Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | Trail Head | MOAB Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
Chewy
Imperial, MO
Club Member
Posted - 11 August 2013 10:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Interested in looking at a trip next year to MOAB...where would one start on the trails? I guess there are 4 trails? How hard are the "hard" trails with a stock rubi? Any info would be great! Group trip would be awesome!
Matt
Chewy
Imperial, MO
Club Member
Posted - 11 August 2013 10:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Or even Colorado... :) just want to have a fun trip out west, do some Jeeping, and sight seeing...
1 Long CJ
Highland, IL
Online Member
Posted - 11 August 2013 11:28  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Only 4 Trails?
Contact Red Rock 4 Wheelers, they'll send you a very informative magazine (registration form) before the next EJS.
I'm thinking about doing Colorado next year. No hard plans yet.
shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 11 August 2013 11:29  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I have a excellent book on all the trails at Moab,her somewhere.Looked it over,but that is as far as I got on my Moab trip.
JN JEEP 2
Centralia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 11 August 2013 13:26  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Google FunTreks. Search for Charles A. Wells books on Colorado and Moab.

Good place to start.

DrugDoc
Dix, IL
Club Member
Posted - 11 August 2013 17:11  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
2nd the Funtreks book. I think the EJS has trails rated 1-8 or 9. Seems like Funtreks only has easy, moderate, hard. I did some of his "hard" that were no issue at all, other that was scary. So, wide variation in ratings and reasons for the ratings.
I am planning on going back to Moab next year, not sure if during EJS or not.
Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 11 August 2013 17:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Matt, I third the Charles Wells Guide to 4 Wheeling Moab.

http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=6&virtuemart_category_id=1&Itemid=32

There are much more than 4 trails. Much more.
When are you planning to go?
Next year will be my 8th or 9th year. Havent been to EJS yet, though.

A stock Rubi will run most all of them with some experience and good spotting. There are some really tippy spots that the book can warn you about. Many bypasses but some of the Difficults do not have bypass.
Some trails are rated Difficult strictly due to pucker factor. The book explains that it is written with all folks in mind.

If you remind me before the nextg meeting, I can bring a book to show you. Well worth the purchase though.

Tip: When you order the book, look for the one with the ringed binder. The glued books fall apart. Maybe not for occasional use but when you take it on the trails, or the numerous openings to ogle the trail pics, it will come apart.

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

Edited by - Mr Moke on 8/11/2013 5:31:37 PM

shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 11 August 2013 17:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
That is the book I have,excellent!
moparman
elsberry, MO
Online Member
Posted - 11 August 2013 19:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Definitely get the funtrek books, just took a trip to ouray co did black bear and imogene then treked out to moab, where there are probably hundreds of trails. Both the co and moab books were very accurate. Best vacation ever.definitely a must do for jeepers.
Chewy
Imperial, MO
Club Member
Posted - 11 August 2013 23:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Awesome info!!! Maybe we can get a MWJT trip? Hehe
tae73
Jefferson City, MO
Club Member
Posted - 12 August 2013 8:28  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
If you do end up with the hard bound book, you can take it to kinko's and they can cut and put it in a spiral binder.

For the money EJS is not a bad deal. Also check out www.Traildamage.com has a list of the trails. But the book is the best.

Edited by - tae73 on 8/12/2013 8:29:13 AM

Edited by - tae73 on 8/12/2013 8:29:51 AM

Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 12 August 2013 23:1  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
A good addition to the Funtreks books is a phone app called Everytrail Pro. It's available for iPhone and Android and it's like street GPS for trails. There's a free version, or a paid version. Get the paid version because it lets you download the trails to your phone before getting out of cell phone coverage. Follow the blue line and you'll know you're on the trail. (It uses the satellite signal your phone receives when out of cell coverage.)

It does other types of activities, not just jeep trails. Hiking, biking, etc.

http://www.everytrail.com/mobile

Tiger Shark
Manchester, MO
Online Member
Posted - 14 August 2013 18:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
This site show has a lot of the major trails around Ouray in Colorado:
http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html

Jim

tae73
Jefferson City, MO
Club Member
Posted - 15 August 2013 7:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Also check out www.traildamage.com for a list of trails and their rating.
Forums | Trail Head | MOAB Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed