Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Rusty frame repair - St. Louis Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
aadepa
St. Louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 22 October 2013 11:4  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
I have a 2000 Wrangler SE and have had her for every one of her 110,000 miles. In the last year and a half I've noticed some rust developing on the frame, especially near the rear wheels. I want to keep my ride as long as I can and am looking for a body shop or some place that can sand and grind the frame, and get some rust-proofing put on it before it gets worse and requires patching. I've only been able to locate one body shop that will do it, and the estimate was for $1,500 with the car being in the shop for a week. I know this is a fairly common problem and am hoping someone can recommend some other body shops that can help me. Normally I do most of my work myself, but I just don't have the time to take on a project like this and need the help. I am in the St. Louis are. Thanks a lot
loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 22 October 2013 12:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Axleboy off road has done work like that. He is a sponsor here.
robs
O'Fallon, IL
Club Member
Posted - 24 October 2013 18:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I've got a 97 with 200k+ miles.. looks like it's been buried underground 10 years.. everything has major rust.. frame included... but still thick and strong... Don't sweat it... Only thing I've had to do is replace hard brake lines... hit it with some scotchbrite and spray paint. life is good..
Axle Boy
St. Peters, MO
Club Vendor
Posted - 29 October 2013 10:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
I would think a heavy wire brush, a few beers over the weekend, a rust converter like Conquest from Chemsearch or any million others, and an industrial enamel would do it.

We can also do that in house.

FOR bigger projects:
There is a product called Safe T Cap that we have used sucessfully to repair serious frame rust on full frame Jeeps.

They are an overlay component, cut out the worst, add some converter, weld the Safe T Cap patch over it. Much faster than trying to fab something to patch it, or to french another frame rail over it.

636-939-JEEP
axleboy@axleboy.com
www.axleboy.com

Edited by - Axle Boy on 10/29/2013 10:17:27 AM

aadepa
St. Louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 29 October 2013 10:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Thanks much. I will try and post a picture but I don't think it's so bad as to require cutting or patching the frame. But I don't know for sure which is why I want to bring it in before anything. Hopefully I can make it out to you guys at axleboy sometime soon. It's just a bit of a hike, especially when I work downtown.
Axle Boy
St. Peters, MO
Club Vendor
Posted - 31 October 2013 7:40  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
ahh, that's why we offer free loaner cars my friend! There is a huge portion of our clientele that drives up to an hour a way to have service done. We try to make it as easy as possible!

You know, we are having an open house in conjunction with a show n shine this weekend on Saturday the 2nd from 11am-2pm. One of the few times we are around on a Saturday. Besides, you could always win a $50 Visa card as a door prize to put towards the repair!

636-939-JEEP
axleboy@axleboy.com
www.axleboy.com

aadepa
St. Louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 31 October 2013 16:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
That sounds great! Would I be able to work an estimate out of You during the open house since That would really be a huge help, so I don't have to make the same trip twice during the week?
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Rusty frame repair - St. Louis Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply