Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Winch lines Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 19 July 2013 16:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Hmm, who to listen to, John Cappa or Chrispy..lol

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/1308_winch_line_decisions_solid_cable_or_righteous_rope/

We’ve actually seen more steel cables destroyed by rust than winch ropes damaged by mud and sun.

Summary: Synthetic winch rope is lighter, stronger, safer, easier to handle, and just altogether more modern than steel cable.
–John Cappa

BulletProof
Kingwood, TX
Club Member
Posted - 19 July 2013 16:32  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
[URL=][IMG][/IMG][/URL]
xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 19 July 2013 19:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
That Butter or Kettle... move over and share...
Heisman
Manchester, MO
MWJT Director of PR
Posted - 19 July 2013 21:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
quote:
I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve had to drag my winch cable over a jagged rock or into the dirt, simply because I had no other choice. Steel cable is the workhorse of the winch drum—it doesn’t care what you drag it across. If I am hanging off of a cliff and relying solely on my winch as my literal lifeline, I don’t want to worry if a synthetic rope condom is still sitting in the right spot.

- Ali Mansour

Jonbo
Zalma, MO
Club Member
Posted - 20 July 2013 6:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I am indifferent for self recovery, but how many wreckers or cranes do you see with synthetic cable?
xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 20 July 2013 6:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
This is like watching a slow starting Horror Film... You are just waiting for the long boring beginning part to end so the action can get going... We should be hearing meat eating chainsaws getting fired up any time now... I try to start it... (looking in the mirror), "bloody Mary, bloody Mary, bloody Mary!?!?!?!"

Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 20 July 2013 7:21  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Really, you're quoting Cappa?

Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 20 July 2013 9:42  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Just pot stirring.
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 21 July 2013 3:7  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
quote:
Summary: When my hide is hanging in the balance, I’ll take steel cable. It’s simple, strong, and proven. There’s no need to fix what isn’t broken.

–Ali Mansour

note: average WORKING lifespan of steel cable, 7-10 years. average WORKING lifespan of twine line, 3-6 months.

but hey, if you want your winch to be a cosmetic decoration rather than a tool, string comes in many colors and sure looks cute out on that bumper. paint your nails to match and you will sure be stylin' down at the salon.. lol

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 21 July 2013 3:14  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
that said, i wont use yarn on my winch, as its exposed to the elements on a constant basis. however, i do keep a 100' length of synthetic in a throw bag in my jeep.. many times ive needed an extra few feet, or needed to run a snatch block to get a better angle on a pull, and lets face it, a 100' coil of steel line is just a pain in the arse, but a bag-o-rope is easy to manage, and stays clean and out of the elements in the back of my jeep.
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 21 July 2013 3:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
from WARN WINCHES (people whose opinion id take over ali or cappa)

http://www.warn.com/blog/2011/11/18/synthetic_rope_vs_steel_rope_which_one_is_best.shtml

quote:
On the flip side, synthetic rope is more prone to abrasion, and should be regularly inspected for frays or other damage caused by UV, chemicals, and overall use. And when using synthetic, you always want to lay down the abrasion sleeve when needed to guard against rope damage.

how many people spool out and clean their winch rope every time its exposed to the elements.. if its a daily driver, basically, every single night? this is mandatory on twine line.. if you tension a dirty yarn line, the grit and abrasives picked up from normal driving act like razors and sandpaper to destroy it from the inside.

quote:
Steel rope is extremely durable, and is good for both vehicle recovery and utility work, such as moving trees, rocks, etc., since it resists abrasion very well. Ultra-violet wear is also not a factor with steel rope.....

quote:
Some people immediately think synthetic rope is safer than steel rope. Although steel rope will store more potential energy, since it's made out of steel, it is less prone to abrasion (and possible fraying).

once again, there are no professional tow/recovery agencies that use twine line.. folks that DEPEND on their winches for their living go with steel.

pretty sure that horse is well beaten. if you care about your life, and use your winch as a tool,depending on it for recovery, then steel is the ONLY choice.

if your winch is a decorative accessory, and you don't really need it for any recovery use, then sting saves you some weight, and you probably wont break a nail despooling it.

obviously, if you compete and the rules of your particular event require string,.. or if your wife/girlfriend bought it for you as a present... you have no choice. kinda like the ugly tie you got your dad for xmas when you were a kid.. he pretty much had to wear it a couple times to make you feel good.

LMTD
St Charles, MO
Online Member
Posted - 25 July 2013 22:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
LOLOLOL

This was indeed entertaining!

Nice sense of humor added Chris.

Forums | General Discussion Forum | Winch lines Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed