Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Running 220 to my garage Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2 
Author Topic
Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Club Member
Posted - 16 July 2013 14:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I'm not real comfortable with anything electrical.

Are there any electricians in the club that would be willing to do a small side job. Its only about 10 feet of wire to run it, but I am paranoid I will burn down my house and my kids bedroom is over the garage.

Thanks

Lee

RichM
Arnold, MO
Online Member
Posted - 18 July 2013 18:56  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
you just pulling it from the box to an outlet? or you doing a sub panel? i can help you pull it from the box to an outlet. let me know
Rich
314-401-3786 txt is best
safetyguy
Fairview Heights, IL
Online Member
Posted - 19 July 2013 14:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Holiday,

It can be done fairly easily, but what are you intending to powerup? Real issue is to determine if you have the available blocks in your panel and what amp your intending to run. An electrician is always the best bet(legal, bonded insured), but I understand what you would like to do. Electrician to install a sub panel, run correct wire to code, install new panel in garage(in conduit if required)and terminate at a recetacle or piece of equipment will be a minimum of 5-6 hundred in labor plus parts. Total bill for that type of work is high.

Check your local codes and install it per code yourself. Its not hard if you have the power spaces in the main. Wire is not cheap and sparkies are not either.

Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Club Member
Posted - 19 July 2013 15:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Thanks Rich I will give you a shout.

Dennis- I already have a sub panel that is completely open with the exception of my washer/dryer so there is plenty of space in the box. The sub panel is in my basement directly below the adjoining wall to my garage, so it would only be roughly 5-10 feet that needed to be run. In my eyes it looks fairly easy, but I am no expert

marvin
Fenton, MO
Club Member
Posted - 20 July 2013 11:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
If memory serves me correctly, the proper gauge wire depends on amps and distance not necessarily the volts? Years since my father and I did any wiring just trying to remember through the fog.
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 20 July 2013 11:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Sounds right to me. I need to run some more myself.
Kooter
Maryland Heights, MO
Club Member
Posted - 20 July 2013 14:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Wire size depends on current draw or amps. I did my own 220v for my welder and 2 post lift. Let me know if you need help. For my Lincoln 180, I have a 30 amp breaker which is overkill with a 10 gauge 100ft extension cord to reach everywhere in the garage. I'd run 12 gauge in your situation.
little95-YJ
Hart of the barn. AKA Barnhart, MO
Online Member
Posted - 30 July 2013 21:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I purchased a compressor I am wanting to set up. 220 single phase. i am thinking 10-3 wire. Going to be 50-75 foot run from the panel. Does this sound correct? Here is the compressor. Rich depending on how long it takes my buddy to show I may contact you for a price to hook up all the wires after i have them run to where I want them.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_221565-14989-LLA3706056_0__?productId=3115863&Ntt=kobalt+60+gallon&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dkobalt%2B60%2Bgallon&facetInfo=

phishermanjohn
belleville, IL
Club Member
Posted - 30 July 2013 21:42  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Kooter,

30 amp breaker? Overkill? Did the NEC call for a 20 amp and you figured bigger is better? Sounds to me like you have put your equipment and home at risk for damage and fire by putting in a breaker that will never trip when it is supposed to. That is extremely dangerous.

Then again, maybe i misinterpreted your post.

RichM
Arnold, MO
Online Member
Posted - 30 July 2013 22:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
yj...no prob, get hold of me
314-401-3786 txt
Rich

Lee, yours should be quick, let me knkow what you decide

Chewy
Imperial, MO
Club Member
Posted - 4 August 2013 10:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Make sure that your box has room for that...most likely does, especially since you won't pull that load all the time. If you have an RV that would benefit with a 30amp circuit with a 220 outlet... :)
RichM
Arnold, MO
Online Member
Posted - 25 August 2013 22:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Lee...ready to wire that thing yet?
RichM
Arnold, MO
Online Member
Posted - 25 August 2013 22:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
yj. 30 amp calls for 10/2 untill you hit 75 feet then up it to 8 gauge.

Rich

Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Club Member
Posted - 26 August 2013 7:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I ended up making an extension cord that runs to my dryer outlet. Seems to be working for the time being.
RichM
Arnold, MO
Online Member
Posted - 26 August 2013 18:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
thats just lazy!!!! but it does work...le me know if you decide to make something more permanent

Rich

loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 26 August 2013 18:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Don't burn the house down Lee !
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Running 220 to my garage Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply