Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | JK Spares to keep on hand Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
Jersey
St Peters, MO
Club Member
Posted - 1 September 2013 7:6  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I'm thinking of dumping a few bucks on a 'spare kit' for my 2010 JK. Since I know a few of you out there are no stranger to breaks and fixes, I figure I'd ask for some help building a small ist.

I know you can never have 'everything' - but my goal is to maybe have one of each of the 3 most common things that one would break (and maybe even some tools that would be needed to do it).

Most of you know my rig, but in case - its a 2010 JK, stock D30/D44 combo; stock shafts.

shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 1 September 2013 8:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Both front axles and a rear axle.
jkelly64
St. Louis , MO
Club Member
Posted - 1 September 2013 10:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Don't forget to have plenty of Hose clamps on hand too
loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 1 September 2013 13:52  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Since you do not have a rubicon, 1 spare JK rear shaft fits both sides. Spare fronts is a good call also.
Like Jeff Kelly, an assortment of 1.5-3" hose clamps :), which I need to restock.
Peep
Columbia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 1 September 2013 14:1  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Brake lines are easy to transport.
loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 1 September 2013 14:11  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Plus extra fluid. Large Brake fluid, engine oil and Chrysler ATF+4 for the PS or trans.

Edited by - loadbreak on 9/1/2013 3:05:52 PM

pudggie
Oakville, MO
Club Member
Posted - 1 September 2013 14:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Anti frezze and some hoses to go with the clamps jug of water spare uni bearing
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 2 September 2013 3:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
not disagreeing with any of the list, but keep in mind that the JK is already a tubby b!tch.. and weight is its worst enemy.... do you really need to carry 70# of axle shafts, 50# of tools, plus all the other usual junk everywhere? adding all that extra weight may actually cause failures and reduce capability...
Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Club Member
Posted - 2 September 2013 7:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
IMHO a set of axle shafts is cheap insurance that can be swapped in 20 minutes and not be a burden to the group.
Jersey
St Peters, MO
Club Member
Posted - 2 September 2013 8:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
If safe to do so, id likely keep heavy items at base camp / locked in a vehicle or stored in a tent if i trust where I am. Goal is to get out alive, so to speak...

Sounds like shafts are the best advice. Surprised I didn't hear u joints and what not. Granted, you all know mechanically speaking I'm Lenny (not George), but I had heard that u joints go and are good to have.

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 2 September 2013 8:50  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
yea, a lot depends on the type of wheeling you do. if you typically go to 'parks' where your fairly close to the tow rig/base camp, keeping the stuff on the truck/trailer is the way to go.

something to note: a few months ago, Dana released new 'stock' shafts for the JK 44.. I won a set of them at EJS this year for my 2010 rubicon, and they are beefer where they need to be than the older generation shafts.

usually i say to run what you got till it breaks, but, these shafts are inexpensive enough to get a set to replace what you got, and keep your 'stock' shafts as spares.

Heres what one site has to say about them.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2688-NEW-2013-JK-OEM-Dana-44-Front-Axle-Shafts

shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 2 September 2013 10:42  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Jersey,I found it was easier to change axle,than try to replace Ujoint.Ujoint are easier to change st home.
Forums | General Discussion Forum | JK Spares to keep on hand Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed