Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | Tow Rig Tech | Need a trailer Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 4 Pages Long:    1 2 3 4 
Author Topic
hack
Glencoe, MO
MWJT Vice President
Posted - 23 June 2013 21:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Any Recommendations?
Don't know how long it needs to be.

Is a metal or wood deck better?

Brakes on both axles?

Looking for dude52s thread on this.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3880625573.html

Edited by - hack on 6/23/2013 9:24:56 PM

little95-YJ
Hart of the barn. AKA Barnhart, MO
Online Member
Posted - 23 June 2013 22:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bfd/3882982856.html

This is the same one a bought about a year ago best deal i could find for a brand new one or even a gently used one. Single brake axle and make sure it has trailor tires on it and you should be good to go for towing a Jeep.

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 24 June 2013 1:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
quote:

Any Recommendations?

yea... lots..

quote:
Don't know how long it needs to be.

this depends on if you want a purpose built trailer, or a trailer that can be used to haul your jeep, or your buddys broken down full size truck. remember, weight is the enemy, and every foot costs..

my opinion, ive towed with my 18', 16' and 14'foot trailers behind my half tons. the 18 footers are easier to get the load balanced correctly, sometimes its tough to do on a shorter trailer. but its much easier to tow a 14 foot than an 18 foot, once you get off the highway..

the most common are 18' or 18+2's

quote:
Is a metal or wood deck better?

metal decking is more durable, and most feel it looks better.. but its also heavier, and slick as heck when its wet or icy, or covered in oil. also, you dont want to lay on your back wrenching, or even attaching straps, when a metal trailer has been parked in teh sun all day. we literally fried an egg on our race car trailer.

wood you have to maintain, and replace some planks every few years, but its lighter, less slick, oil/water drains off/through, and it doesnt get anywhere near as hot as metal.

ultimately, its personal preference.

quote:
Brakes on both axles?

yes. its much easier and safer to control, and in many states, ( like colorado), its the law on trailers above 5000#

also on axles... 3500# axles are fine for occasional pulling...but if you can afford it, go bigger. 5000# axles use larger bearings and spindles, and brakes.. talk to folks who tow often, and most will say they have had issues with spindles/bearings on long trips. heavier duty axles will have fewer wear and tear related issues with these items.

also, look for larger diameter wheels/tires. the larger tires hold more weight, run cooler, rotate slower, etc, and generally last much longer than the normal 225/15" trailer tire.. all this will cost more up front, but make your cost of ownership lower in the long run.. the first few times you have to repair a spindle on the side of the highway at 6pm sunday night coming home from a wheeling trip, and you will wish you had spent a little more up front.

dovetails: again personal preference. what i found was that i drug them everywhere. especially if you park in unimproved parking, or have a driveway thats a hill, youll get sick of them. sure they are nice if you have to load your corvette or lowrider on the trailer, but you can solve that with longer ramps. my preference is to save the expense and weight of the dove, and just get pull out ramps. for ultimate in tail clearance, you can get fold up ramps also, which i find easier than slide out ramps.

oh, ramps that slide out the side tend to be a pain when someone parks next to you.. you have to move the trailer to get the ramps out.

if it were ME, id get a 16' trailer with dual 5000# brake axles, and either 265 (or 285)/70-17 or 235 80-17 trailer tires. one advantage to these larger sizes running at high pressure is that you dont need purpose built trailer tires, like you do with smaller tires that just dont hold up when you put light truck tires on the trailer.

get heavy duty fenders.. that you can stand on, or go one more and get them that can be driven over. its also nice if they are removable with pins..

also, get LED, submersible lighting all the way around... again it costs more, but, you wont be replacing bulbs every time you take it out.

there's a lot more to say on construction of the trailer, but feature wise i think your pretty much covered.

a final option is to simply find a used trailer you can afford, and learn the above stuff yourself over the next few years, and get the right trailer your second time around.

Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 24 June 2013 7:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Like xpi said, some is personal choice.

For your LJ, definitely a 18' so you can get the balance right.

5200# axles with brakes on both. Wood deck (this is from someone who has both.) LED lights, both for the bling factor and longer lasting.

Heavier fender option or at least a well supported sheet metal fender if you're getting an 8.5' OA width trailer where you're not rubbing the fenders every time you load.

The bigger tire option, I see good and bad, you'll have to go to drop axles to keep the trailer lower (straight axles will make for a pretty tall trailer for lower items even with longer ramps) or you could go with a dovetail with the taller tires and still have good clearance. My local tire place now carries 225/75/15 trailer tires in load range E, 80 psi flavor though so I still like this option (I even run these on my 3500# axle trailers).

Oh yeah, lots of tie downs, a longer tongue trailer pulls better and lets you enclose the tongue for storage and a tool box. A good, drop leg jack (not the crappy little A frame jack most give you) so you can easily get the loaded trailer unhooked is a must as well.

You get your new truck and want to try out a couple different styles, bring it and the Jeep out and we'll try on a couple of ours to see which ones you like.

Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 24 June 2013 7:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Just looked at the one you posted, first two things I'd do is replace all of the lights and put a decent jack on it. That one is a great on road trailer, but would probably drag a little going in and out of Flat Nasty.

Also, unlike xpi I like the side load ramps, keeps your rear ground clearance and I've never been parked so close to someone I couldn't get them out (could be my aversion to people period though).

BulletProof
Kingwood, TX
Club Member
Posted - 24 June 2013 15:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Hack, this guy is a friend of mine, I'd bet you could buy his right. He takes care of his stuff.

http://www.midwestjeepthing.com/Forums/Topic.asp?topic_id=76789&forum_id=7&Topic_Title=Tandem%2Bcar%2Bhauler&forum_title=Non-Jeep+Parts+Classifieds&S=1

Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 24 June 2013 16:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Look up the PJ Buggy hauler trailer.
Dude52
Saint Charles, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 24 June 2013 16:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Here is a link to the one I got. It had most of the things I wanted.

Dual brakes
Treated deck
Fully powdercoated (even underneath)
18' or greater (I got the 20' one)
sealed wiring

It didn't have some of the others I was looking for:

radial tires
10K GVWR

I figured I could put the money I saved into radial tires (when needed) and with my XJ weighing only 4000 lbs the 7K GVWR won't be too big of a problem for a while.

Also, I went with the 20' because the 18 and 20 costed the same. The dovetail wasn't something that I was really looking for, but I don't mind it so far.

http://www.chesterfieldvalleypowersports.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=06500818X6K24K2013J4I16I12JPMQ1576R0&veh=2772187&nv=y

hack
Glencoe, MO
MWJT Vice President
Posted - 24 June 2013 16:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Thanks everyone. Just what I was looking for. Dave, thanks but that thing is just too darn big. I really like the idea of the 18ft w/o dove tail.
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 24 June 2013 21:16  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
18' wood deck. Skip the dovetail and get long ramps if you are gonna tow anything other than your jeep. (Or drop the trailer axles into a ditch and just drive on)
Brakes on both axles, adding an axle isn't a dealbreaker but will cost you $200-$250
Get good tires or you'll be replacing them on the way to or from somewhere, and then you'll be looking for farm stores on a Sunday in the middle of Kansas looking for another spare. Figure replacing crap tires with good ones will cost you $600
Measure the width of your jeep and make sure the deck is wide enough. Probably will be, but check. Mine was marked one size, but was really about 6" narrower.
Make sure it's painted completely or you'll be pulling the boards off and painting which is a pita.

Strong fenders are good. Mine feel like they're bending from standing on them while getting in and out while loading.

Zach87
Waterloo, IL
Online Member
Posted - 24 June 2013 21:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
I bought my rice trailer from chesterfield valley Motorsports. Very very pleased with the way I was treated. Mine is a 18' plus 2' so total 20' brakes on both axles. Treated floor and all hauls my heavy tj just fine.
hack
Glencoe, MO
MWJT Vice President
Posted - 24 June 2013 21:26  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Those twice trailers look nice. Sorta want to avoid the dove tail though.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/3889981024.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grq/3832949324.html

Hows this one look?

Edited by - hack on 6/24/2013 9:29:13 PM

little95-YJ
Hart of the barn. AKA Barnhart, MO
Online Member
Posted - 25 June 2013 5:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
That 1st trailer you posted there Hack seems to get more expensive the longer its been for sale. Now the 2nd one is a decent deal other then the fact that slams used LT tires on them. I has talked to him when I bought my trailer and passed because I wanted new trailer tires.
Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 25 June 2013 6:58  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
First is overpriced, second is a lightweight pile of crap. IMO.

Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 25 June 2013 9:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Got this year old one new at Midway trailers in Litchfield IL for $2300.

3500lb dual brake axles and drop down spring assist ramps.

jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 25 June 2013 12:4  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I've got an 18' with dovetail and don't bother with ramps anymore. It's a nice option. And, as XPI said, the 18' gives you options to position the Jeep, and also haul other things when it's not being used for the Jeeps (mine has hauled a few tractors). I also have room to put an ATV on mine in front of the Jeep, or that space could be used for a toolbox.

I have pressure treated wood, and bought my trailer new in 04, and the wood is still in great shape. I put Thompson's water seal on it once or twice a year. However, due to that, that Thompson's causes it to attract dirt and dust and has an oily film. So, if I lay on it, it transfers all of that to whatever I'm wearing.

As XPI said, go for brakes on both axles, that's what I did.

Edited by - jeepr on 6/26/2013 8:46:38 AM

Forums | Tow Rig Tech | Need a trailer Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 4 Pages Long:    1 2 3 4

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed