Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | Tow Rig Tech | 6.0 Powerstroke Turbocharger Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
Wranglerkenny
Foley, MO
Online Member
Posted - 27 July 2013 17:0  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
OK, gather 'round, all you diesel mechanics. I have an 06 F-250 6.0 Powerstroke. Thursday evening I pulled onto the highway and noticed it did not have its usual acceleration. I noticed it just before the tractor trailer was 1-1/2 inches from running over me. It ran fine, just no acceleration. Later that evening I was going up a steep hill and pushed the accelerator about 2/3 down, usually enough to really take off, and it kicked down two gears and my turbo pressure gauge dropped through the basement. I noticed it does maintain some turbe pressure but not as much as it did before. i also can hear the turbo winding down when I shut the engine off, so I know it is spinning. I have talked to a couple of mechanics, and one said it sounds like the turbo needs cleaning. From what I understood, that meant taking it off, taking it apart, and then reassembling it. Sounds fair and is cheaper than a new turbo.

What say any of you? Have any of you had this similar situation? I anxiously await all of you answers.

"HIS"
02 TJ 4" Long Arm, 1" BL, 4.88's, Belly-up Skid Plate, Front and Rear ARB's, 35-12.50-15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, Warn 9000 Winch
"HERS"
06 Liberty Sport

bluffdweller
member since 1998. Godfrey, IL
Club Member
Posted - 27 July 2013 17:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Maybe check the MAF. (Mass air flow sensor)
xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 27 July 2013 20:6  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
First thing I would do is look for air leaks in all your pressurized areas. Sounds like a boost hose or inner cooler leak... Is your air filter good? make sure you don't have a restriction and your sucking your air inlet hose shut.
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 29 July 2013 6:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
we have a chronic problem with our 6.0 f450 brush truck.. basically, the output hose (pressurized) between the turbo and engine comes loose under pressure. its hard to tell its off (except for the lack of power, of course) until you grab it and move it around...

id check all your air tubes between the turbo and intake.

steveinil
columbia , IL
Club Member
Posted - 31 July 2013 11:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
+1 for checking for leaks
pudggie
Oakville, MO
Club Member
Posted - 2 August 2013 17:0  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I've got a 03 with the 6.0 had same problem ish blew a hole I. My booth at the turbo it's the 90 elbow one and had to replace hose to the mas air sensor o. The pass side shock mount got debris I. The hose I'd start there!
Wranglerkenny
Foley, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 August 2013 15:23  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Thanks! Sounds like I need to be checking for leaks. As soon as I get back from vacation I will start. Is there a pressure gauge I can get for this or do I just listen for a sucking sound?

"HIS"
02 TJ 4" Long Arm, 1" BL, 4.88's, Belly-up Skid Plate, Front and Rear ARB's, 35-12.50-15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, Warn 9000 Winch
"HERS"
06 Liberty Sport

steveinil
columbia , IL
Club Member
Posted - 7 August 2013 11:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
will be a blowing sound will be hard to hear at idle while parked (no real turbo pressure) but a lot of times you can see a hose blew off or leaking look for oil may have an oily mess around where the air leak is around the turbo tubes/hoses
Banjo
Arnold , MO
Club Member
Posted - 15 August 2013 21:35  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
My father in law had the same problem. He bought a new turbo, put it in and it worked for a min. Then, right back to where he was. Turned out to be (I believe) the sensor that Bluffdweller mentioned. I know It's usually one of 2 sensors more times than not. Or so I was told. I'd check the sensors. You don't need to take the turbo out to replace them and they are WAY cheaper than a turbo.
Wranglerkenny
Foley, MO
Online Member
Posted - 23 August 2013 17:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Took my truck to a diesel repair shop on Monday. They drove it around some and were wondering why I had it in there. They seemed to think it had plenty of power and turbo pressure. It was getting all the way to almost 15. I told them that it would normally hit 25 or so if I really got in it, and that, I think is the reason it lost some power. They said that 12 to 15 is as much as it is supposed to have. I don't know about that but I do know it used to have twice as much boost pressure and alot more power. I had them go ahead and take the turbo off and clean the fins. It didnt help.
When I punch it to the floor, the boost will rise to about 12 and then it seems like it hits a peg. After it accelerates some more it will start to rise again, but it is nothing like it was. I did notice the tach was slightly wobbling around 3500 rpm's just before it shifted into 5th gear.
I have put in a new air filter, new fuel filters, some injector cleaner, and I have used some very colorful language. I can find no leaks, neither could the mechanic, and the computer is not throwing any codes.
I'm going to talk to the mechanic again on Monday to discuss some more options. Unfortunately, he is quite satisfied that it runs great and nothing else needs to be done. I will admit it still runs good, but nothing like it was running before.
What kind of boost pressure do any of you with Powerstrokes normally run? Is there a chance the thing has a chip in it and it puked? I bought the truck used with about 25,000 miles on it, so I don't know what was done before. Where would I look to see if it has a chip? Or dip, even.
Right now it is running like a gasoline engine. If it is gonna run like that I may as well sell it and get a gasoline truck and take advantage of the cheaper fuel.

"HIS"
"HERS"
06 Liberty Sport

bigrngyj
st.louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 23 August 2013 19:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
You should be making more boost. It should make 25. If they didnt know that you should have taken your truck and left. I would question the turbo cleaning by them.You have a boost leak or the turbo needs cleaned.
Wranglerkenny
Foley, MO
Online Member
Posted - 23 August 2013 20:21  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I am hoping I have no reason to question whether or not he actually cleaned the turbo. This place works on all my sons tow trucks. I hope he isn't screwing me. It actually is running a bit better now, but it definitely isn't what it was. I agree they should know the boost pressure. They work mainly on large trucks, so maybe they don't know small trucks as well. I will keep looking until I find the problem.

"HIS"
"HERS"
06 Liberty Sport

bigrngyj
st.louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 23 August 2013 20:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Do you have the truck back? There are a few common places for boost leaks. The plastic turbo inlet from the drivers side of the intercooler gets a hole on the bottom side. Both intercooler boots off the left side of the turbo and at the intercooler. There is a vacuum line coming out of the valve cover pass side going up towards the pass fender that is very common to leak. Soapy water in a spray bottle works good,you have to look very close..
Forums | Tow Rig Tech | 6.0 Powerstroke Turbocharger Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed