Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | hard decision Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3 
Author Topic
ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 4 March 2014 16:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
if you had about 600.00 to blow
would you get a winch first or
a bunch of small stuff
budget boost
evap skid
quick disco
keep in mind a hundred or two is easy to come up
with for the small stuff every month for us
thanx for the help
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 4 March 2014 16:32  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Do you get into situations where you will need a winch and you're the only vehicle around? Or do you only wheel with a group and there is usually someone else to pull with a strap or with a winch?

I'm guessing since your other list isn't things like Dana 60 axles, lockers, and serious armor, you're not quite following Troy or Bush around yet.

Yes, a winch is, well, awesome, but if you only wheel in a group you'll probably get more use out of the skids, QD's and a lift first.

ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 4 March 2014 16:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
yes we only wheel with this group for now
we have added rock rails and front bumper
with tires i just hate to ask a guy for help
or hold the group up to winch me
we only been doing easy stuff for now
JN JEEP 2
Centralia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 4 March 2014 17:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Winches are pretty, but don't get used all that much.

Extra protection is always good, but can add a lot of weight to your rig.

I still think for me the best bang for the buck I have ever gotten, is a belly up skid. Sure sometimes you have to do other mods to make that work, but it's still a good mod.

Edited by - JN JEEP 2 on 3/4/2014 5:56:20 PM

robs
O'Fallon, IL
Online Member
Posted - 4 March 2014 18:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Winches depend on how you wheel.. I've been wheelin for dozen or so years.. Just added my first winch last year cause the guy I usually wheel with that also has a 6,000 lb vehicle was going to build a Sammy... Figured Sammy vs stuck 6,000 lb XJ wasn't going to work..

I've yet to use the winch for self recovery... used it several times for other folks... could have strapped most of them.. one the winch was really the only solution..

There's plenty of folks out there that use their winches on each trip... so again, depends on how you wheel or think you will wheel..

YMMV

shotwell
Gerald, MO
Club Member
Posted - 4 March 2014 20:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Honestly IMO.a winch can wait,It is faster for somebody to just throw a strap on a tow hook and pull you through a rough section.I think skid plates should be top on list protect your investment.(If a Jeep can be considered an investment...lol
Banjo
Arnold , MO
Club Member
Posted - 4 March 2014 21:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I'm not that experienced and have really only been out a few times but if it were my $600, I would hold off on the winch. A lift and protection is going to be better and more useful more often than a winch. Especially if you only wheel with a group, as stated before. Quick disconnects are definitely something you should invest in as well as armor and skids. Your Jeep is storing to be surprisingly capable at stock highth but still a great early investment. Just my $.02.
loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 4 March 2014 21:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Skids(Evap and Engine and Transmission), Disconnects, and a budget boost 2 - 2.5". Make sure you have tow points, get a good tow strap, or get hold of Gman for one of his short tow straps. Fire extinguisher if you don't have one and a CB.
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 4 March 2014 23:9  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
personally i would prioritize your needs/wants.

if it were me, i would want to get to 35" tires, and lockers, which tends to be the 'sweet spot' for daily driven 2door JK's. tire size and lockers tend to be the two most significant improvements to off road ability for a jeep. gadgets, not so much. once you have those two, and the stuff necessary to make them work, then work on the odds and ends.

your not going to get there with $600, so bank it, and keep working on your list and budget. lots of good advise above, but prioritize your needs/wants... dont just blow your money on 'cool stuff' because you think its what jeepers need on the trail.

oh, and if you don't have one already, get a real tow strap, opposed to a rope. stronger, last longer, more durable, and less expensive. sure, it doesn't float, but...

ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 5 March 2014 5:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
thanx for all the good info
we have the tires
front and rear tow points
all the gear strap d rings and what not
after the meeting i ordered
the lift
skids
discos
and a few other goodies
thanx for all the help
Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 5 March 2014 19:36  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I think everyone has sufficiently answered your questions so I dont have any more to offer. I would just like to comment on something you wrote above.

Please dont worry about asking for help or holding up a group to help you over a obstacle. I doubt there is a soul here that hasnt been there. Anyone that is too bothered to help a jeeper out of a jam isnt worth wheeling with. :)

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 5 March 2014 19:53  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
quote:
Anyone that is too bothered to help a jeeper out of a jam isnt worth wheeling with. :)

truth.

Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 5 March 2014 22:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Besides that, while you're stuck, we're not breaking anything on our jeeps.

Half the fun is watching people getting unstuck.

ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 March 2014 4:56  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
this is why we joined this group,
stacy and i have had great help
with our questions without the b/s
and some fun times so far.
thanx for the all the good info
now my order is on the way i have
some work to do.
Troy352
Bloomsdale, MO
Club Member
Posted - 6 March 2014 15:14  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Trust me, unless you pop two tires off the rims in the pouring rain, on a trial with at least a foot of running water, your not a problem at all!
ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 6 March 2014 15:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
lol but what if it were only 6" of water and light rain
but yes we really like the group
plan on hanging around
Forums | General Discussion Forum | hard decision Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed