Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Technical Forum | jeep shuting off Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
shoal1
owensville, MO
Online Member
Posted - 4 July 2013 14:32  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
97 tj jeep shuts down after driving a sort distance I have spark and pressure at fuel rail not sure at injectors let it sit for a hour or so will start back up??? im thinking engine computer?? don't want to by one if it is not what is wrong there kind of $$$

JN JEEP 2
Centralia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 4 July 2013 18:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Is fuel tank venting ok?
pudggie
Oakville, MO
Club Member
Posted - 4 July 2013 22:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Mine was doing that and it was m battery connections
It wouldn't even turn on a dome found it when I went to disconnect to reset the computer wire was nt even corroded bad looked ok
Put a new wire on an been fine till now
Cheap to try it clean posts and terminal and then wiggle the wires while some one tries to start it
shoal1
owensville, MO
Online Member
Posted - 5 July 2013 8:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
not sure on tank vent have pressure at fuel rail so I think it ok.I have power to all elec. and motor turns over just wont start
Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 5 July 2013 9:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Things I tried when mine was doing the same thing. I dont have the stock pump/tank, but once I replaced my external fuel pump it started and ran. I was getting fuel at the rail, but I guess not enough. If you havent checked the pressure, and just pulled the fuel line at the rail, could be pump/filter/regulator.

CPS, TPS, IAC, fuel pump, Dist cap, rotor.

shoal1
owensville, MO
Online Member
Posted - 5 July 2013 20:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Bushwhacker wen you say yours was do the same thing would it drive for 20-30 min.and just shut off and not start up again?? Let it sit maybe a hour and it would start up
bandit
St.Charles, MO
MWJT Director of Trails
Posted - 7 July 2013 10:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Sounds like Crank position sensor.
Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 9 July 2013 13:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Well mine is a buggy now, but started as a 97 TJ. I was having problems on the last couple of runs where it would run for a while, then die and not want to start. I replaced the IAC, rotor, cap, and then my external fuel pump, filter and rubber fuel lines to my cell. Now it seems to run pretty good.
Helldorado Customs
Jefferson City, MO
Club Member
Posted - 9 July 2013 13:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
My '04 rubi did that for a bit. I chased down all the ground connections to the body, frame and engine. I took them off, scuffed them up and cleaned them and reattached. Never had it again. Bottom line, check all ground wires. If you don't know where they are, get a haynes or chiltons manual and you can find them. It's a great investment for a jeep.
Forums | General Technical Forum | jeep shuting off Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed