Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | JK Ball Joint replacement Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
JKRockStomper
Saint Louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 9 September 2013 13:6  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Would you replace the ball joints yourself or take it some where, especially if they are $900 for parts and labor?

I am trying to see if it is a difficult job that I can do or not.

Helldorado Customs
Jefferson City, MO
Club Member
Posted - 9 September 2013 17:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
They are relatively painless. You can rent the press from any autozone or oreilly. Actually a good learning project. If you lived closer we could do it in a couple hrs. There are YouTube videos, write ups...etc..to guide you if you decide to do it. Your also welcome to call if you have any questions or concerns. Cheers !
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 9 September 2013 21:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
its time consuming, but, straight forward. $900 is a bit much. rent the press, get some good ball joints, and free up a weekend day.
pudggie
Oakville, MO
Club Member
Posted - 9 September 2013 23:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I will be bringing my ball joint press to jeep stock just in case!!
I did the ones on my. F350 in 5 hrs would had Been faster had I had a second set of hand s to help hold the press
JKRockStomper
Saint Louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 10 September 2013 8:21  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
do not bring the press on my account. I have to get the joints in by this weekend so I can make Jeepstock
pudggie
Oakville, MO
Club Member
Posted - 11 September 2013 20:29  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
No it's in my tool bag it's Impactable and I'm also bringing a air hammer fan clutch remover and ball joint spreader along with extra parts for al sorts of things along with a air compressor to run it all
tschneider
Saint Charles, MO
Online Member
Posted - 13 September 2013 13:26  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I did my lowers on my front along with the wheel bearings. Really they are not too bad. Just takes time to get them out. With the right parts it is not bad. Soak the bolts in liquid wrench the night before if possible.
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | JK Ball Joint replacement Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed