Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | Projects | My wifes YJ Project. Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2 
Author Topic
Mschillingii
Festus, MO
Online Member
Posted - 14 October 2013 0:2  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
So earlier this year I traded My wifes suburban for a 1990 YJ 4.2 carbed, auto with what I'm guessing a 2in lift and a 1in xfer case skid drop and bald 33s with hardtop and full doors(one of the main reasons I wanted this One)

Well I can't leave well enough alone and this thing lacked basic maintenance and needed some real love. The guy I got this thing from claimed he "is a mechanic" which every time I touch this jeep it reiterates the fact he was no mechanic and just a retard, who should be banned from touching any vehicle.

The Harmonic balancer was scrapping the timing chain cover and just a huge mess of wires and hoses, major exhaust leak, multiple oil leaks, and SO MUCH MORE.

First thing I did was have the shock mount fixed since he just zip tied it, next it got to safety inspection which it failed for tie rods, So I replaced those felt a kick in the rear so replaced rear u-joints, and motor mounts because they looked bad.

while I was in there I decided a good time to remove most the crap not needed, this is what was removed

then i decided to change a few things that were bugging me, Including broken glove box cover and hood hinges

well after that decided it was time to change the bad harmonic balancer, while removing the bolt stripped out and had to drill and tap to the next size up, and went ahead and changed the water pump and thermostat and thermostat housing while I was in there.

These are with the keyways lined up, No wonder i couldn't see the mark when trying to time it

While putting it back together we realized the edge of the water pump pulley was bent so we fixed that(which is on the list to replace next time the motor is apart)

Also changed to a open style air filter and buttoned her up for a little while

well the i decided i need some front tow points so i used some old chevy hooks i like and match the bolt pattern on the jeep

Well the wife decided she doesn't like the hardtop on when its warm and I don't like the top sitting flat and in my way so I made a moveable stand

well now it needed a tune up and the rear main is leaking, and factory replacement ignition parts just aren't cutting it, So i went to Ford 300 ignition parts Cap, Base, Rotor, and E92 Coil, 8mm Wires and new plugs gapped to .045, oh my she runs so much better with this. and went ahead and changed the rear main seal, after we pulled the oil pan, noticed it had a bunch of surface rust so cleaned it then painted it to stop future rust. Also removed the useless trac bars

Also had bought a Motorcraft 2150 (on here) and got it rebuilt but still buying parts to get it installed and just bought a 4in lift so she's going up.

Alright thanks for reading if you have any suggestions let me know, and there will be more to come as I do it.

1994 Zj 4.0 auto, "tight squeeze"

bandit
St.Charles, MO
MWJT Director of Trails
Posted - 15 October 2013 12:23  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I can't believe you got rid of the old man.
Mschillingii
Festus, MO
Online Member
Posted - 15 October 2013 19:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
"Got rid of the old man" what are you talking about

marvin
Fenton, MO
Online Member
Posted - 15 October 2013 21:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Nice work. Such a good husband.
Mschillingii
Festus, MO
Online Member
Posted - 15 October 2013 23:7  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Her and my jeeps together, her's will probably never go on a trail, and mine will probably never be street legal again, but there both fun

steveinil
columbia , IL
Club Member
Posted - 16 October 2013 8:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
cool on the build looks good
bandit
St.Charles, MO
MWJT Director of Trails
Posted - 16 October 2013 11:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
In the picture of the crap not needed. There's a old man. Was that a option back then?

Edited by - bandit on 10/16/2013 11:21:52 AM

Mschillingii
Festus, MO
Online Member
Posted - 16 October 2013 14:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
oh that old man, i couldn't get rid of him if i tried lol

Mschillingii
Festus, MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 November 2013 23:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
well got some more parts and more work done today

new boomerang shackles(will go on when i put the 4in springs on)
http://s798.photobucket.com/user/mschillingii/media/jeep/Screenshot_2013-11-03-22-57-25_zps6838121f.png.html

since there was no radio and the wife wants tunes, new radio(marine, waterproof, NO cd player but aux in, usb and sd plugs), new front speakers and hooked up sound bar

And she was complaining about no heat so I changed the blower motor and heater core and dropped the windshield while i was at it

She also wanted mirrors but like running with no doors so i put relocation brackets and mirrors on it

and this was all the crap i found in the windsheild frame

Edited by - Mschillingii on 11/3/2013 11:38:41 PM

Edited by - Mschillingii on 11/3/2013 11:43:05 PM

Mschillingii
Festus, MO
Online Member
Posted - 12 December 2013 20:6  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Well been to cold to do much, except replace the thermostat again. Had a fail safe that already failed, don't think I'll be using those again.

little95-YJ
Hart of the barn. AKA Barnhart, MO
Online Member
Posted - 14 December 2013 10:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I like the treasures you found behind the windshield frame. I wonder what all was packed into my old YJ over the wild times I had with that thing over the years. Looks like a great project.
Tink
Alton, IL
Online Member
Posted - 15 December 2013 18:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Nice. I've had the same experience with the fail safe t-stats, and also won't be using them again. They have always failed open, but they fail fast.
Mschillingii
Festus, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 October 2014 21:49  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Well have gotten lots more done, just to busy to get this updated

Got the 4in springs & 1.5in boomerang shackles on, looks much better

Also did the SYE, and for some reason no pictures :/

Well the timing chain was making noise so time to replace, and the cover and new oil pan gasket, so it gets a new color

Then took it wheeling and bent the front drive shaft. Now it's getting a double Cardin

Now it's taking a back burner while I work on my new XJ

Mschillingii
Festus, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 October 2014 21:52  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Also needed some new seats, the old ones where outdated and uncomfortable. So got these new fancy ones

Mschillingii
Festus, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 October 2014 21:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Also got the biggest project done. Mc2150 world's of difference.

Next collecting parts for a 4.0/aw4 swap

Banjo
Arnold , MO
Club Member
Posted - 7 October 2014 16:29  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
You've done a hell of a job with it! Looks good!
Forums | Projects | My wifes YJ Project. Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed