Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Technical Forum | Optima Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
marvin
Fenton, MO
Club Member
Posted - 16 August 2013 14:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Wasn't sure where to post this but here it goes...

Back in March of '10, I bought a new battery for the JK. I decided to go with an Optima yellow top because I had great reliability with it in the TJ. But, the one I got for the JK went bad. I know that it had a full replacement within the first 3 years and then prorated after. I thought, prorate discounted for only 4 months should be pretty good right? Wrong!! I was only going to get a 15$ discount on a new one. I will never buy another Optima battery again!!! Got a better CCA and better warranty at half the price through Oriellys. Rant over..

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 16 August 2013 14:28  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
from my understanding, the 'new' optima's have a 3 year fixed warranty... and that is from date of manufacture unless you have an original dated sales receipt.

optima has gone downhill since they changed ownership, and their prices went up quite a bit at the same time. you did right in my opinion choosing a different manufacturer.

http://d26maze4pb6to3.cloudfront.net/9613/4997/8047/Optima_Consumer_Warranty_101112.pdf

http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/support/warranties/on-or-after-2-1-2009/

OPTIMA YELLOWTOP WARRANTY INFORMATION
D34/78, D75/25, D34, D35, D51, D51R Automotive, LTV, DS46B24R, Car Audio
36 months free replacement
Series String Applications With Battery Management System or CV/CC Charge Method
12 Months
Series String Applications Without Battery Management System
1 Month

Back to Top ▲

COMMERCIAL YELLOWTOP WARRANTY INFORMATION
D31A, D31T Commercial
24 months free replacement.
D34/78, D75/25, D34, D35, D51, D51R, DS46B24R, Commercial
12 months free replacement
Series String Applications with battery management system or CV/CC charge method above
12 months
Series String Applications without battery management system 1 month

Back to Top ▲

OPTIMA REDTOP WARRANTY INFORMATION
6V, 12V Passenger Vehicle / Light Truck (noncommercial)
36 Months Free Replacement
Commercial
12 Months Free Replacement
Abusive service / Deep Cycle Applications / Car Audio
Not covered

Back to Top ▲

OPTIMA BLUETOP WARRANTY INFORMATION
All BlueTop starting and dual purpose batteries
24 months free replacement
Series String Applications with battery management system or CV/CC charge method above (deep cycle only)
12 months
Series String Applications without battery management system (deep cycle only)
1 month

JN JEEP 2
Centralia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 16 August 2013 15:16  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I had a couple of O'Reilly's batteries. They were ok but didn't hold up to a couple of oops where I drained it too low.

I put an Interstate in TJ a while back and it has held up well so far. Wasn't as cheap as O'Reilly's, but bought it thru a dealer friend.

Has good "numbers". Don't recall what right now.

It is a big heavy bastard as I recall.

Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 16 August 2013 20:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I wasn't really thrilled about my last Optima Red, so I went with a DieHard Gold Advanced. It's also an AGM battery and was about $145 which was $65 less than Optima. http://www.diehard.com/products/automotive#advgold

Although I think just about every battery is made by Johnson Controls these days. (Including Optima)
http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-makes-die-hard-batteries/

Been happy with it so far, but it's only been 2 weeks.

loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 16 August 2013 22:21  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Diehard platinum or Odessy batteries have been getting good reviews lately. Both AGM type batteries. I ended up purchasing a AGM battery from carquest just due to low stock around here at sears and location. Enersys is the manufacturer of the Die Hard Platinum and Odessy.

Edited by - loadbreak on 8/16/2013 10:29:45 PM

Edited by - loadbreak on 8/20/2013 8:30:46 PM

ofrdman
Springfield, IL
Club Member
Posted - 21 August 2013 5:50  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I agree that optima have really gone down hill. I went the route of die hard platinum about a year ago. It was a bit more pricey even than the optima but has way better reviews online from jeepers.
RichM
Arnold, MO
Online Member
Posted - 21 August 2013 20:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
ellis battery has a couple pallets of blem case agm batteries for under 80. also they stock the knock off optima blue tops. i think they get 69 for them.
pudggie
Oakville, MO
Club Member
Posted - 4 September 2013 8:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I use south county auto parts off Revios barracks there batteries carry a 7 yr warranty from manufacty date just make sure you put clear tape over the sticker on the battery that has to be there warranty
636Rubi
ofallon, MO
Club Member
Posted - 5 September 2013 13:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Hey I had a battery issue recently with another vehicle and opted to NOT use the Oddesy battery. I decided instead to go with the AGM from Autozone. Much cheaper, great warranty and you get the bonus points to apply to whatever other project you will no doubt have in the future.

my $.02

n0azz
Monett, MO
Club Member
Posted - 11 September 2013 19:5  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I'm a amateur radio operator and setup for emergency operations. I have a backup power setup of 6 Optima batteries using duel 70 amp power supplies that power radios and keep the batteries topped off also solar. This is my second set of them replaced the first set after 10 yrs and bought this set. Never had a failure yet but who knows could happen tomorrow.

The 2 I use in my bass boat was another story never got past 3 1/2 yrs with them so switched to Wal-Mart ones lol. I think the reason was mostly my fault and not keeping a trickle charger on them in the winter.

There have been some real changes in batteries in the last several years for all applications, some of the latest and greatest are just that but hold on to your wallet.

One thing that disappointed me was the small battery tray area in my XJ left me with using a much smaller battery than I wanted only 675 CCA. IMHO a bit on the small side when a winch comes into play.

Fred

JeepinJason
Clayton, NC
Online Member
Posted - 30 September 2013 8:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Late to the game on this one, but over half of the Optima batteries that we take back are still good, but were deeply discharged and not correctly recovered as shown in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slqd73ZOQvI

JeepinJason
Clayton, NC
Online Member
Posted - 30 September 2013 8:42  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Late to the game on this one, but over half of the Optima batteries that we take back are still good, but were deeply discharged and not correctly recovered as shown in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slqd73ZOQvI

Forums | General Technical Forum | Optima Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed