Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Fuel Efficient Vehicles Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
phishermanjohn
belleville, IL
Club Member
Posted - 28 August 2013 23:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
I am getting tired of driving the xj around everyday and getting sucky mileage. Thinking about getting a fuel sipper to DD. What does the board recommend?
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 28 August 2013 23:58  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
i recommend balancing the cost of said vehicle, along with additional insurance, license, fees, maintenance etc with the additional vehicle.

example: if you drive 20k miles a year, at 12mpg, your putting 1666 gallons of fuel in annually, spending 5833/year.

if you buy a vehicle getting 35mpg, you'll only spend 2000/year... saving you $3833/year, or $319/month.

so factor in insurance costs, fees, etc, and see what you can afford. a 'new' econobox likely wont pay for itself unless you factor in reliability, etc...

everyone has their preference... look up TCO of used cars, and make your best guess...
http://www.edmunds.com/tco.html

example, a 2008 Toyota corolla could cost about 8000 to buy, giving you a perceived break even point of just over 2 years...

but the expected TCO rackes up to about 33k over 5 years, depending on various issues... 33k buys a lot of fuel..

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/corolla/2008/tco.html?style=100884946

you could take a chance at a well maintained early 90's civic or corolla, both get about 40mpg, and can be bought around for around 2k in good shape.

anyway, run the numbers, and figure it out for yourself... its basic math.

safetyguy
Fairview Heights, IL
Online Member
Posted - 29 August 2013 7:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Yep, What he said.

I've had a VW Golf TDI for 2 years now. Steady 46 mpg. Warranty is nice, but nothin major yet. 525-560 miles per tank.

This all depends what you like to do. For example. I love my Golf, but I would not even take it on a gravel road. Comfortable? Yes, but sits really low to ground and hard to see in traffic. Peppy? yep....

Cool factor...In the middle of Audi Engineered sportscar and chic clown car.

If I really had the bucks Id pop for a Audi Q7 TDI. Full size SUV with 24-29 MPG

Of Course if you had the bucks for that, you would not be posting this question.....

Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Online Member
Posted - 29 August 2013 10:5  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I bought a cheap 05 Nissan Altima several years ago with 50,000 miles. It gets 32 mpg and now has 180,000 miles on it with just oil changes, break pads, and tires.
Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 29 August 2013 10:14  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Like they said, do the math. I was DD'ing an F350 Powerstroke and went to a new Focus in 2005, it's paid for itself a couple of times over with my 100 mile commute. I drove the truck and trailer in yesterday and was thinking how did I ever drive this pig every day.

I'm now at the point of thinking about replacing/upgrading, looking at the Focus ST, Fiesta ST (though this may be too small) Veloster Turbo, lightly used G8 GT, but it's still probably a couple yrs down the road. All I've done are tires, struts, and oil changes, couple small electrical items, still have the original brakes and battery at 120k.

kpound
Wentzville, MO
Online Member
Posted - 29 August 2013 11:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Ditto on the #'s.

Check craigslist for "newer" cars.
I lucked out & got a 2012 Chevy Sonic with 800 miles from a private seller on Craigslist.
He owned it 3 months & I saved $3k off the new sticker price. Bank got me 1% financing.
35 mpg & $30 a week in gas.
I was spending $70+ a week DD my TJ.

j-mox
Chaffee, MO
Online Member
Posted - 30 August 2013 0:29  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I say it may depend on how far you drive.

I bought a 1988 Toyota pickup about 8 years ago for $1500. Put over 100,000 miles on it and sold it for $1100 last month. I was driving 60 mile round trip to work.

It was fine for that but a long commute I would spend the money on something newer. I drive a Honda Civic now and would take it about anywhere and still get 35mpg.

It doesn't take long to pay for a cheap car with fuel prices what they are now.

jeepsick
Winfield, MO
Online Member
Posted - 2 September 2013 23:7  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
2002 and older Saturn Hands down. If you're lucky enough to find 99 or older coupe with a stick and SOHC engine you'll get 44 to 48mpg on premium or 36mpg on Regular. Easy to repair, 300k out of an engine, if you can keep oil in it. Parts are cheap and repairs are easy. The automatics will still get 36mpg but the sticks are the way to go if you want the best bang for the buck.
xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 September 2013 19:53  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Also stay away from stuff with bigger fancy wheels. Just stay with low end factory ones, 15" style tires are a ton cheaper then 18"s etc... 1 tire on my truck (or jeep) is the same cost as 4 tires on my little car...

Remember its not just MPG, it's also cost per mile, (oil changes, tires, etc)...

n0azz
Monett, MO
Online Member
Posted - 11 September 2013 18:44  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
My Lincoln Town Car gets 25 mpg highway 21 combined with every creature comfort.

Or my Grand Cherokee Overland again every option and it gets 19 highway 16 around town. Not bad considering it's full time 4WD and it is a pleasure to drive.

Fred

little95-YJ
Hart of the barn. AKA Barnhart, MO
Online Member
Posted - 11 September 2013 20:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I think I need a town car. Oh wait I'm in the same position and I'm getting a free dodge stratus. I'm thinking that will double my fuel mileage over my truck for my nearly 100 mile a day commute for work.
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Fuel Efficient Vehicles Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply