Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Bent front end. New axel or just hub? Rock vs Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
Schnelly
Wildwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 17 August 2013 9:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Ugh. 1987 yj vs big rock. Rock won. Bent the leaf spring back and shattered the transfer case. Went to put on new leaf spring (rough country sold me the replacement for $62 including shipment). When I got into it, nothing lined up. Looking at the axel I can see how the shock is straight up and down and the axel tube is not below the rubber hub. It is pushed back by about 3". Bounty hunter has been great helping me with the transfer case but now I don't know if I need to replace the whole front end or just slide the axel out and bend the tube back? How hard can a front end replacement be anyway? I have a duct tape on hand. Anyone know any good links?
Schnelly
Wildwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 18 August 2013 11:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Update. Front end does not look bent. Looks pushed back. Frame not bent. Have you ever seen this before?
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 18 August 2013 13:6  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Commonly a broken center pin in the leaf spring allows the axle to shift on the spring.
MikeGordon
Mascoutah, IL
Online Member
Posted - 18 August 2013 13:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Did you put the new spring in backwards? Did you just replace the one leaf? Was it the correct one?
Schnelly
Wildwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 18 August 2013 16:1  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
B.h. Center pin in leaf spring - do you mean the little nipple or nut on the spring that nests on the flat piece which holds the spring on with the ubolts? If so, that can't be because it's a new leaf spring. Or do you mean a pin in the front differential?

FYI - finally got the transfer case down but I can't find any markings showing me which type it is. I think it is 21 spline. What do you need to know for the np271? I want to pick that up next week if possible?

Schnelly
Wildwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 18 August 2013 20:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Mike - yes, new spring - just one but it's not on yet. After the brawl with the rock, the drivers side tire was rubbing against the body. Upon inspection, the hub is not bent, the axel spins freely with no noise. It just looks like the whole front end is pushed back on the drivers side. I hate to tow it to a shop but I think thats about the best bet after I fix the transfer case.
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 19 August 2013 13:0  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
The centerpin is the bolt which holds the leaves together in the spring pack, and it also serves to locate the axle as the spring pad has a hole that fits over the centerpin.

I was guessing a broken centerpin before the spring was replaced, it's fairly common when a front wheel contacts an immovable object.

I would compare the new spring with the other front spring as far as length and location of centerpin. Keep in mind that it's always best to replace springs in pairs.

Schnelly
Wildwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 16 September 2013 15:34  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Case closed. I put the winch on the axel and it pulled back in place. Simple solutions.....
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 16 September 2013 17:6  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Centerpin intact? What allowed the axle to move?
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Bent front end. New axel or just hub? Rock vs Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply