Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Slight Steering Issue after Rear Bumper/Tirecarr Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
n0azz
Monett, MO
Club Member
Posted - 25 September 2013 12:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Last weekend I installed a rear bumper/tire carrier (Roxolid Trail Armor) nice HD powder coated bumper with the carrier $600 shipped. The price was very attractive and it is very well made with the Hi-Lift jack mount built into it along with a CB antenna mount.

Once I had everything mounted up bumper/spare (33x12:50x15") heavy 6 ply tire/ 60" Hi-Lift jack looked great. But when I drove it for the first time the steering seemed a bit loose and a bit of a float feeling. I don't think this should have really changed, if anything maybe balance out the front Rustys tubular bull bar winch bumper and Talon 9.5 Superwinch.

The XJ has kept it's ride height 3 1/2" lift with new front 180# coils and new spring packs in the rear. Any ideas what might have been affected by the simple addition I had been carrying the spare in the back before so just bumper added and jack about 120# not including the spare maybe 40#+-. But the load had moved to the rear. I checked tie rod ends/track bar/most seemed OK as far as I can tell.

If you have ideas I need some before I start throwing money at a problem that I'm not sure of the cause and effect.

Fred

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 25 September 2013 19:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
ONLY adding 150# to the rump of an XJ should not noticeably effect the steering.

makes me wonder if something up front shifted/broke during or before your 'test drive'. did you put the jeep on jack stands during the bumper install? did you change anything else while you did the bumper?

Stock, the Cherokee had around a 1100# payload capacity.. that means, driver, all passengers, any equipment/gear in the vehicle, plus all 'stuff' you may have bolted on above the springs. Depending on how your rig is equipped, its possible adding the 120# to an already overloaded vehicle may have pushed it over the limit?

obviously, check your tire pressure. its possible your running low pressure?

n0azz
Monett, MO
Club Member
Posted - 25 September 2013 21:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
No never had a jack under it during the install and I drove it just before pulling it into the shop no problem. Thinking about what you said about the weight totals and I may very well be at the 1100# point or over loaded for off roading and it is.

Fred

Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 25 September 2013 21:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Take the tire, jack, and any other easily removable weight off go for a ride and see if that changes anything.
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 25 September 2013 23:9  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
yep... drop the spare, jack, and anything else in the cargo area that can be moved... if it goes back to normal, thats what it was.
n0azz
Monett, MO
Club Member
Posted - 26 September 2013 7:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Another "Senior Moment" for me as always KISS, couldn't see the forest for the trees guys. As I have grown older (66) it becomes more apparent that as a collective things are easier to solve.

Thanks will take care of that when my son comes over later today. Hate to admit buy I can't do it by myself anymore among other health problems have 4 crushed disks in my back.

Fred

n0azz
Monett, MO
Club Member
Posted - 26 September 2013 7:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Another "Senior Moment" for me as always KISS, couldn't see the forest for the trees guys. As I have grown older (66) it becomes more apparent that as a collective things are easier to solve.

Thanks will take care of that when my son comes over later today. Hate to admit but I can't do it by myself anymore among other health problems also have 4 crushed disks in my back.

Fred

Forums | General Discussion Forum | Slight Steering Issue after Rear Bumper/Tirecarr Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply