Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | New (ahem) Renegade for 2015 Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2 
Author Topic
MacGuy
Ballwin, MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 March 2014 10:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2015-jeep-renegade-could-be-the-9-speed-diesel-cute-ute-1535164448?rev=1393860866&utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Let the melee begin!

Jerry "MacGuy"

Heisman
Manchester, MO
MWJT Director of PR
Posted - 3 March 2014 12:2  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Hm. I kinda like it. A diesel version for the US even.
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 3 March 2014 12:32  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
just hope they use a different diesel than the 1.3 litre TD which is used in europe.... that monster makes a whopping 75hp, and with that massive diesel torque, manages 0-60 in 14 seconds... and thats BEFORE making the rig US compliant :)
Heisman
Manchester, MO
MWJT Director of PR
Posted - 3 March 2014 14:41  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Oh, no 6.7L Cummins? Nevermind then
loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 3 March 2014 19:12  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Fix it again Tony !
shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 3 March 2014 21:2  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I personally think they are over saturating the jeep Brand,and are burning up all the cool jeep names.That being said,this what the future is,if it comes off a boat and looks awful the kids with the buying power will buy it.I just wish I could win the lottery and fill a few warehouses with JKs,for future builds.
Heisman
Manchester, MO
MWJT Director of PR
Posted - 4 March 2014 7:50  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Yeah, I'm not happy about them using the Renegade name. One of my favorite toys when I was a kid was a remote controlled Renegade Jeep (of course the remote was connected with a wire). That being said, I would love a small diesel 4x4 to commute in.
BeerCat
Smithton, IL
Online Member
Posted - 11 March 2014 23:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
My heart will be with the XJ for forever but the wife likes it so might make the wife happy and at least go take a look at one when they get to our dealership
xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 12 March 2014 8:4  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
That thing would be kind of neat with dual targa type tops. I just wish jeep would fire who ever is coming up with the vehicle names. I have always thought when they bring back an old name that they are doing it to sell a sub-par product on the shoulders the old vehicles rep. They went through the hassle of completely designing a vehicle for a different market but couldn't take a couple minutes to put a fresh name on it?
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 12 March 2014 9:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
which renegade are you talking about?

do you mean the STICKER package on this CJ "renegade"?

or maybe its the plastic-and-fog-light package on this YJ "renegade"

or perhaps its the roof light package on this liberty 'Renegade'

in fact, in the history of the Jeep corporation, there has never been a production model using the Renegade name. up until now, it has been some sort of profit increasing sticker or option package on an existing model... so im not sure where you get that they are 'bringing back' an old name... they simply aren't, as the renegade name has never been applied to a specific model before.

at least its not as bad as when Jeep chose to dig up an old name for this ridiculous tinfoil unibody rolling abortion:

which had nothing in common with the REAL cherokee's, which had frames, v-8's, room for 7...

now THAT guy should have been fired...

Edited by - chrispy on 3/12/2014 10:18:23 AM

chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 12 March 2014 10:9  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
something else of interest.. many people are thinking of the renegade as a small car..

the new jeep renegade specs:

Wheelbase 101.2 in (2,570 mm)
Length 166.6 in (4,230 mm)
Width 71.0 in (1,800 mm)
Height 66.5 in (1,690 mm)

but the XJ's specs were:
Wheelbase 101.4 in (2,576 mm)
Length 166.9 in (4,239 mm)
Width 70.5 in (1,791 mm)
Height 64.0 in (1,626 mm)

put into perspective, its 2 tenths of an inch shorter wheelbase than an XJ, 3 tenths of an inch shorter overall, half an inch wider than an XJ, and 2.5" taller (unless the XJ had a roof rack, then it is the same)

it also comes with larger wheels/tires than any factory XJ ever had.

KProbst
Festus, MO
Online Member
Posted - 12 March 2014 12:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Holy cow...now I know why I haven't been on this forum in years!! Seriously Crispy???? You are trying to compare the Fiat to an XJ?? And that the original Renegade was a CJ-7 with a Sticker package???? Get a clue!!!

The first Renegade was a Special Sales Order option starting in 1970 on the CJ-5. It was no more a sticker package than a ZL-1 Camaro is. Between 1970 and 1974 it stayed a SSO and was a real and meaningful option to a CJ-5. Now..in 1974 in went to a Regular Production Option and became a sticker package shortly thereafter. Most say the 1974 was the last real Renegade. Certainly the Jeep you displayed, the CJ-7, was a sticker package that little real meaning but don't lump the entire Renegade name as some meaningless sticker package, it was not.

The original Renegades were meaningful and special vehicles, much like today's GT500 Mustangs or Rubicon Wranglers.

That is were the name and the legend came from....not some stickered up Liberty!

So yes it is blasphemous to use the Renegade name on this Fiat pos.

Heisman
Manchester, MO
MWJT Director of PR
Posted - 12 March 2014 12:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I still kinda like it. Even if it's not a CJ Renegade.
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 12 March 2014 13:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
quote:
Holy cow...now I know why I haven't been on this forum in years!! Seriously Crispy???? You are trying to compare the Fiat to an XJ?? And that the original Renegade was a CJ-7 with a Sticker package???? Get a clue!!!

in all those years, you still haven't learned to read did you? never said that the FIRST was a CJ7... simply pointed out the examples of renegade PACKAGES in the past.

quote:
The first Renegade was a Special Sales Order option starting in 1970 on the CJ-5. It was no more a sticker package than a ZL-1 Camaro is. Between 1970 and 1974 it stayed a SSO and was a real and meaningful option to a CJ-5.

which was what i said.. an OPTION PACKAGE.. not a true model in and of itself.

to be fair, tho, the renegade I 'sso' package was released with "Bright colors and striping decals...bigger tires with sporty wheels...chromed bumpers and trim...sporty interiors and a generally flashier appearance...all designed to appeal to the younger more trendy crowd emerging from the 60's.
From 1970 through 1973 the Renegade Jeep was offered as a special order option until 1974 when it became a regular option package."

so ok.. stickers and chrome. cool.

quote:
but don't lump the entire Renegade name as some meaningless sticker package, it was not.

yes, it was just a package... was not a different model. a CJ5 with the renegade package was still a CJ5.

quote:
The original Renegades were meaningful and special vehicles, much like today's GT500 Mustangs or Rubicon Wranglers.

note how you didnt say 'much like todays GT500's and Rubicons.. because both are simply packages. now since you brought it up.. many people who drive mustanks, like to refer to their car as a "GT" yet ford chose to take the "GT" moniker and make a whole new model..the ford GT ..despite the FACT that the GT moniker was used on several fords, including the mustank, and the Probe GT...

quote:
That is were the name and the legend came from....not some stickered up Liberty!

Yes, from a cosmetic option package initially on the CJ5..until now, jeep never produced a separate model called the Renegade.

quote:
So yes it is blasphemous to use the Renegade name on this Fiat pos.

Just like it was blasphemous to put the cherokee badge on the unibody XJ, or the 'grand cherokee' name on the unibody ZJ, both of which were silly toys compared to the truck based FSJ's. and while its nice to use the term 'Fiat' in a derogatory manner, lets not forget that that XJ your so proud of, dont forget that Renault partnered with AMC starting in 1980, and had controlling interest in the company by 1983. what was teh first 'Jeep' vehicle produced after that? hmmmm oh yes, the XJ and MJ. followed shortly by the YJ...

so yes, it was definitely blasphemous to use the "cherokee" name, on a french designed rig that used a Peugeot transmission and Renix electronics on that RENAULT Pos.. lol and yet, here, a quarter century later, your glorifying the french bastard child, while ridiculing the rebadged italian.

see you in another couple years, kprobst.

Edited by - chrispy on 3/12/2014 1:32:46 PM

chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 12 March 2014 13:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
oh, lol.. and while your at it... research your GM RPO's..

the ZL1 was originally a RPO code for a specific engine.. at the time (late 60's), a 427CI all aluminum big block.

later, around 2002, GM rebirthed the ZL1 moniker for their all aluminum 454 crate motor.

most recently, the ZL1 refers to another 'package' which includes the 6.2 supercharged powerplant which strangely, has the 'LSA' RPO code, not ZL1, which has been repurposed to be an option package, not an engine.

have a nice day!

chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 12 March 2014 13:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
its funny, i was on another forum, and some genius posted in the fiat renegade thread

quote:
".... the last real Jeep built was the TJ. The JK has paper thin sheet metal, plastic grille, bumpers, fenders, and the body is no longer a "tub" with fenders and windshield frame bolted on like every Jeep from 41-06. "

its funny, that this person had no clue what a JK was despite supposedly owning one.

the JK is truely body on frame, and definately has a tub, just like previous wranglers and CJs. unlike previous jeeps, its a double wall tub, rather than a single wall, but its still a tub, bolted to the frame.

Yes, the new JK includes much better front end protection, with the radiator on a tubular support, rather than bolted to the grill, which allows for the grill to be lightweight plastic.. ok, ill give this misinformed individual that..but the fenders and windshield frame are most definitely 'bolted on' just like all previous wranglers. how can someone be so confused about a vehicle they owned for 7 months.??

quote:
I owned a 12 Rubicon and sold it after 7 months because it was a car that was built to look like a Jeep.

lets see... i dont know many cars that currently run body on frame construction, or true 4x4 with straight axles.. axles that are much beefier than the TJ... lets see, long arm suspension, coil sprung at all 4 corners.. not many cars that i know of feature that.

car like? lets see, it has pretty much all the same features that a TJ has, interior wise, comfy seats, AC, CJ player, removable hard top/ available soft top, removable doors, true 4x4 with low range... not really sure how a JK is 'just a car that looks like a jeep'

certainly, the JK is a little bigger than a TJ... but then again, a TJ is a little bigger than a CJ5.. and a CJ5 is a little bigger than an old MB...so yes, we have some progression... and yes, the JK no longer has a bolt in roll cage, because they were proven to fail in high speed accidents.. the JK has a much stronger formed metal cage, which is, unfortunately, integrated into the tub for added strength..but does have some drawbacks as well..

anyway, im not really sure where this individual got his information, but he is obviously sadly misinformed about jeeps.

Edited by - chrispy on 3/12/2014 1:50:36 PM

Forums | General Discussion Forum | New (ahem) Renegade for 2015 Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed