Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | front locker Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2 
Author Topic
shoal1
owensville, MO
Online Member
Posted - 4 November 2013 20:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
have a 94 yj dana 30 wanting a cheap selectable locker replace the vac. motor with a cable to lock frontend putting in a lock-right locker.Putting transfer case in 4-wheel should be same as now pull cable lock and have locked frontend anyone done this?
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 5 November 2013 1:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I've done it twice but with a lincoln locker in my d30 and now a spool in my d44. Poor-man's selectable locker.
shoal1
owensville, MO
Online Member
Posted - 5 November 2013 8:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Thanks bounty hunter how did they drive with just transfer case locked in (on and off road)? I was thinking a lock-right would give a little and help with steering but if a spool works my go that way
shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 5 November 2013 9:11  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I didn`t even think of spool.to me that would be the most cost effective way to go.Stouter than the factory carrier,and cheaper than a lunchbox locker.Definitely something to consider.
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 5 November 2013 15:26  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Unfortunately I've never seen a spool or mini-spool available for a d30, which is why mine was Lincoln Locked for so many years. My current disconnect d44 has a mini-spool.

If you run an auto-locker like the lockright it will still engage with the front axle disconnected because torque is being applied to the diff.

I don't mind the 3wd and use it for improved turning on very tight trails, while having the most reliability when in 4wd. I'm just careful to not be in 3wd on an obstacle because I don't want 50% of torque going to only one front axleshaft.

Consider installing a 2lo kit, they're pretty inexpensive, I love mine. Great for that rough trail where slow speed is needed but 4wd isn't.

doubleg
Hazelwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 November 2013 9:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Spools are great. I had one on the rear of my 04 TJ after I broke my ARB, but to be honest having your wheels locked all the time, especially if you drive it on the street sucks. I would suggest a Spartan locker. Ive put 3 of them in various Jeeps now including the 04 I mentioned above and loved them. They are generally under $300 and super simple to put in. I think im going to be putting one in the front of my buddies Cherokee soon if he decides to go that route.
Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 November 2013 10:49  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
^^^ The same Spartan locker that exploded my front diff after the pin broke at SMORR.

doubleg
Hazelwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 November 2013 15:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
You never told me that, you must have put it in one heck of a bind because I havent heard of people breaking them.
Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 November 2013 15:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Bad bounce and too much throttle following Troy and Dawg

bandit
St.Charles, MO
MWJT Director of Trails
Posted - 7 November 2013 11:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Too much throttle?? imagine that.
Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Online Member
Posted - 7 November 2013 14:35  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
What is that supposed to mean lol
shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 7 November 2013 18:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I think he is saying change your name to General Lee!
loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 7 November 2013 19:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
^ Nice !
Zach87
Waterloo, IL
Online Member
Posted - 7 November 2013 21:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
That's why Spartan redesigned the pins and now make a hd pin.
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 14 November 2013 4:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
couple things to consider...

- most 'lunchbox' lockers, such as the lock right, or the spartan, recommend tire size 32" or less. naturally, you can baby the rig and make the axle survive with larger tires.. but then again, if you 'baby' the rig, you probably don't need larger tires or lockers.

- having a spool/welded diff/etc in the rear of a rig gets worse with SWB rigs. i ran a spool in my cherokee for years with no adverse effects save for the usual parking lot antics, and increased tire wear on the back. running a spool in my SWB rig was quite a bit more challenging at slow speeds in neighborhoods, etc... but on the highway, id much rather have a spool/welded diff than an automatic locker.. the automatics, and ive run lock rights and Detroits, can lock up at seemingly random times.. usually when your trying to take a sip of coffee while texting in heavy traffic, which can have deadly consequences.

my Cherokee had a lock right in front, and a mini spool in the back, and it was by far the best handling (non-open/selectable) rig I've had on the road.. 100% predicable, with the only adverse issue being icy roads where it could 'push' in tight turns if i wasn't careful..

Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 14 November 2013 12:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
How does a spool behave worse in a SWB rig? Mine is great in the YJ, predictably transparent.
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | front locker Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed