Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Automatic Trans oil pickup Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
SOS
Troy, MO
Club Member
Posted - 18 November 2013 10:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
My TJ sat for a couple months during the build, when I drove it out the garage it was slipping out of gear. I checked the fluid level and it looked low. It only took a quart to hit the full line, and it completely solved the problem. I found it odd that one quart could make such a difference. Testing the clearances of my lift kit this weekend, and I noticed at hill climb angles (not excessive) my TJ slips out of gear as if it ran out of fluid again, when I back down it engages again. The auto-trans appears rebuilt, and I wonder if the oil pickup has been messed up. Anyone ever experience something similar to this?
SOS
Troy, MO
Club Member
Posted - 18 November 2013 15:52  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Has anyone seen a diagram or photo of the sump pick-up tube? I will have to drop my trans pan to verify its all there. Cant find any photo's yet. I need to correct this before Washita.
JN JEEP 2
Centralia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 18 November 2013 16:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Look into getting a mopar deep trans pan.

Increases capacity by a quart and should eliminate your issue.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sja-opa999/overview/make/jeep

Used to be able to get a mopar branded one for about $70. I did a quick google and did not find one.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance/312/P4007886AB/10002/-1?parentProductId=753058

Not sure which year or trans you have, but this fits a 32rh (999)

Edited by - JN JEEP 2 on 11/18/2013 4:21:06 PM

SOS
Troy, MO
Club Member
Posted - 18 November 2013 16:35  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I don't remember my last TJ (97) starving out of fluid like this 01 does. I usually ran out of balls before my (97) ran out of fluid. Does everyone buy these deep pans now?
SOS
Troy, MO
Club Member
Posted - 19 November 2013 8:53  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Ok, since I am going to pull the pan anyway, I ordered the steel mopar pan that adds a quart to the capacity. I will install it Thursday night, and test it this weekend. I will attempt the hill I broke the front U-joint on last weekend and let you know if it is solved.
Thanks
marvin
Fenton, MO
Club Member
Posted - 19 November 2013 22:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Hope it works. I had put a Skyjacker deep pan on my TJ and it made a huge difference. I was always loosing gear out in the quarries at Badlands. Put the pan on and next trip...no problems.
SOS
Troy, MO
Club Member
Posted - 26 November 2013 19:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Good call JN JEEPN2, that did it. I bought the Mopar pan for $63 eliminated the slip issues. My Jeep is ready for Washita this weekend, I dont expect any issues with the transmition.
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Automatic Trans oil pickup Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed