Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | time for a new front axle i guess Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 5 September 2013 23:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Pulled the trigger on a ProRock44 for the JK...

getting it installed Monday at the new Colorado NORTHRIDGE4X4 shop...

BulletProof
Kingwood, TX
Online Member
Posted - 5 September 2013 23:40  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Nice.
JohnsonM
St. louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 September 2013 6:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Now look I'm not trying to stir the pot here but what are you gaining? The JK 44 gears have proven to be the strongest gears in a factory 44. I assume it runs thicker tubes, but what about the inner and outer C's and ball joints do those parts get upgraded as well? Lockout option? Bigger breaks?

Edit: What are you doing with the factory front end?

Edited by - JohnsonM on 9/6/2013 6:44:10 AM

wiredawg_mg
Columbia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 6 September 2013 7:21  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
The tubes are much thicker and larger in diameter. The inner C's are massive compared to the factory C's. The outers are the same. There are a number of upgrade ball joints in the aftermarket that I hope Chris chose over the factory. You can now go to a 35 spline axle shaft. The brackets are all much thicker. And you get to keep your ground clearence.

Enough good reasons for me

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 6 September 2013 8:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
simple. my sleeved, reinforced, stock axle tubes are bent. with the prorock I get much stronger tubes..

the one pictured on the right is the standard prorock 5/16", but i went ahead with the 1/2" tubes.

and as stated above, the end castings are quite beefy compared to stock

http://www.dynatrac.com/products/jk/pro-rock44.html#

for shafts, im going to continue to run the 'Spicer Life Series' shafts i got at EJS last year... quite a bit stronger than 'stock' 2010 jk shafts (new JK's ship with them)..

and i ordered synergy suspension ball joints about 3 weeks ago before i decided to replace the housing.

I am likely going to be running the reid racing knuckles

but I havent made up my mind yet.. i dont want to replace my currie currectlync steering setup, and i need to make sure everything clears with these knuckles.

ill be reusing my stock locker, and also, the 5.38 gears already in the rig.

and yes, i gain over an inch of front axle clearance.

next year(or so), ill be doing the prorock 60 rear to match.

JohnsonM
St. louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 September 2013 11:43  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
So slightly bigger axle tubes, better inner and outer C's but the same dia. ball joints, making then the weakest link.I just would have thought that a truss system, and a set of outers would have gotten you the same results. For about half the cost?

Sorry I missed the part that your tubes were already bent.

Edited by - JohnsonM on 9/6/2013 11:58:37 AM

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 6 September 2013 14:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
the synergy suspension ball joints are quite a bit beefier than the stock units,

and eliminate the plastic inner on stock joints, which tends to self destruct quickly.

TAZMATIC
Saint Peters, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 September 2013 16:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
When you do the work.....

Please set your parking brake

Block the wheels

Close the garage door

Drill anchors into the concrete and secure with a strap

Use your winch and tree saver to the nearest tree

Have your driveway graded to include a runaway jeep ramp

You know I love Toyotas and the nice people who brought us Pearl Harbor. I'd hate to see another one destroyed

JohnsonM
St. louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 September 2013 16:49  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Yeah right what are the chances of lighting striking twice in one spot? I say let it ride.
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 6 September 2013 21:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
naw, i'm having it installed.. i don't do gears often enough to trust myself on a road driven vehicle, and there wasn't much difference in labor cost or time, since they are taking the gears and locker from my stock axle... no chance of it happening on this exercise..

i am however felling a large diameter tree along the edge of the driveway... not a hickory tree, so I should be safe...which should prevent any future mishaps from getting out of control.

Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 7 September 2013 17:25  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Very nice!

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

marvin
Fenton, MO
Club Member
Posted - 7 September 2013 21:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Very nice. On my list when mine gives up the ghost, and I know that it will happen sometime.
Boyer343
Belleville, IL
Club Member
Posted - 9 September 2013 13:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Nice! Looking to add one myself as soon as funds allow.
loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 9 September 2013 16:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Excellent choice Chrispy ;)
Forums | General Discussion Forum | time for a new front axle i guess Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed