Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Technical Forum | Cruise control, 01 TJ Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 15 December 2013 14:3  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
At some point, the cruise on my 01 TJ has quit working. Everything you read says check vacuum lines, etc. But, my problem is that it won't set, it won't even "power on". I hit the cruise button, and the cruise light won't come on at all. All fuses are fine.

Anyone have any ideas or have a FSM with tests to run? I wonder if it is the switch or clock ring or something like that.

Elrod
St louis, MO
Club Member
Posted - 15 December 2013 19:58  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I just sprayed some contact cleaner on mine and worked it back and forth. Sometimes the contact gets dirty and working the switch back and forth (on / off) it will clean the contact switch.
jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 20 December 2013 17:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
The switch in the steering wheel you did this to? I can try that.

Suspiciously, this was no longer working after the steering box was replaced, but they had it for a long time and were looking at a lot of things, so not sure if that was coincidence or not.

I need to see if maybe something was just disconnected somewhere. But, that's why I was hoping someone might have a FSM with some tests to run.

JN JEEP 2
Centralia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 21 December 2013 8:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Email sent.
jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 24 December 2013 9:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I got FSM pages from two people, haven't had time to look at it yet.
chopper
Crestwood, MO
Club Member
Posted - 24 December 2013 10:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
If it was after your steering box debacle my money is on clock spring because they spun the wheel around too far.
Clouseau
Oakville, MO
Online Member
Posted - 28 March 2014 13:3  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Try lifting up on the brake pedal when pressing the button.
dan
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 28 March 2014 16:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
98 TJ FSM

http://www.orcfab.com/tech/98TJ_FSM/

not sure if its the same as the 2001, but.. its there.

and yea, my bet is the issue is in the steering column/clock spring as someone suggested.

jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 29 March 2014 21:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Thanks everyone, I've not had a chance to look at it in detail. I doubt it is the brake or clutch switch because the power does not come on. If one of those switches was activated, it would come on, and just not set. Same for a vacuum problem.

And, there isn't a fuse for cruise alone, so none are blown.

I suspect, like Chopper said, the clock spring, but as I've said I've not worked on it more since.

bandit
St.Charles, MO
MWJT Director of Trails
Posted - 31 March 2014 10:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Does the horn work? Is your airbag light on? I belive those would be effected by a bad clock spring.
jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 5 April 2014 1:11  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
As we discussed at the meeting, horn works, no airbag lights.
Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 5 April 2014 15:53  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Randy, just fix it and let us know. The suspense is killing us.

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

suzjeep
Bloomsdale, MO
Club Member
Posted - 8 April 2014 10:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Cruise control? What is this you speak of?
I could only get my TJ up to cruising speed....downhill.....with a tail wind.
Forums | General Technical Forum | Cruise control, 01 TJ Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply