Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | 15 used cars to avoid.. Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 20 March 2014 3:23  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/15-used-cars-to-avoid?icid=autos_5223

seems the JK amd the ram 2500 make the list again this year... due to reliability issues.

but the JK redeems itself by being on the 'best convertables of all time' list

gotta love the difference between objective and subjective media reporting..

Edited by - chrispy on 3/20/2014 3:25:04 AM

phishermanjohn
belleville, IL
Club Member
Posted - 20 March 2014 7:49  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
The only one on that list I would avoid is the navistar superduty.

Lists like this make me skeptical. Just like all the naysayers who bemoan late year cherokees because of the weaker head. I have driven 00 and now a 01 for the past 2 years with no problems. One i even wheeled hard and the second is getting ready for wheelin.

chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 20 March 2014 8:43  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
yea, these are all done on actual data...

basically, if the industry average of documented repairs is 3% of the total vehicles sold, and a particular model has a 7% repair rate, the media would report "this model has a failure rate of over 2 times the industry average".. they wouldn't report "93% of these vehicles had no problems"

this article at least detailed out some of the issues, which are typically categorized.. a 'repair' could be a radio that quit working, or it could be a warped head.. so the manufacturers categorize them, examples might be 'powertrain' or 'electrical' or 'fit and finish'. a fit and finish issue may not be important to someone looking at a work truck or jeep, but obviously a powertrain issue would be.

another issue is that many repairs are done at shops that do not report/record failures... which says the rating slightly positive... while some data is collected by polling consumers, and typically, when consumers are polled, those that are happy, ignore the poll, but those that have had problems, report them, so the reporting rate ends up being negative..

so i guess its up to the buyer, and attitude.. 'glass half empty vs glass half full'... do you want a vehicle that has over 2x the average failure rate? or one where 93% had no problems...

robs
O'Fallon, IL
Online Member
Posted - 25 March 2014 11:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
We had an 06 Exploder.. and experienced every problem they had on the list..
Forums | General Discussion Forum | 15 used cars to avoid.. Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed