Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | 12.50 vs 10.50 Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2 
Author Topic
shoal1
owensville, MO
Club Member
Posted - 21 October 2013 19:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
bought a 95 yj with super swampers 35-10.50 not much tread on them will be buying new tires soon went out the other weekend and surprised how good they did don't see many people running narrow tires is there a good reason to run the wider tire
Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 21 October 2013 21:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
More footprint for better traction.

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 21 October 2013 22:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Less footprint for more psi on the contact patch.

Skinnier tires are lighter, less mass to start and stop motion.

xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 22 October 2013 7:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
If your running on soft ground or mud then wide is better. But on harder pack stuff (just like BH said) more psi on the contact patch gives better traction. If there where more choices in 10.5 tires I would choose to run them myself instead of 12.5.. Keep in mind that its easier to clear 10.5 tires then it is to clear 12.5 tires on alot of bodies...
Heisman
Manchester, MO
MWJT Director of PR
Posted - 22 October 2013 8:43  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Theoretically a narrower tire will give better mileage. I don't know if you would really notice, though.

I ran 33x10.5s on my last jeep and really liked them. Especially in the slushy snow. They seemed to cut through that stuff easier than my 35x12.5s I've got now.

Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 22 October 2013 11:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Can you clarify for me the narrower higher psi concept?
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 22 October 2013 11:56  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
The smaller the contact patch on a vehicle of the same weight, the more psi on the contact patch.

Unrelated to tire air psi.

Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 22 October 2013 11:58  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I've always been a fan of the 'pizza cutter' tires over the fat tires on Jeeps, especially when running a smaller engine with less HP but higher RPM's. Interco makes a sweet 'special service' TSL Super Swamper in the 34"x9.5" flavor.
Heisman
Manchester, MO
MWJT Director of PR
Posted - 22 October 2013 12:9  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Put an elephant in high heels and the pressure under his "contact patch" will go up dramatically.

This is also why you sometimes see tractors with big wide rubber treads instead of tires. The tracks put less pressure on the dirt than the tires and cause less soil compaction. In certain situations, farmers prefer a very narrow and taller tire to cut down through the squishy mud to the harder soil below (like in a rice field that has standing water).

shoal1
owensville, MO
Club Member
Posted - 22 October 2013 17:5  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
super swamper is about the only tire I can find in a narrow tire don't see many swampers on rocks ran a lot of them in mud do the hold up to rocks??
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 22 October 2013 17:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
They hold up great is rocks as the TSL has a very tough sidewall. The TSL SX has the toughest sidewall they offer.

Check out the Q78, it's similar to a 36"x10.5" tire, what I run on the trail.

Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 22 October 2013 18:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Im not sure how a narrow tire with more contact pressure is going to give more traction. Why use larger tires in racing?

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 22 October 2013 19:9  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Just depends on the conditions, it's not a steadfast rule.
xj6in
Online Member
Posted - 22 October 2013 19:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Moke perfect example... racing tires are very soft compound (for one), but the start of every race they have to heat them up to get them to grip because they don't have enough psi on the contact patch to act properly. We don't have that option with normal off the shelf off road tires..

You grew up in the era that everyone jacked up the rear of their cars and put 60's and 50's tires under them and then thought their cars where fast because they could burn rubber down the entire block, but in reality they raised the back of the car up lightening the contact patch and then added wider tires making the contact patch even lighter per psi.

I don't know how many times we would sneak a 50lb tool box in the back of my buddies car before he went down the track and would actually run faster times because he was getting better traction (more psi on the contact patch)...

Same thing with putting weight in the trunk of your car during snow... You increased the contact patch psi and allowed the tire to bite down and increase the friction area...

Is there a point where you will go the opposite going to thin, you bet but I'm pretty sure you won't have that problem with a jeep between 10.5 vs 12.5...

Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 23 October 2013 7:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Interesting. So why isnt everyone running narrow tires?
Perhaps to question the answer to my question:
Why arent more manufacturers making them?
xj6in
Online Member
Posted - 23 October 2013 7:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
No enough demand... Same reason new 4x4 trucks come with 22" wheels and 40 series tires.... People are more interested in form over function...
Forums | General Discussion Forum | 12.50 vs 10.50 Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply