Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | Projects | TJ 5.2 Dodge Magnum SWAP Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3 
Author Topic
radar
Webster Groves, MO
Online Member
Posted - 22 July 2013 18:6  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Looks like this area could use some love so here it is ....

I'm almost done gathering parts to swap a 5.2L Dodge Magnum Engine Into my TJ. The 2.5L engine is fine around town, but I sucks on the highway. I'm barely able to sustain 65 on the highway. I've got the engine, wiring harness, radiator, AA Motor Mounts, NV3500 Transmission, and a bunch of other odds and ends.

I've finished splicing the Jeep and Dodge wire harnesses together and I've attached the engine, transmission, and T-case together. I've got a bunch of wiring diagrams and a parts list that I'll post later.

Grace
Fenton,
Online Member
Posted - 23 July 2013 9:12  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Is it running? How tight was it to shimmy in the engine bay? Sounds like a great project. Need picture. Same year engine or newer? How hard was the wiring?
-Marvin
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 23 July 2013 11:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
one thing thats nice, is that the TJ was designed.. way back in the mid 90's.. to accept both powertrains from the ZJ.. but Jeep chose not to CAFE certify the Jeep 5.2 in that chassis for whatever reason...but physically, it should be a (fairly) easy fit.

either way, should be an interesting project. when i was considering this for my TJ, i thought i read you needed a different intake and oilpan to make the dodge motor clear the hood, vs the Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2... but i dont recall the specifics.

radar
Webster Groves, MO
Online Member
Posted - 23 July 2013 13:43  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I haven't done anything to the Jeep yet. I'm trying to get as many parts as possible, and plan things out. Hopefully, that will reduce my total down time. I'll have to work on this in my driveway, and people around here will only tolerate a derelict vehicle in front of someone's house for a couple weeks.

I Plan to start in Mid to late August.

I've read a lot of posts from different forums and web sites about this swap, so I'm pretty confident about everything fitting. I am a little concerned about the oil pan. That would definitely slow me down!

I've got the engine, transmission, Transfer case bolted together and the wire harness is done. Having the wiring harness ready to go before hand should save me a lot of time.

Anyway, I've got family in town this week, so probably won't get much more done this week.

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 23 July 2013 15:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
if you only want to do this once, id suggest selling the nv3500 and picking up a 1996-2001 46RE. in the end you will be much happier with the result, and end up with a better performing rig all around.

JN JEEP 2
Centralia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 23 July 2013 15:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
HighVoltage on this forum did a similar swap several years ago. Not sure what tranny he used.

Best I remember it was a tight fit, but he made it look real nice.

droldz on here put a 5.9 in his TJ.

FWIW...

shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 23 July 2013 17:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Very cool project!Look forward to seeing the progression and finished product
radar
Webster Groves, MO
Online Member
Posted - 23 July 2013 18:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Thanks. I'm hoping everything will go smoothly, but I know better.

About the Transmission: The NV3500 has been the hardest part to source and the most expensive single part I've purchased ($350 from 111 Auto Salvage in Granite City, IL). Your probably correct (about it having a higher potential for failure), but I would never consider putting an auto into a Wrangler. I'm sure people have debated this topic back and forth, but I prefer the manual transmission. I considered using an NV4500, but haven't been able to find one cheap at a local junk yard and they're 700+ on CL (without a bellhousing). Plus, installation sounds more complicated. I would prefer to avoid a body lift.

shoal1
owensville, MO
Online Member
Posted - 23 July 2013 20:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I got 5.2 out of a 2000 dodge truck in mine. 97 tj will fit will need to run a elec.fan and I needed a different air box
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 24 July 2013 2:14  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
radar, you may want to bookmark this post, so in 18 months, when you realize that wranglers just don't work well offroad with manual trannys, you can come back and see what tranny you shoulda used ;)
Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 24 July 2013 9:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I put an NV4500 in my TJ behind my 4.0L at one point. Install isnt too bad if you have the parts. Advance Adapters has everything. Its a tall tranny so you need a body lift to have a skid that doesnt hang way down.
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 24 July 2013 10:26  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
^^^^^ but then, he swapped it out for a 727 automatic, so that his rig would work. :).. pretty much the same story over and over with people who 'think' manuals are better.... lots of time and expense to do it wrong to begin with, then even more time and expense to change everything over to an automatic.
Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 24 July 2013 11:52  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
^^^So glad you know why I decided to do things to MY jeep. For the trails it was perfectly fine. I only swapped it out because it didnt work for rockcrawling. Get the story straight!!!
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 24 July 2013 14:32  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
There goes a perfectly good project thread lol.
radar
Webster Groves, MO
Online Member
Posted - 24 July 2013 19:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I've got an electric fan out of a volvo on standby. Its similar to the ford electric fan that people tend to use, but it comes with some pre-wired relays. I would prefer to stick with the original mechanical fan if possible.

Went an picked up a GC 5.2 PS bracket and pump from Speedway salvage in IL.

Does anyone know the best places to secure a hoist to these engines? The Intake bolts on the front of the engine are surrounded by wiring and other things. The sad part is that I used to work in the Dodge RAM plant, and should remember how it was done in the factory.

Crispy,
I've never used a jeep for anything beyond trails, so I can't comment on the viability of using a manual for rock crawling. I can see how a torque converter would be superior to a clutch in that case, and its always easier to let a computer shift for you (boring, but makes it easier to text and drive). It seems like a lower potential crawl ratio in some of the manual transmissions might make up for that, but what do I know.

Aside from that, I don't plan on doing any rock crawling with this one. Its my summer time-only hardware store/trail jeep. Personally, I'd buy a minivan before I would put an auto in any jeep. Maybe you need to grow a third leg :)

Here's a pic of the engine along with my parts list and diagrams. You'll need Openoffice to view the odg file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/12b3zmxm9enp59v/tj%20new%20engine%20parts%20list.xls

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1azu0m4ghc49g8/wiring%20diagrams.odg

Edited by - radar on 7/25/2013 4:12:14 PM

Edited by - radar on 7/25/2013 4:14:07 PM

Edited by - radar on 7/25/2013 4:16:28 PM

Edited by - radar on 7/25/2013 4:40:00 PM

hack
Glencoe, MO
MWJT Vice President
Posted - 24 July 2013 22:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I love my manual tranny. I drive through rocks on trails but not a "rock crawler". Manual jeeps are more fun to drive. I'm sure crispy is right as he always is. Just ask him. ; )
Forums | Projects | TJ 5.2 Dodge Magnum SWAP Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply