Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | attn hams Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 21 June 2013 13:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
came across this, and figured id give it a shot..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MAKWC0/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

even if its junk, would make a backup handheld, etc.... got good reviews on another forum.;... 200+ reviews on amazon, vast majority positive..

2 way, dual band Handheld HAM for under $40. i bought the cable and software so its less than $50 to my door. will (hopefully) be a decent backup to my vehicle mounted radio... i dont expect it to be 'professional grade'...

JN JEEP 2
Centralia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 21 June 2013 13:56  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
quote:
...and there's even a built in flashlight!

LMTD
St Charles, MO
Online Member
Posted - 30 June 2013 9:3  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Actually those and the wuxon's are pretty sturdy units, especially for the coin involved.

If the software is the same, you can open them up quite a bit. Not sure what freq your fire department works on, but you might even get into that band with it as well.

The wuxon's can be opened up into to work with the cheap handy talkies that make the wild 2-5 mile claims by various companies.

Only issues I have heard are the batteries but what the heck, for that coin you can hit batteries plus and get one built and still be ahead.

I like it better than beating the yaseu up camping and what not.

Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 7 July 2013 10:53  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
What is involved in getting a license? I heard you can do it all online?

Edited by - Stalker on 7/7/2013 11:36:25 AM

JN JEEP 2
Centralia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 7 July 2013 21:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
You can study and do practice exams online, but to my knowledge you have to take the written test in front of 3 VE's (Volunteer Examiners)
I recently upgraded my license and there were 3 guys there that sign off that you pass.
Joe_24
Columbia, IL
Online Member
Posted - 9 July 2013 6:5  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Correct. License exams are done in person. There is a group that holds testing each week at Cliff Cave Library in South County. I can get more information for you if you would like.

KC9GNE
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.” -- Jeff Cooper

Forums | General Discussion Forum | attn hams Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed