Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | ammo in stock Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 21 February 2014 18:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
heres a neat tool I found that has been fairly accurate for me..

http://ammo-can.net/index.php?st=MO&cal=22

for example, I picked up six, 550 count boxes of federal hollow point .22 this week (two different stores) for around $30/each.. since I was at Walmart already, i didn't include gas/travel time..

it allows you to 'force check' the inventory in the store, which has been pretty darn accurate in the afternoons.. unfortunately, if folks still line up at 7am in missouri, it will be inaccurate during high volume sales time

hope it helps!

scrambled
desloge, MO
Club Member
Posted - 21 February 2014 20:2  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Interesting tool . I've never seen this. A couple of things.
Walmart is one of the few places that haven't jacked up their prices.
I just hit bucheits and dunns in pevely and they were selling it for about 9.8 cents a round and they just ran out.
I'm a Walmart stalker. They put it out and it's usually all gone in 30 min. them retired guys are hoarding it or selling it for a profit. I bought my lot cause I figured it was simpler just to pay more than spend the time and money chasing it .
I might give this a try .
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 21 February 2014 21:2  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Yep.....i find the worst offenders of price gouging have been the online vendors who are catering to those people who have been without for so long they are willing to pay stupid amounts for ammo... Sometimes twice the market value for large lots...funny thing is.... As an instructor, I'm going through quite a bit of the "common" calibers, but still find enough at WalMart to shoot twice a week.... My reserves have dropped significantly, I'm less than 3000 rds each of 45,9,38sp,and .40. My local walmarts are seeing more inventory on the shelves, so if your not picky on caliber, I buy what they have in stock...
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 21 February 2014 21:16  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
One thing also...ive found that the money I save NOT paying inflated prices for ammo has let me buy more guns in different calibers... For example..
if I were to buy 35000 rounds at 9 cents, that's about 3200 dollarS..... When the market price is about 5 cents a round....1800....so with that extra 1200 dollars I buy something in a caliber that ammo is available for.. And rotate.... Trust me, my slidefire 22 rips through ammo like nobodys business, and I still haven't run out.. Or found myself desperate enough to warehouse ammo at twice the going rate....
scrambled
desloge, MO
Club Member
Posted - 21 February 2014 22:11  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Well....That makes us different I guess.
I buy guns to shoot. A gun without ammo is nothing but a fancy club.
I'm a member of an indoor range and have unlimited access to lane time as well as a location to easily shoot outdoors when I desire.
I choose to practice on my skills in a variety of different ways. so for me not shooting is not an option.
One of the reasons there is a shortage of 22 ammo is that a lot of people have figured out that even at 9 cents its still the cheapest thing to shoot.
I know lots of guys, including myself, that have all the big caiber stuff, that have come to realize you can get a lot more practice in at 9 cents a round than 30, 40, or heck, I've got some stuff that shoots 2.50 a round.
I bought 30,000 rounds at 9cents because thats what I had to do to get it for 9 cents. most of it was going for 12 cents and higher. I knew that I could turn around and sell it at the same thing I got it for and only keep what I wanted. I've already had to limit people because I would rather spread it around. I wont sell more than 2 boxes at a time to make sure lots of people get the chance to get some. I've had offers for 5 and 10,000 blocks.
If you want to shoot you got to have ammo.
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 21 February 2014 22:44  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I don't think we are that different.. I shoot all my guns...if I'm low on 9mm, I leave my g34 at home and take my sig 226 in .40.. Or my 1911 in .45... I chose .22 for my slidefire, rather than my ak, ar5.56 or ar308 which would have been so much cooler....due to ammo cost. I teach classes at the range twice a week, so not having ammo is not an option...
xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 22 February 2014 7:2  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I learned a way to force on-line inventory checks at walmarts for a while now, and it works to a point... The problem with walmarts around here is that the employees call their buddies when a stock comes in and they "forget" to put the .22 ammo out in the case.. It usually finds its place under the counter until their buddy gets up there to buy it out, then sells it for 3x's the price online and split the profit. They use to stock their shelves at 09:30pm (truck delivers at 09:00 and departments wheel out the stock at 09:30), but the last couple times I was up there at 09:30 it looks like a black Friday sale at the ammo case... It is a high tension environment to say the least..

I kind of gave up on 22s for a while, I can reload my 9mm for .07-.10 cents a round and shoot them... I never was into the "spray and pray" type shooting so my ammo goes a lot further then others...

Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 22 February 2014 7:21  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
It has a hard time keeping up with .22, but for other calibers and online vendors I've been using wikiarms or slickguns. I got my 13 month backorder of 4200 .22 last month and still haven't had a chance to shoot any.

My problem lately has been the less popular calibers, it took me over a month to find brass cased 44 under .60/ rnd, just happened to walk into a local LGS and they had PMC on the shelf. Gander Mountain in JAX, FL last week had steel cased Blazer for .90/rnd and other stupid prices (.60/rnd for Eagle .223 as well).

I felt silly buying 45 acp from a guy on armslist last year for .37/rnd, but still haven't seen it cheaper.

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 22 February 2014 7:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Dave, im sure that has happened once or twice, but i can assure you it is a dismissable offense at walmart, and they do investigate. if you have any proof, or any suspicion, find out who the DISTRICT or REGIONAL manager of your walmart is and call them.

as to the release time of ammo, walmart corporate policy is to sell ANY product not restricted by date/time (like movies,CD's, consoles, etc. which cannot be sold before a certain date). it took some doing, but after talking to the regional manager and corporate office, a memo went out to all west region walmarts that if a customer asks for a product (ammo) at any time the store is open.. if that ammo is in teh store, they MUST sell it.. the store manager will unlock the case, or get it out of the back.... it may take some effort on your part for the STL region.. and it make take getting to walmart at 3am ... i work graves, so this hasnt been a problem for me..

anyway, it may be more trouble than its worth for you, but, it has worked well for me. i ask for the manifest of the truck and if what i want is on it, and its been unloaded (i.e. sitting in back on teh pallet, or in the secure cage), the Manager on Duty must get it and bring it out.

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 22 February 2014 8:21  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Toe: I have had great luck with steel cased ammo, but i dont reload yet. much of the problem is that i shoot quite a bit outdoors, either on combat courses or three gun, and policing brass doesn't work for me. i could definitely see the value if your shooting at an indoor range all the time, sweep, collect, reload... saves money.

that said, crunch the numbers on steel case and YOUR gun. on my G34, its estimated that the extractor will wear out faster than with brass, so at about 5000 rounds vs 7500-8000. the extractor is roughly $50 (easy number for math sake). steel cased tul 9mm sells for $10.97/50 or 22 cents/round right now. brass case a bit more at roughly $16.97/50 or .34/rd... so i save roughly $300 in ammo costs, but it costs me $50 in parts costs, net result, a savings of $250 over the life of the part.

naturally each gun is different, but my sig, glock, colt, ruger, AK, 5.56ar and taurus all eat up steel case. my STI and ar308 are not as steel case friendly. naturally, if your range doesnt allow steel case, that presents an issue as well. two of the ranges i frequent don't, the first because they sweep up and resell unclaimed brass, and dont want to sort it, and the other, because its owned by a couple of cold war era ex military guys who have a big sign that says 'no Russian Ammo!!!..

anyway, obviously its not all black and white, but, when your shooting 100-300 rounds a week, every penny counts....there have been times where i just need a box, right now, and ive paid premium, either at the range or a gun shop.. but i would never warehouse ammo at 2x the going price...

scrambled
desloge, MO
Club Member
Posted - 22 February 2014 9:44  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
But on the other hand....... Does every penny really count ? If I buy a box of 500 22lr 's and it cost me 10 bucks more than normal and I go to the range 5 times and shoot a hundred rounds it comes out to about 2 bucks a visit difference. There is something called the law ad diminished returns. When you spend so much time in front of the computer or checking walmarts and burning gas that you are really just better off just paying the 10 bucks and having fun.
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 22 February 2014 12:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
sure, if your talking about one box... but say... 70 boxes, at $10 difference, becomes $700 ($10 * $70).. and that's a decent amount of savings in anyone's book. and the time value of being on the computer is irrelevant, as im not displacing anything else..im already online.. so spending a few extra minutes to do a quick reference saves me miles and fuel. i do most of my grocery shopping at the super Walmart anyway, so again, the trip is not 'extra'. perhaps the walk from the dairy aisle to the sporting goods section is... so ill give you that... the net cost of saving $700 is a few minutes a week online, and about 70 steps a week... ill take that trade, any day at all.

Edited by - chrispy on 2/22/2014 12:20:09 PM

n0azz
Monett, MO
Club Member
Posted - 2 March 2014 20:9  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I have reloaded since 1968 and have 5 progressive loaders 1 for 12 ga, 1 for rifle cal. 5.56/7.62 the rest are for handgun .38/.357/9mm/.40S&W/.45. Cast my own bullets and have maintained an inventory for over 30 yrs. for a time like today. But you do need to keep up with your reloading empty brass does you no good.

.22 ammo was a different story most all of mine cost no more than $10 a brick for the good stuff and $7 for cheap plinking ammo. I have been shooting it up though in several guns my 1911 .22 conv. setup and a Ruger 22/45 lite with a can. Just to keep in practice the wife and I shoot at least twice here on the farm using metal plates mostly

n0azz
Monett, MO
Club Member
Posted - 13 March 2014 7:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I bought 3 bricks of Federal .22 ammo at Bass Pro Shops here in Springfield Monday for $28.95 a brick limit one. But we went back again a little later and I bought another, the same guy was there that sold my wife hers so she did not ask again.
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 13 March 2014 7:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Walmart around here dropped its 3 box limit on everything, except .22. the three stores i shop are stacked deep in ammo of all calibers, at pre-shortage prices, which is great... I was lucky enough to pick up 3 - 550 round bricks of .22 this week, along with ... well, quite a few others. this are looking up!! im sure glad i didn't warehouse ammo at 2x the going rate...
BulletProof
Kingwood, TX
Club Member
Posted - 15 March 2014 19:42  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Nice tool. Thanks for the heads up.
Forums | General Discussion Forum | ammo in stock Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed