Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Plasti dip question Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
Banjo
Arnold , MO
Club Member
Posted - 15 September 2013 21:50  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
First, has anyone here used it? Second, where can you get it locally? I'm planning doing my wheels either black or gun metal grey with a gloss coat. I'm not painting the whole wheel either. Thinking about doing just the spokes and leaving a silver ring around the outside. Thoughts, worries, pros and cons welcome.
snap-on
Peoria, IL
Online Member
Posted - 15 September 2013 23:32  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
i get it in the "little" cans from harbor freight. HD/lowes has it also.

I use the little cans to dip old tool handles in. like old plyers and whatnot. gives old bare steel handles the nice rubber gip that new ones have.

steveinil
columbia , IL
Club Member
Posted - 16 September 2013 6:50  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
i did my wheels turned out good and lasts pretty long and did my rear bumper and grill home depot has black you can buy different colors online though pretty cool stuff honestly
BLACKLOCK
Valmeyer, IL
Online Member
Posted - 16 September 2013 12:16  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I just did my spare yesterday. You can get it at homedepot, walmart lowes. The home depot on watson at 44 has black, white, gray, order and blue. I used about half a can for the wheel. If you mask off the edge you need to remove the tape while its still wet or it will peel off when you do it later.
Banjo
Arnold , MO
Club Member
Posted - 16 September 2013 15:12  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Awesome! That's good advice about pulling the tape off while its wet. I didn't even think of that. Blacklock, what color did you use on your wheel? I'm debating on black or gun metal and weather or not I want to use the gloss or metal enhancer too.
Boyer343
Belleville, IL
Club Member
Posted - 16 September 2013 15:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Home depot usually has it for a decent price.
BernerDad
Ellisville, MO
MWJT Secretary/ Membership
Posted - 16 September 2013 17:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I did my grill with it, and it worked great. The biggest thing I learned was around getting nice even coats. I've never really spray-canned anything, so I'd guess if you have some experience with doing that, you'd do just fine.
JaneS
Chesterfield, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 17 September 2013 12:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
For wheels- wouldn't it get the heck scratched out of it?
BLACKLOCK
Valmeyer, IL
Online Member
Posted - 17 September 2013 12:25  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I did the black with no gloss. I can email or text pics if you want to send me the info for your email or your number. I also put quarters in the holes for the lug nuts, this kept the holes open for the lugs to be screwed back into. I work in Kirkwood so if you close we could meet up and you can take a look at it sometime.
Banjo
Arnold , MO
Club Member
Posted - 18 September 2013 22:1  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I actually did my spare the other day. I have the Moab wheels and I taped off the edge of the rim and painted the spokes. So I have black spokes, silver ring around the edge, silver center cap and silver lug nuts. It looks pretty awesome as is. I'm doing the other four this weekend and I'm pumped about! And Jane, I don't wheel my JKU but either way, if it gets scratched, a little thinner to smooth out the scratch and a couple new coats of plasti dip and it's good as new. I have the YJ for wheeling. :)
Heisman
Manchester, MO
MWJT Director of PR
Posted - 19 September 2013 6:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Pics or it didn't happen.
Richy
Festus, MO
Club Member
Posted - 19 September 2013 9:2  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Heres an add from Eastwood http://www.eastwood.com/paints/plastic-coating.html?SRCCODE=1EM1920&trk_msg=BHS33QCFT54KV4SDRA6NDJHOT4&trk_contact=035VPE4KDISHJFGA5VLTJTG6HS&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.eastwood.com%2fpaints%2fplastic-coating.html%3fSRCCODE%3d1EM1920&utm_campaign=1EM1920&utm_content=1EM1920
Banjo
Arnold , MO
Club Member
Posted - 19 September 2013 20:16  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I don't know how to post pics on here but I will put a pic of the spare up on the facebook page and I'll put more pics up after I get the other 4 wheels done this weekend.
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Plasti dip question Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply