Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | looking to put a rock crawling kit on Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
parrdj22
swansea , IL
Online Member
Posted - 26 November 2013 21:52  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
im looking to put a rock crawling kit on my 89 yj i didn't know if some one has done this and has a few good brands would like not to brake the bank doing so and also i wanna know would i need diff tires i javelin 33/12.50/15? Help please
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 26 November 2013 23:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
What exactly is a rock crawling kit?
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 27 November 2013 9:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
do you mean a suspension system / lift kit?

the options are endless, however, some of the cheaper kits simply lift the rig to clear larger tires, but dont work very well off or on road.

parrdj22
swansea , IL
Online Member
Posted - 27 November 2013 12:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Um i guess what i mean is i have a 6" lift on my jeep now but i see the suspension where if you are like on a rock or someithing it kind a levels it out
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 27 November 2013 12:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
ok... im going to recommend you go to a meeting and chat face to face with a few club members...
parrdj22
swansea , IL
Online Member
Posted - 27 November 2013 14:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Haha i think its the type of suspension i was looking at something called SOA they said its suspension over axle and it would give me the flexibility i was looking for in the axles
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 27 November 2013 17:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Spring over axle is one suspension design for a leaf sprung rig. it has its benefits and its negatives. its not magic nor does it offer any sort of balance that you cant get SUA.

what it does do is give you the ability to run flatter springs, which by their nature are softer than arched springs.

parrdj22
swansea , IL
Online Member
Posted - 28 November 2013 11:44  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Im sorry Im still new to some of this what is SUA
PNYCUK
St. Peters, MO
Club Member
Posted - 28 November 2013 12:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
SUA= Spring Under Axle
parrdj22
swansea , IL
Online Member
Posted - 28 November 2013 13:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Ohh ok thanks
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 29 November 2013 1:14  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I used to advocate SOA suspensions for leaf sprung rigs, and they are a very cost effective way to lift a rig while maintaining a great ride.

however, there are some really good spring packs in the 4" range, folks could argue its easier to maintain a SUA configuration and get 90% of the performance of SOA without any of the negative side effects like axle wrap or having to do custom steering links, etc.

ultimately, you need to decide what your budget is, how much fabrication you can do yourself, and what the intended purpose of the rig will be.

again, my suggestion would be to head to smuggla's on 12/3

http://midwestjeepthing.com/events/event_detail.asp?eventid=962

meet the club members, and talk about what you want out of your rig, and the best way to get there. if you already have a 6" kit on 33's (which is way too much lift for 33's in my opinion) my suggestion would be to start by upgrading to 35's, evaluating your axle/gear needs, etc before re-doing your suspension...

a couple months ago, we did an "XJ" conversion on a YJ, by doing a SOA on the rear using stock springs with an add-a-leaf, and running an XJ dana 30 front axle, and long armed links with radius arms and a custom cross member. the owner had rolled his reasonably well built XJ, so already had most of the parts so the conversion went quickly and the result was very good, on and off road. took 3 of us about 5 hours to get the rig done in my garage. (an hour of which was wasted organizing tools... lol)

i guess the first question id ask is "what problem(s) are you trying to fix?"

Forums | SWB Technical Forum | looking to put a rock crawling kit on Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed