Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | wiring question Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 3 July 2013 19:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I have a set of backup lights on rear of my Jeep.Since I`m going to corners,and going to aftermarket taillights,how can I wire into the backup lights to work with factory reverse switch and still use my switch on the dash?I want to have these lights come on when I shift into reverse,but if I need the extra light I can turn them on with the switch.Confused me too.
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 4 July 2013 3:26  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Find the pos+ from the reverse switch on the transmission and splice it into the pos+ that activates the lights.
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 5 July 2013 23:53  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
If I understand, he wants the lights to come on automatically when he hits reverse like they normally would, but also wants to be able to turn them on with a switch when not in reverse without feeding 12v back through the reverse lights circuit.
shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 6 July 2013 6:23  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Aaron,you are correct.
1 Long CJ
Highland, IL
Online Member
Posted - 6 July 2013 8:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Use a relay. Have both, your switch and the reverse line wired to turn the relay on. If you don't always want the lights to come on in reverse, you'll need a On/off/on switch. One position can turn them on and the other would be with reverse. This is assuming your switch and reverse ckt. are both 12v +. If one's a ground signal, you'll need two relays.

Life is short. Play hard.

Kooter
Maryland Heights, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 July 2013 9:0  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
You need a 3 position switch and one relay. I can draw it up for you when I get back from vacation next week. I did this with aux lights on the back of my Superduty. Pretty easy.
Fred3B
Festus, MO
Club Member
Posted - 6 July 2013 19:26  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Unless you have some really big reverse lights
all you need is a SPST two way switch.

Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 7 July 2013 14:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
But wouldn't that arrangement also still energize anything else tied into the reverse light circuit?
(The real name for the switch above is Single Pole Double Throw, or SPDT).

One way to do it with a SPDT switch and not back-feed the reverse circuit might be to do this? In one position the reverse lights get 12v, and in the other they are hooked up like normal.
But this means running your reverse circuit up to the dash switch and back. The drawback to this is the two long wires that run from the rear to the front and back and a break or short in either and you won't have normal reverse lights.

Another way might be using a 5-pole relay like this? I always screw up relays, so maybe someone else will post if I did it right?
The idea is the reverse lights would be powered as normal (87a to 30), but if you hit the dash switch the reverse lights would be powered directly from a 12v source (87 to 30). The reason to do this is you would only need 1 switched wire from the dash to the relay and you could pick up 12v hot from somewhere in the back.
That way, the wires for normal operation are very short and the long wire running from the dash to the back of the jeep is only energized when the switch is on. If your wire from the dash melts and shorts you only kill your ability to switch your lights on manually, they'll still work as reverse lights. So this would be best for a failsafe way to do it.

Probably don't need to mention this, but don't forget to put in a fuse between any + and anything you add.

Forums | SWB Technical Forum | wiring question Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed