Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | Tow Rig Tech | Wheel and Tire Load Rating Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
BeerCat
Smithton, IL
Online Member
Posted - 1 July 2013 18:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I am looking to get new wheels and tires for my 1997 Chevy Silverado z71

I want to make sure my decision would work for hauling my xj
Now I only haul it literally once a year to Jeepstock, in the near future I would like to haul maybe 3 to 4 times a year to different events

my wheel decision Summit D-Window wheels with a load rating of 2,100 lbs

my tire decision is Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 with a load rating of 2,601 lbs

My question is would this be a good set up to use for pulling my XJ to events

Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 2 July 2013 6:58  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Start with your axle ratings, these will be on the door sticker, make sure you have enough wheel/tire to at least equal your axle rating. Those wheels may be on the light side.

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 3 July 2013 11:0  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
to clear something up, The axle rating is based on the sum of the weight rating of the tires on it. Nothing else. Not axle strength, brakes, springs, shackles, or shocks. Ignore the door sticker. It is based on tires that probably did not even come on your truck. The Vehicle Code states it is the sum of the tires. if you start with tires that exceed the manufacturers rating, however, you will at least be at the actual tow rating for the truck, provided you have the other equipment in place (WD hitch, etc...)

actual axle weight ratings are harder to find, as they come from the axle manufacturer, not the truck manufacturer.

whichever number you use, be sure to start with the the actual SCALED weight of the truck itself, as that is included when you measure axle load.

that said, most quality "D" or "E" rated tires should be more than sufficient to haul a jeep on a flatbed, as long as your running a WD hitch. if your not running a WD, your truck is only rating to 5000# towing, so your overloaded anyway...id go with E rated tires, and make sure they are aired up to the proper inflation rating.

Edited by - chrispy on 7/3/2013 11:03:40 AM

Zach87
Waterloo, IL
Online Member
Posted - 3 July 2013 21:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
My tires are load range D and I haul a 30' gooseneck with a tj and a yj in dead of summer and never had a problem. This is all on a 3/4 ton duramax. I would never run a load range e on a half ton to stif of a tire for them
krazykevin
O'fallon, MO
Online Member
Posted - 4 July 2013 22:14  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Uh oh
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 5 July 2013 7:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
quote:
My tires are load range D and I haul a 30' gooseneck with a tj and a yj in dead of summer and never had a problem

i frequently run my commuter above redline and have never had a problem. therefore redlines are garbage and should be ignored, because its obviously safe to run all day long at 7krpm with a 5500 redline.

the fact that YOU have never had a problem despite grossly being overweight on you tires does not make it wise for others to follow suit.

hack
, MO
MWJT Vice President
Posted - 7 July 2013 7:32  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
My new 1/2 ton ram came with load range e tires from the factory.
Forums | Tow Rig Tech | Wheel and Tire Load Rating Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed