Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Axle questions Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
danman2540
Hazelwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 2 November 2013 17:50  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
My 08 JKU with 4.88 gears was wrecked in the front, bent the axle and broke some teeth off of the ring and pinion. Bought a replacement axle with 3.07 gears. What all do I need to buy to get 4.88's back in this one? Ring and pinion and install kit for sure? Then I understand I need a new carrier? I guess I shouldn't use my old carrier with how bad the axle was bent and it looks like the spider gears ate some of the broken pieces.
Banjo
Arnold , MO
Club Member
Posted - 2 November 2013 21:25  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I just replaced my gears too. You do need a new carrier. Make sure it supports 4.88 gears. I got my carrier from Axle Boy for a very fair price.
loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 2 November 2013 21:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Jk axles had 3:07 gears? You sure it's correct? I thought 3:21 was as as numerically low it went.
danman2540
Hazelwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 November 2013 21:50  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Yea that sounds right. 3.21
blue collar
Fenton, MO
Club Member
Posted - 5 November 2013 11:49  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Our 2013 had 3:07's before Axle Boy Regeared it to 4:56.
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Axle questions Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed