Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Air bag ? Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
pudggie
Oakville, MO
Club Member
Posted - 14 September 2013 20:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I was thinking of dis connecting the air bags in my jeep for jeep stock while off road. Is this possible or am I over thinking it

Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 14 September 2013 21:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Overthinking it. I've never popped mine and I've flopped a couple of times and done other silly stuff.

Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 15 September 2013 1:1  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I once heard someone say something that makes sense. If you hit something hard enough to pop the air bags, you probably want them coming out.
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 15 September 2013 11:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Correct. The computer is smart enough that if the airbags deploy it's a good chance you needed them.

On this note, has anybody seen them deploy while wheeling?

pudggie
Oakville, MO
Club Member
Posted - 15 September 2013 16:3  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I was just under the impression they deployed at any impact with a stock front bumper
Heisman
Manchester, MO
MWJT Director of PR
Posted - 16 September 2013 6:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
No, it's not the bumper that does it. I don't know where the sensor is in a TJ, but a lot of the time it's somewhere in the passenger compartment.
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 16 September 2013 22:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Air bags require sudden deceleration to deploy. It was explained to me several years ago that the most common sensor uses a ball held in place by a magnet. If the vehicle stops fast enough to dislodge the ball from the magnet, it will move forward in a small tube and hit contacts which will trigger the airbag. I suppose there are other sensor mechanisms also.

So yes, that youtube video where the old lady hits the bumper of the car honking at her with her purse, and the airbag pops put...
It's fake.

Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 17 September 2013 20:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I have never seen one deploy.
Jeep things dont work as they should anyway.

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

JohnsonM
St. louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 18 September 2013 7:50  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Pudg I wouldn't worry about it, that being said they do have fuses... Wink Wink...
suzjeep
Bloomsdale, MO
Club Member
Posted - 24 September 2013 13:2  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I will go on record to say I'm highly disappointed in your that you didn't blow your air bag this weekend...........or did you not eat the beans?
BernerDad
Ellisville, MO
MWJT Secretary/ Membership
Posted - 24 September 2013 20:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Note to self... increase the garlic in the beans, and maybe add a little hotter peppers... :-)
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Air bag ? Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply