Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Applying for a patent? Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 15 July 2013 19:53  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Has anyone applied for or gotten a patent? I am trying to find someone that has done it before. I tried to read through the .gov website but with the attention span of a 3 year old that didn't last long...

I really don't have a clue on where to start, I know there are places that will help you but I hear they are very expensive. I am trying to do this without one of those services.. I have run across a couple of people that have patents (in the past), but for the life of me I can't remember who they are now that I need some advice.

Thanks in advance...

Heisman
Manchester, MO
MWJT Director of PR
Posted - 15 July 2013 22:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
I've got one issued and one pending from my past job. Really boring stuff. We used a very expensive agency to do all of ours.
xj6in
Online Member
Posted - 16 July 2013 6:4  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
The expensive part is my worry, working with a one income house hold makes that part a big hurtle and I don't really want to get a middle man involved...
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 16 July 2013 20:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I was looking into this a while ago and the summary of what I found is without a lawyer it will still cost you a few thou over a couple of years. But without a lawyer, you have a good chance of getting a patent that isn't enforceable, or never getting one issued at all.

So, does what you're doing need a patent or can you just make it and sell it without one?

Here's a decent cost summary.
http://www.richardspatentlaw.com/faq/have-an-idea/how-much-does-a-patent-cost/

Edited by - Stalker on 7/16/2013 8:34:06 PM

SOS
Troy, MO
Online Member
Posted - 16 July 2013 21:4  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
It can also cost as much or more money to defend or "Litigate" a patent, as it does to get one. Develope a strategy to get a return on your investment of a patent first, apply for your patent secondary to that.
wiredawg_mg
Columbia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 17 July 2013 12:25  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
One of the reasons it is expensive is because the research that is needed to make sure the great idea you have wasn't already on the books. Also if it is very techincal the wording and description is very important.

It doesn't sound like much fun.

stevepoz
Des Peres, MO
Club Member
Posted - 17 July 2013 12:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
What type of invention do you want to patent?

Once I know, I could ask one of the patent lawyers at my law firm. I believe we file more patents than any other firm in town.

xj6in
Online Member
Posted - 17 July 2013 20:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Its a "tool type product" that would be used on tractor trailers...

I have the ability to make cad drawings on it, so hopefully that would save a little bit...

Heisman
Manchester, MO
MWJT Director of PR
Posted - 17 July 2013 23:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
We submitted a patent only to have it rejected because the patent lawyer didn't actually do a patent search to make sure it wasn't already patented. His response, "You didn't tell me to do a patent search. That would've cost you extra."

We also had someone (an ex employee) that was infringing one of our patents, but we couldn't prove it so he got away with it.

Don't even get me started on all of the patents that are so vague they cover almost everything . . .

Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 18 July 2013 7:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Brad, That is the goal. Make it as broad as possible.
Great for the person holding it, no so much for those looking to make something close.

Forums | General Discussion Forum | Applying for a patent? Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed