Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | not jeep related Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Author Topic
ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 22 March 2014 13:43  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
anyone know anything about higher mileage
chevy 5.3 engines they any good
thinking about buying a 2005 tahoe with 180000
really clean truck just miles are high
Tink
Alton, IL
Online Member
Posted - 22 March 2014 17:23  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Seems they are reliable for the most part if taken care of. Another thing to consider is they are relatively inexpensive and easy to find if you need another.

If it's a good buy, I wouldn't hesitate.

chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 22 March 2014 17:28  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
yea, the motor should run 180k+

what you can expect from a high mileage GM is:

- steering and front suspension
- electrical, specifically dash light bulbs and factory radio..
- drivers seat worn out. power seat switches possibly bad/broken.
- 4wd if its the shift on the fly..
- rear axle bearings
- bits of plastic on the interior either broken off or squeaky.
- brakes. the 2005's were known for going through them quickly. my 2005 silverado needed new brakes every 15k miles.

its all pretty basic stuff, relatively inexpensive if you plan for it up front.. the 5.3 is a good reliable motor... its the rest of the truck that is reaching the end of its expected service life.

if the price is right, and you can drive it to see if it feels 'tight', the interior is in decent condition and nothing feels worn out... its probably OK to buy. if it feels all loose, or if you don't want to fix and endless list of little things, may want to move to a lower mileage truck..

ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 22 March 2014 17:29  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
im looking to trade a 2003 silverado with 70000
for the tahoe and 2000 cash im giving up 100000 miles
just go get more room in the rear seat
not sure im just asking what thoughts are about it
motts
Online Member
Posted - 23 March 2014 8:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Google forgot to mention camshaft issues. Search for more info
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 23 March 2014 11:7  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
perhaps your talking about the 2007+ 5300's with Active Fuel Management? I didnt mention it because the AFM/cam/lifter issue doesnt effect the early 5.3's such as the one in the 2005 he is looking at, which is really similar to the 5.3 i had in my 2005 Silverado (mine was the aluminium block, but otherwise the same).
ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 23 March 2014 13:44  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
thanx for all the info guys
jasonk
Ballwin, MO
Online Member
Posted - 24 March 2014 15:42  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
I have not had any issues with my 2005 Suburban other than the CD/Radio lights going out and the infamous Stepper Motors that are in the instrument cluster. I just put in a new cluster last week. My brakes are phenominal, I replace the factory original fronts at 80k miles and just did the rears this past weekend at 130k miles. I used the raybestos ceramics for both front and rear along with the rotors. Quiet, no brake dust and stops like a champ. The transmission can be a problem if not properly maintained, the 4L60E are very finnicky if you let the intervals between fluid changes go beyond the 40-50k range. Other than that, the 5.3 is a strong, and very reliable motor. Enjoy the tahoe. And as others have said, there are many of them out there, especially as gas prices get higher.
Forums | General Discussion Forum | not jeep related Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed