Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Charter technician Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
keesh
Ballwin, MO
Online Member
Posted - 5 November 2013 17:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Hello,

I believe there is a charter technician that is in the group that gave me some advice on re-gearing my '04 TJ.

For that matter if anyone can offer any advice on necessary upgrades (I know, loaded question) as I upgrade my D35 to a ford 8.8 with limited slip and disc brakes. I am thinking of 4.10 or 4.56 with my 33s when I replace the 3.07.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Keesh

Jersey
St Louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 5 November 2013 18:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Banjo is a charter tech (Jason). Maybe him?
Cormaster
Kirkwood, MO
Online Member
Posted - 5 November 2013 20:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I'm doing this exact swap. You'll (probably) need a slip yoke eliminator and driveshaft, adjustable rear upper control arms to dial in pinion angle, brackets for the 8.8, ebrake cables, and flange adapter (to bolt driveshaft to 8.8). If you are doing 4.56+ gears you'll either need notched carrier cross pin or you'll have to grind one of the teeth to get the pin in.

Some say you need the sye, some say you don't. The pumpkin of the 8.8 is offset slightly to one side compared to the d35. The sye gives a little more flexibility for the offset. Let me know if you have any questions.

geoscar
Bonne Terre, MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 November 2013 6:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I replaced my D35 with the 8.8 and in my opinion you definitely need the SYE and CV shaft due to the housing being offset. I also used a truss kit from ARTEC. I will see if i can find the site but i found where a guy showed a very simple way to align all of your brackets. Good luck 8.8 is a good axle
Banjo
Arnold , MO
Club Member
Posted - 6 November 2013 19:42  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
If you were the guy that had the 3rd brake light in your office that got us talking Jeeps, then it was me. LOL! 4.11's are what I have on my YJ with 33's. If you do the 8.8 swap, look for an explorer 8.8 with the 4.11's. I've seen a few on craigslist recently.
keesh
Ballwin, MO
Online Member
Posted - 7 November 2013 13:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Yes, that was me with the jeep parts in the office. I already have the 8.8 and it has 3.73 gears. Would 4.11's fit in 8.8 I have? What are the options for the front 'carrier?' I think I would need to replace it since I have 3.07

I'm also looking at the artec brackets.
I will look into the other parts mentioned as well.

Edited by - keesh on 11/7/2013 1:58:54 PM

Kooter
Maryland Heights, MO
Club Member
Posted - 7 November 2013 14:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Artec runs specials quite a bit. If you aren't in a hurry, be patient and they will run a sale soon. They are at SEMA right now so I bet there will be a big sale in the next week or so. Watch their facebook page.

Banjo
Arnold , MO
Club Member
Posted - 8 November 2013 0:28  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
4.11's will fit the 8.8. Quadratec has em and free shipping on orders of $75 or more. You would need to re gear the front to match which means new carrier, spider gears and ring and pinion.
Forums | General Discussion Forum | Charter technician Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply