Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Good Diff Shop Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
muddysamurai

St. Clair, MO
Online Member
Posted - 21 August 2013 19:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Looking for a shop around the Franklin County area that knows their way around a 8.25 rear end in a 05 Grand Cherokee.
I have a high pitch whine that's loudest between 65-75 mph under light load. The shop I got it back from can hear the whine and thought it was a wheel bearing, replaced it and the whine is still there. They said it needs to get louder before they can determine where in the diff it is at (it's pretty loud). I don't think they are to comfortable with diff work. The shop needs to be ASC certified so my extended warranty will cover it.

1987 Suzuki Samurai SOA with YJ spring conversion; Weber carb.; 2" Thorly Header W/2" flowmaster; Front Diff. Rock plate; Custom Front Bumper; T-case skid plate, and much more just ask!

little95-YJ
Hart of the barn. AKA Barnhart, MO
Online Member
Posted - 21 August 2013 22:1  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Might try b&d I think is the name they do good work and are out in that area. Otherwise the norm of axle boy or custom diffs.
muddysamurai

St. Clair, MO
Online Member
Posted - 22 August 2013 16:14  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Thanks for the recommendation. I have heard of B&D, I think I will give them a try.

1987 Suzuki Samurai SOA with YJ spring conversion; Weber carb.; 2" Thorly Header W/2" flowmaster; Front Diff. Rock plate; Custom Front Bumper; T-case skid plate, and much more just ask!

muddysamurai

St. Clair, MO
Online Member
Posted - 14 September 2013 7:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I took it to brian at B&D. he did a great job, he knew what the problem was by just my description. He tore it apart and it was the pinion bearings. One of the carrier bearings was going also. He replaced all the beaings and now I have a quiet ride. The best part was the warranty covered it all.

little95-YJ
Hart of the barn. AKA Barnhart, MO
Online Member
Posted - 14 September 2013 9:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Good to hear. I've always heard he did good honest work but have never used him. I do all my own differential work. Now to find a place to get my jeep inspected.
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 14 September 2013 17:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
http://www.custom-differentials.com/

not the closest, but, closer than say crawlertech out here in colorado :)

BradXJ
St. Louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 19 September 2013 9:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
We do diffs, standard transmissions + tcases at my shop. Schiele has been in business almost 30 years. We have a great reputation and do quality work for reasonable prices.
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Good Diff Shop Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed