Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | 1995 4 banger YJ lost 5th gear? Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
D
St. Louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 7 December 2013 22:12  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
A good friend of mine has a 1995 4cyl yj.

A while back he went to shift into 5th and he said it was like shifting into neutral. No noises or crunching prior to this. He says it has always shifted into 5th just fine and had no syncro grind or the like.

Is this a common issue with these trannys? I am not sure what trans it has. I assume a ax5?. Correct me if I am wrong.

Any input on how to correct it would be great.

Thanks all.

Edited by - D on 12/7/2013 10:20:59 PM

Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 8 December 2013 1:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
AX5 and it is common. The clip holding 5th gear on the shaft breaks and allows the gear to move. There are pieces of broken clip but they usually fall to the magnetic drain plug, or we hope they do.

The clip can be replaced, but it will likely break again unless the syncros are replaced.

I drove mine for a long time with a broken clip as a 4spd with no issues.

D
St. Louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 8 December 2013 8:50  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
that's what he has been doing.
Helldorado Customs
Jefferson City, MO
Club Member
Posted - 9 December 2013 8:2  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Mine did the same....very common. Scavenge the online forums through google for one for sale. I had one shipped to my door for a couple hundred bucks. It will happen again eventually...but it was a fix till I did the engine swap.
j-mox
Chaffee, MO
Online Member
Posted - 10 December 2013 0:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I had the same thing on my 95 happen twice.

At the time I didn't realize it was so common.

Mschillingii
Festus, MO
Online Member
Posted - 10 December 2013 20:45  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I got an ax15 for sale that you could drop in and get rid of the Ax5 problem for ever

1994 Zj 4.0 auto, "tight squeeze"

Kooter
Maryland Heights, MO
Online Member
Posted - 11 December 2013 15:38  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
AX15 is a good swap but not exactly bolt in. Finding the correct bellhousing is the hard part.
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | 1995 4 banger YJ lost 5th gear? Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply