Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | cell phone provider Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
Grace
Fenton,
Online Member
Posted - 1 July 2013 12:34  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
We are up for new phones and are having problems deciding on which carrier. My primary concern is coverage areas. We currently have AT&T and have been very happy with them but, I have no coverage or service inside work. Sprint is what my work is using now so I would have service there which I don't with at&t. Services themselves are about the same and so is $$/month. Is it worth switching providers? This would be for 4 smartphones with unlimited data and text. Thoughts? problems with no service?
ddIII
OFallon, MO
Online Member
Posted - 1 July 2013 13:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
We have the everything share plan with 1500 minutes with sprint plus since your bring your at&t phones over to sprint broken or not they'll take them. We are dealing with five phone on our plan.
Area-51
Grinnell, IA
Online Member
Posted - 1 July 2013 13:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Keep in mind that both AT&T and Verizon have killed their unlimited data plans.

So if you were planning on new phones, even with AT&T, unless you were going to pony up the full cost of the phones, you are almost certainly going to be switched to their tiered rate data plan.

Same if you switched to Verizon.

So for either of the big 2, you are going to be tiered.

Sprint still touts unlimited data for their plans, so you would not have overage for data use. But I have also read where unlimited is not "unlimited" for full bandwidth. Sprint has been noted to throttle the data connection after so many GB per month....have read as little as 2 GB to upwards of 6-10 GB. That does not mean they cut you off per se, but your data connection may suddenly be closer to the old 1X data speeds of yonder.
I have no experience with that personally, just have read that in numerous places.

If you or someone else uses the phone (or wants to) as a mobile hotspot for wireless laptop access, then AT&T and Verizon include that now in their tiered plans. Sprint charges extra for it.

Just some stuff to ponder.

Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Club Member
Posted - 1 July 2013 14:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Avoid T Mobile. Worst coverage I have ever experienced
BulletProof
Kingwood, TX
Online Member
Posted - 1 July 2013 15:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I'm content with Sprint unlimited plan, I have 3 phones on my line.
jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 1 July 2013 23:35  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Grace, having just switched from Sprint to AT&T, and then taking a trip to Colorado, I think I can summarize it pretty well.

AT&T is AWESOME in cities, sucks in the rural areas. Sprint data sucks, but their coverage is pretty consistent everywhere.

I get incredible data speeds on AT&T in STL and in other decent cities. But, on our trip to Colorado, through Kansas and Colorado, I (and others with AT&T) had several areas where we had NO data coverage at all.

By contrast, Sprint is nearly non-stop between here and Denver. Last year, when Joe was driving, I was on the laptop through the wireless hotspot on my Sprint phone nearly the whole time.

As far as dropped calls, I can't say much. I had almost NO dropped calls in the 10 years with Sprint. But, I can't say I've had a problem with that in my few months with AT&T either. But, I've heard others complain about that.

If I was choosing right now??? I'd be torn, but I think I'd go with AT&T. But, in 2 years when my contract is up and Sprint has their LTE coverage mostly done, I would seriously consider going back to Sprint. They have finally started to fire up LTE towers in STL, and may have good data coverage here in just a few months. If you can wait that long, then maybe Sprint will be the better choice.

Edited by - jeepr on 7/1/2013 11:46:08 PM

jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 1 July 2013 23:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Also, take a look at http://www.sensorly.com, it is good at showing you the data coverage for the various providers. Bear in mind that it is not as reported by the providers, but by people running the application on their phone that reports back. That's why you see coverage mostly on roads, as they are driving and their phone is reporting to the site (I'm one of the reporter's). So, lack of color in an area could indicate lack of coverage, or it could indicate that nobody with the application running has driving in that area. But in general, it's a good indication of coverage when you compare them.
MacGuy
Ballwin, MO
Online Member
Posted - 2 July 2013 8:44  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Not sure if this will help you but it seems to be pretty comprehensive.

http://opensignal.com

Jerry "MacGuy"

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 3 July 2013 11:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
my personal experience:

verizon is awesome everywhere but where i live. i ran with verizon from 1992 through 2013. very few, if any, problems, all over the US, from Florida to Wyoming, from ny to cali..

I switched to AT&T in march of this year, and its been a nightmare... i still dont have coverage at my house (they are putting in a new antenna that will give me coverage.. verizon has no current plans to cover my area...). their customer service has been miserable. they screwed up the billing the first 3 months. i get frequent dead zones and outtages, even in major metro's. many times i have to manually sync email...few other service issues i never had with my verizon service.

i would also say AT&T no longer offers 'unlimited' data/text unless your grandfathered in. i suspect the other carriers are they same way.. if you current have unlimited, i would not change your service, especially if you are happy with your current carrier.

JN JEEP 2
Centralia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 3 July 2013 14:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I have carried both Verizon and AT&T for several years now, and in my experience Verizon generally has better overall coverage than AT&T. I live 2 miles for both towers and sometimes inside my house I have no service on the AT&T. Verizon isn't the strongest inside, but usually has a signal.
I live in a wierd area that was set up years ago when they set up "boundaries" (directional) based on County lines. I'm near the corners of 4 counties.
I'm considering getting rid of Verizon only because it costs me $100/month. My AT&T is free company phone.
Even when I travel the Verizon seems to have the better coverage.
I can't speak for Sprint except that one of my sons has had it for many years and is happy with it.

2 cents worth....

Chrispy said

quote:
i ran with verizon from 1992 through 2013

That was back in the Cybertel bag-phone days, wasn't it? That's what I had starting about 90-91. Had to dial in a code nearly every time you moved to different area. Things have sure changed in 20 years.

Edited by - JN JEEP 2 on 7/3/2013 2:50:04 PM

lammy
Arnold, MO
Club Member
Posted - 3 July 2013 21:52  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I was about to switch off of Sprint like Jeepr but I decided to wait out the LTE rollout. I get LTE in Arnold, most of soco, and some random spots of stl. So far no problems.
Big Chief
St,Charles, MO
Online Member
Posted - 5 July 2013 14:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
I recently switched to sprint, so far so good , no such thing as perfect cell phone . I chose them for the unlimited plan which will be phasing out soon I think when the LtE is done, and I was told about the new towers coming in the midwest which is supposed to make them real strong in this area. With the discount it is about $40 a month cheaper too . I travel a lot and seems to get me covered well
lammy
Arnold, MO
Club Member
Posted - 6 July 2013 23:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
The Sprint CEO said they will never remove unlimited data. That is literally the only thing they have over the competition.
Annie
Godfrey, IL
Club Member
Posted - 7 July 2013 7:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Softbank's buyout of Sprint was just approved by the FCC.
We'll have to see what if any changes the buyout brings to them.

I have been with Sprint for years, we have 4 phones on 1500 minutes/w/unlimited data and have been very happy.

lammy
Arnold, MO
Club Member
Posted - 7 July 2013 11:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
^ I did not know that. It looks like it could really help them though since they got the rest of clearwire. I guess we will see though.
Grace
Fenton,
Online Member
Posted - 8 July 2013 11:6  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Ended up staying with AT&T. New phones and changed plans. More data, unlimited text but only 1500minutes talk for less money. I guess it is all about what you are comfy with.
Forums | General Discussion Forum | cell phone provider Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed