Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | best "cheap" ar15 Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2 
Author Topic
RichM
Arnold, MO
Online Member
Posted - 22 July 2013 20:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
whats the best deal out there right now? i noticed prices are coming back down
Rich
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 23 July 2013 0:7  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
www.slickguns.com

your opening a can of worms when you say 'best' and 'cheap', so im not gonna go there.. tonight...

i currently own a new frontier armory/DPMS hybrid that eats russian ammo up, and have about $600 in it, a Bushmaster XM15-E2S I've only put about 800 rounds through, but so far so good. with the magpul furniture, i have about $800 in this one.

be interesting to see where this thread goes tho.... ;)

Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 23 July 2013 7:7  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I bought one of these new for about $600 before the stupidity:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786006_-1_757784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Shoots anything I've thrown at it, could have possibly built one for cheaper, but figured with the S&W name/rep it was worth the shot.

Edit: I like mine enough I bought the 15-22 version and plan to buy the 308 version when I find one for the right price.

Edited by - Lil Toe on 7/23/2013 7:09:19 AM

Big Chief
St,Charles, MO
Online Member
Posted - 24 July 2013 15:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
The S&W is supposed to be good bang for buck, $7-800 .
the DPMS can be caught on sale for $800 sometimes too, or spend a lil more and get a Sig on sale for $1100 .
Rural King has been getting them, Ultimate Defense was under $800 on the S&W last time I looked .
you can find them cheaper but not going to be a value considering the quality differance
BulletProof
Kingwood, TX
Online Member
Posted - 24 July 2013 16:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
RichM, email me dman111670@gmail.com I have a friend who is an FFL with fair prices, he can probably get you what you want.
RichM
Arnold, MO
Online Member
Posted - 28 July 2013 20:14  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
found a really really clean used smith m/p at a local shop for 650, jhas a nice flip up rear sight too.
still kicking it around
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 29 July 2013 6:32  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
lots of good deals on AR's on www.slickguns.com today, including a thread that lists them all...
RichM
Arnold, MO
Online Member
Posted - 30 July 2013 22:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
the ar is on hold a bit, trying to get my cj2a hot rod on the road before fall cruising season. lowest jeep i have ever owned....
Rich
nate
Middle of nowhere, MO
Online Member
Posted - 2 August 2013 13:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I have an M&P-15 that i carry for a work rifle. Price was right, it's a good runner.

Colt makes the LE6920 and it's a really good value for all of the stuff that comes with it (BUIS, good stock, etc.)

RichM
Arnold, MO
Online Member
Posted - 2 August 2013 19:29  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Nate, i was actually looking at that one. i was issued a rock river when i was with st louis county. that was after we got some******colts (they gave the colts to the LT's....they dont ever get out of the station anyway!!)
they have a nice used one at a shop in festus
nate
Middle of nowhere, MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 August 2013 3:7  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I like mine.
Everything that should be staked is properly staked. The finish is good. Trigger is heavy, but crisp.

YMMV as it seems everyone has a horror story with one of the manufacturers... I have always had great luck with S&W stuff.

chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 3 August 2013 4:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Curious Nate.....the term "properly staked" came up on a forum somewhere so owners of $2000 rifles could feel good about their purchases....but..

what does "properly staked" mean?

what makes it "proper"?.. Is there a manufacturers spec that requires it?

does having it "properly staked" eliminate the need to inspect and clean the weapon after use?

just curious...as at least two high volume manufacturers I've spoken to do not stake, and claim its not necessary and actually a hindrance to builders and enthusiasts....

nate
Middle of nowhere, MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 August 2013 12:26  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
depends on where you are talkin.

Some don't stake the castle nut, some do. The gas key is important though.

chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 3 August 2013 14:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
again, 'some do, some dont' doesn't seem to imply that its 'proper'.

Just for giggles, I checked both my DPMS Oracle A3's BCG (top) and found it 'staked', as was my Bushmaster XM15's (bottom). The DPMS is a sub-$600 weapon with well over 4500 rounds through it, no issues at all, and the Bushy sold for around $800, both of which are considered pretty 'entry level' when it comes to AR's.. there is no need to spend $1200+ to get a decent BCG... or to have those who did needlessly spend an excessive amount of jack try to convince you yours is 'improper'.

Edited by - chrispy on 8/3/2013 2:22:59 PM

nate
Middle of nowhere, MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 August 2013 15:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
My weapon is considered a budget AR... I think it was right at a grand. Our firearms guy looked over it and it got the nod. Like I said - It's a great gun for the money, not to say that a CMMG, DPMS, etc. aren't. I did notice distinct attention to detail with the Smith and Wesson.
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 3 August 2013 16:16  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
S&W builds a decent weapon, and as a manufacturer for many many years, they know the tricks of the trade, probably better than many of these 'i just got out of spec ops, and started a niche AR manufacturing company' start ups.

one thing about S&W... if it matters to you.. they don't build to 'mil spec'. they have many several 'improvements' over the mil spec standard based on their experience and feedback from many years of in the field experience with LE agencies,and others who use their weapons.

this may or may not be a disadvantage to you. one thing that I found interesting, however was that they changed the BCG because, in S&W's own words, 'its just not needed, and can cause misfires on a weapon that isn't fully automatic'.. OK, I can buy that, based on S&W's reputation... but then, when they talk about their barrel, they state '.. improvements that will only be seen after 40,000 or so rounds of fully automatic fire...'

just seems a bit contradictory to me.

one thing I discovered.. ALL the manufacturers are more than willing to respond to emails or even phone calls with respect to their products. Do your research, get a list of questions... ASK THE MANUFACTURE, and decide what weapon you want... then research price and balance local, private, or online prices, and buy it.

Forums | General Discussion Forum | best "cheap" ar15 Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed