Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Phones & Pads Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 26 September 2013 9:26  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
This ought to be interesting...

So Kris and I are debating moving into this century and getting rid of our rotary dial phones and beat up old laptop/mobile hot spot and getting all new stuff. We are looking at two options right now with a 10gb plan:

#1 Iphone 5s and Ipad (though exactly which Ipad is still up for debate)

#2 Galaxy S4 Active and Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.

Which will have the steeper learning curve? Remember neither one of us has touched anything Apple since high school (think IIE, IIC, and we don't have Ipods or even MP3 players). I was thinking the Galaxy stuff with Google chrome would be more like computers for us.

AT&T does have a nice cashback on the Galaxy Tab right now when you purchase a Galaxy phone, so their stuff is about $200 cheaper. Also, it seems 5S phones are going to be hard to come by for a while yet.

Pros/cons? Loves/hates? We are planning to go to the store tonight and finger fondle and see what we think as well.

n0azz
Monett, MO
Online Member
Posted - 26 September 2013 10:25  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I had iPhones for 5 yes 3 different ones the last a 4s and in fact had a chance yesterday to play with a iPhone 5 for about 3 hrs that belonged to a friend. The big break through they had made with it.......I failed to find it other than the fingerprint deal that has been defeated already the second it was out and published by hackers lol.

When the Galaxy S4 came out I looked at one at Sams Club one day when the wife and I were there. After 20 min I knew the iPhone had to go and it was less than 2 yrs old the S4 blew it away. I will list just a few of the major items a biggie screen size you can really read things on it and surf the web a lot easier. The OS is really the best out there and the fastest with a fast processor as well. My wife still has her iPhone as she hates changing things around, it would take something ground shacking for me to return to Apple. I think with the loss of Steve and other top decision makers now gone they may be in for a long dry spell if the 5s is any indicator.

The Samsung keeps the features coming and the only thing about I want is the newest one that is waterproof. Google has more apps now than Apple and that is new it does twice as much as my iPhone did. Plus I can still create a hotspot for my iPad II which by the way is really a great buy now and I like it better than the new smaller one.

I'm sure it matters little to you but I'm a amateur radio operator and I can control my radios at home over the internet using my Galaxy S4 and iPad to talk to friends all over the world.

IMHO you will never be disappointed with the S4 starting out has a learning as any smartphone does. The iPad II with Wi-Fi mine has 64 gig of ram you may not need nearly that much is the most bang for the buck, for a tablet stick with the iPad they are that much better and no one else comes close to their battery life.

Fred

Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 26 September 2013 10:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
You might also look at the Microsoft Surface if you still need to do any computing/word processing.
WhiteTJ
Saint Peters, MO
Online Member
Posted - 26 September 2013 12:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
My first smart phone was an Iphone. I have no major complaints about it other than the small screen, lack of storage, and having to rely on Itunes to update it. After a few years I traded it for the Samsung Galaxy SII so I could enjoy the 4G LTE in our area. I must say I like the Galaxy (android) much better. There are pluses and minuses to both platforms. Whatever you buy invest in a GOOD protective case. I would never buy an Ipad due to the lack of a USB port.
Troy352
Bloomsdale, MO
Club Member
Posted - 26 September 2013 15:4  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Also get on facebook!
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 26 September 2013 15:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Android, Chevy, and less filling.

Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 26 September 2013 15:44  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
If he gets on Facebook, then we can't talk about him anymore.
Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 26 September 2013 17:21  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Not gonna mix/match, gonna stick with one o/s across the board. I stopped and looked at the S4 Active (which is in stock and not 28 days out like the 5S) and kind of like the looks of it. It will hot spot my laptop in a pinch as well.

Troy - Baby steps.

Bounty - Yeah, I'm starting to get that impression (Ford, tastes great)

Bush - Still have my laptop for work, so no issues there. Oh and bite me, I'm not important enough to talk about.

n0azz
Monett, MO
Online Member
Posted - 26 September 2013 17:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
My iPad/iPhone was connected to my computer a Win7 machine most every day using a USB connector that comes with the iPad/iPhone. I transfer photos and music all the time between the two and my S4 also.

Fred

Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 26 September 2013 17:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Good info here: http://www.midwestjeepthing.com/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=76995&forum_id=5&Topic_Title=Iphone+vs%2E+Android&forum_title=General+Discussion+Forum&replies=23&M=0&S=1

Scroll down to the post by TheLastSong, some good advice from somebody in the biz.

Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 26 September 2013 18:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Thanks Bounty, I thought there was one of those threads but didn't see it in a quick search. I also didn't read it before because I was never very interested in smart phones. My issue with his advice is because I've never had one of those phones, I don't have any idea what I need/want.

Ironically I was in the Eureka store this evening, I may have to look thelastsong up if he doesn't see this before I get back there.

Jim.
, IL
Online Member
Posted - 27 September 2013 7:56  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
This is just my 2¢, so take it for what it's worth.

Personally I would not take an iCrap device if it was given to me. So yes, I am very biased.

#1. The apple devices are very over priced. If you like paying for a status symbol to be one of the "cool kids", then apple is for you. If you like to spend wisely and get a lot of bang for your buck, then droid is the way to go.

#2. Apple devices are in a "closed" ecosystem. This means that Apple decided what you are allowed to have on your phone. And this is a big issue, that I believe is going to become much more of an issue as time goes on.
What I mean by this is that from a business standpoint, I will NOT create an iOS app!
I recently learned about a relatively new programming language called Go. (golang)
It compiles where a program where the same code base can be compiled to run on linux, windows and mac.
The compiler is being worked on where that same code can also be compiled to run on droid.

Apple will NOT allow those programs to be installed on an iCrap device!

So, as a business person I would have to completely replicate all the work just to create an iOS app for a minority segment of the market.
I think there is already a shift taking place where developers are taking this into account and are putting droid development first. It would not take much until iOS development becomes just a niche market.

Because of that closed environment, many are starting to look at iOS as just a web browser platform. When an "app" to run on iOS will be designed to be ran via the browser only.

ps. don't forget about the issue with maps. Apple maps are sending people to the wrong destination!
Google maps on the other hand have built in navigation, where you phone can work as a gps, even if you don't have cell reception. (cache the maps before starting and they will be loaded on the phone)

Now, as to devices themselves. That is another example of apples egotistic approach of deciding what is best for you, where you don't get the choice of picking out what you want.

Earlier this year I got the Note II. It is a big phone, and is also a small tablet. For me this one device does the job of both. The larger screen is great for reading, such as books or even web pages.

IMHO the S4 or Note III would be worth looking at. Both are great devices, and I think you would be more than happy with either of them.

JD
St. Louis, MO
Club Member
Posted - 2 October 2013 14:5  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I got a Galaxy S3 about a year ago. Never had an I-phone despite the fact that the rest of the family is all Apple (including an I-Pad which is constantly being fought for).

The S3 was my first "smart phone". The salesman told me he would be my best friend for the the first two weeks I owned it (suggested a steep learning curve) and then I would never go back to another system. I only went back once for help. But he was right about the O/S.

Well I liked it enough (I like it alot in fact) that I just mated it to the Nexus 7 tablet. The Android world just seems to click with me. Regarding the tablet I could not be happier. The display is stunning. Processor speeds are fast and it was synching with my phone (contacts, music, bookmarks, etc.) right out of the box. I have a sufficient data plan on the phone and frequently use it as a Wi-fi hotspot for the tablet (Wi-fi only).

Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 2 October 2013 15:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Well, we ended up with two S4 Actives and a Note 10 pad. So far we are having fun with them trying to figure stuff out. I do feel like I'm holding a dinner plate to my head when talking on the phone though. I haven't even had a chance to get the pad out of the box and we have to figure out how to sync all the calendars (should be a fairly painless process I hope).

Haven't really done many apps yet (mainly my travel stuff) but I will have to say that they are pretty intuitive at least.

Anyway, we've at least moved into this century.

Thanks for the input everyone

Edited by - Lil Toe on 10/2/2013 3:19:03 PM

Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 2 October 2013 16:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I'm probably going to end up with an S4 as well. You need to get the Everytrail Pro app that Stalker uses.
wiredawg_mg
Columbia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 2 October 2013 20:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I have had the S4 for about a month and I have been very happy.
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Phones & Pads Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed