Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Technical Forum | weld or not to weld that is the ? Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
chunk
quincy, IL
Online Member
Posted - 27 August 2013 14:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
i am looking for input on welding the front end in my xj. the reason being is every year some friends and i have mud bog in the fall. i am thinking about parting the jeep out afterwords anyway but was wanting input from people who has done it. i am planning on welding the rear and i may just stick with that. not sure yet.
steveinil
columbia , IL
Club Member
Posted - 27 August 2013 15:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
i know people do it if they have lockout hubs not sure on welding it without.
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 27 August 2013 15:40  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I ran welded stock axles at both ends of my YJ for a long time, now run spools in both d44's.
Helldorado Customs
Jefferson City, MO
Club Member
Posted - 28 August 2013 8:16  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
When I went out to moab, I had the front welded. It worked...but man was I tired afterward. It's ALOT of work. What normally is a 2pt turn = 6pt turn. There is no driving at any speed above 5mph without darting off to one side or the other depending on acceleration or deceleration. But since your doing a bog...basically straight line....go for it. Not sure what axles you have....but be prepared for carnage. High wheel speed and lincoln locked generally result in explosions ;-)
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 28 August 2013 23:44  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
"There is no driving at any speed above 5mph without darting off to one side or the other depending on acceleration or deceleration."

id suspect something else is was wrong. a welded front/rear end should not cause 'darting'... it should be much more predictable and controllable than an automatic locker... at least thats been my experience with several spooled and welded front end vehicles ive run.

but yes, it will be hard to turn and have a tendency to drive in a straight line in a low traction environment. after running dual spools for a while, i went to an automatic locker in the front of my XJ, which was unnoticable in 2wd...

Edited by - chrispy on 8/28/2013 11:45:13 PM

Forums | General Technical Forum | weld or not to weld that is the ? Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed