Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | Multimedia Forum | A quiet drive on a Saturday afternoon... Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
BernerDad
Ellisville, MO
MWJT Secretary/ Membership
Posted - 9 April 2013 21:23  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
As some of you know, I've put a brand spanking new '13 Rubicon under my backside over the last couple of weeks. Before that Jeep, I owned an 08 JKUX, nicknamed "The Big Green Box."

In May 2011, the folks at the Talladega Superspeedway hosted an event to raise money for the Alabama Red Cross, for use in aiding the victims of the tornado outbreak in the region. They opened the track to folks who wanted to take their own vehicles for a spin around the big track, which was my Mother's Day gift for my mother and co-pilot for the trip (aged 67 at the time of the ride). I took four laps in my beloved Big Green Box -- it was scary, and exhilarating, and worth the drive from St. Louis!

At the time, the Big Green Box was sporting a 2.5" lift and 33" tires -- not big by Jeep standards, but quite tall from NASCAR standards. My speed, however, was not up to NASCAR specs -- our high speed was only 110mph. :-)

Enjoy the fun!

In-cabin (all four laps):

http://youtu.be/7plFtG3dQbA

Roofcam (only the first three laps):

http://youtu.be/IKngha7Aj0Y

BulletProof
Kingwood, TX
Online Member
Posted - 9 April 2013 21:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
That is very cool! Thanks for sharing.
BernerDad
Ellisville, MO
Posted - 9 April 2013 21:49  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Happy to share the joy! Now I've gotta find a track for my Lil' Red Ruby to try out!
xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 30 March 2014 21:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Man can't believe I stumbled on this video so late, that is cool... I drove around that track 3 laps, top speed on the final lap was 174mph, it went faster then I expected (last 2 laps never lifted)... It was awesome, but hard to see because the roof line on the car (me being tall) made vision around the turns very limited... The best way I could describe it to others was like going up and down hills and not being able to see up..

I bet your experience was very good and just enough speed to enjoy the track and also see it's features better...

driving that track is definately a "bucket list" item everyone should do...

xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 30 March 2014 21:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Sorry, just looked it up and realized that it was 6 laps and 173mph was top speed..

[URL=][IMG][/IMG][/URL]

BernerDad
Ellisville, MO
Posted - 31 March 2014 6:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I can't imagine doing 173 in a Jeep! :-) Doing that track "at speed" would be way cool. The way the Lil' Red Rubicon runs, I'd really believe it would do much, much better around the track, and would be an even more enjoyable experience than in my '08.

Glad you found the video!

Forums | Multimedia Forum | A quiet drive on a Saturday afternoon... Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply