I believe they have taken down their shingle, and rolled up the sidewalks. :-)

kirnkorner2001
Imperial, MO
Club Member
Posted - 30 July 2014 11:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I've used EveryTrail Pro several times to track new trails as I'm going. I have an Android phone, and it's getting app updates on a semi-regular basis. So they haven't closed up shop yet.
Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 31 July 2014 11:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Mine didnt work real good Saturday. The map would not fill in. Chunks of it kept going away, or would not fill in.
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 31 July 2014 12:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
You may have had it on street map and if you're zoomed in, you won't see anything. But it may have just not been able to download what it wanted too.

You could still see the trails and you on them though right?

Forums | Product Reviews | EveryTrail Pro Phone Ap Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed