Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | Jeep Parts - Want To Buy | NP231 or NP207 Transfer Case needed Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2 
Author Topic
Schnelly
Wildwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 28 July 2013 21:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
I need a transfer case for a 1987 YJ. If you have one for sale please give me a call or text to 314-574-8765. Mine was killed by a hidden rock
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 29 July 2013 6:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I have some. Let me know length of input shaft and 21 or 23 spline.
Schnelly
Wildwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 29 July 2013 8:32  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Thanks! I am not sure but it's a stone stock yj. I think it is a 21. I know its a NP207. Please let me know how much you want for one.
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 29 July 2013 19:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
$100 as it sits. $150 if I need to change out the input shaft to fit your Jeep (I've got many input shafts). A new chain is an $80 option if you're interested.
Schnelly
Wildwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 30 July 2013 10:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
I'll take one. Do you recomend going with the NP231 or sticking with the NP207?

I dont think I need a new chain. what are your thoughts on that? Any idea of how I can tell if if mine is the 21 or 23?

Do you know if I will need anything else to match this up to the stock trans?

Thanks for the help.

Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 30 July 2013 12:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I recommend the 231 over the 207 for more aftermarket support, more parts availability, more OEM heavy duty upgrades, and the ability to flat-tow if needed. This may help with info: http://bc4x4.com/faqs/yj.cfm?cat=6&faqid=141

The new chain option is up to you. You're buying a used transfer case and an $80 chain is often cheap insurance against the case having a stretched chain. I recommend a chain replacement for anybody getting into a transfer case with over 80k miles.

Schnelly
Wildwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 2 August 2013 12:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Sounds good. I'll take the 231 with a new chain for 150. how soon do you need your $$?

Do you know if I will need any adapter plates or anything to make this upgrade?

Thanks for the help

Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 2 August 2013 14:56  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Check my post again, 231 with new chain for 150 wasn't an option. It'll cost more.

No adapters needed as long as the 231 has the correct input shaft.

Schnelly
Wildwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 August 2013 10:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
The stock 87 YJ with manual trans came with 21 spline on the NP207. So, I need the 21 spline NP231 with a new chain. The link you sent was a great reference. They also say that I will need the linkage for the swap - the 231 is longer. can you include that? if not, I can buy it from Chrylser for cheap.

I looked through our string and all I see is $100 for the T case or 150 if you need to change the spline. Whats the total for the NP231 with 21 spline and a new chain and the linkage?

Thanks again for your help on this. I'm bummed because my buddies are going out today and Im broke down. Oh well - that's wheelin!!

Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 3 August 2013 14:50  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Are you able to pull the 207 to measure the length of the input shaft?

$230 for the 231 t-case with a new chain.

Schnelly
Wildwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 August 2013 16:35  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Hi. Sorry for the dealy. I think that, just to make everything easy, I should stay with the NP270 with a new chain. do you still have one of those? Is the cost $150? Thanks agian for your help.

Eric

Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 6 August 2013 16:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I don't have any 207's, I scrap them as soon as I get them. I won't rebuild one. Let me know if you're interested in my 231.

If the price is an issue you can always do the chain later, if even necessary.

jeepdirtboy69
dutzow, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 August 2013 18:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Schnelly...go with the 231. Chain is ur choice.
Schnelly
Wildwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 12 August 2013 12:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Thanks again for your paintance with this.
I tried to put in the new leaf spring and it looks like I bent my axel. Nothing lines up on the drivers side. Do you have a Dana 30 front end also?
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 12 August 2013 14:32  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
No, sorry.
Schnelly
Wildwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 18 August 2013 20:40  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Hi there.

I have the cash saved up. I'll take the NP231 without the new chain. when can I pick it up? Your in Woodriver, right? I do a lot of work in Alton so I can swing by next week if your around?

Forums | Jeep Parts - Want To Buy | NP231 or NP207 Transfer Case needed Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply