Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Strange binding/popping after the ranch Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2 
Author Topic
Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 April 2014 19:4  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Pulled the Jeep off the trailer and drove it to get beer after the run last Saturday. There is now a progressive with speed popping sound in the drive train that I can feel too. I pulled the front drive shaft, and drove it again thinking that may have been binding. Still happens. shifts perfect from 2 to 4 hi to N to 4 Lo. When all 4 tires and wheels are jacked up everything spins freely and I cannot replicate the noise. Does anyone have any advise on where to go next. Should I go ahead and crack open the transfer case? What could be binding between the trans and case? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
jkelly64
St. Louis , MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 April 2014 19:40  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Check your rear driveshaft. I don't know if you have a double Cardin rear driveshaft or not but they can produce this kind of noise. Check it by pushing up and down for looseness at t
Lil Toe
Labadie, MO
Club Member
Posted - 3 April 2014 20:5  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I'd pull diff covers before cracking the xcase, check the ring and pinions.

Or put the front dshaft back in and yank the rear and see if anything changes. Could be the CV ball on the rear shaft.

Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 April 2014 20:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
It is a DC driveshaft. No play and new everything on it.

Front diff is not it, I will pull the cover on the rear tomorrow. If the R&P was toast I feel like it would have bound up while free spinning on the jack stands.

JN JEEP 2
Centralia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 3 April 2014 20:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Is the popping at tire rotation speed or driveshaft speed?

Driveshaft speed is 4 or so times faster that wheel speed.

Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 April 2014 20:11  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I will try pulling the rear tomorrow to see. It just feels like it is below my feet while driving
Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 April 2014 20:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Seems like DS speed. I had not even though of that. I will take a video tomorrow
Bounty Hunter

Honorary Lifetime,
Online Member
Posted - 3 April 2014 20:42  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Sounds like rear ring and pinion as it happens under a load but not with the tires in the air. Maybe drive with front driveshaft only, or pull the rear diff cover.

The t-case generally won't make chain popping noise in 2wd as the power is straight through and not in the chain.

xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 April 2014 21:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Sounds like you getting some good advice, but have you checked you front axle u-joints? You can spit a cap or loose some bearings on one of those and get some of the problems your having... It's a quick and easy check, first a visual, them take a prybar and make sure you have no play at the joint...
xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 3 April 2014 21:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Your not leaking any gear oil out of the axles are you? I had a outter bearing go out of my rear end one time and it did something just like that also, but you would be loosing oil cause the seal would also let go...
Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Online Member
Posted - 4 April 2014 8:7  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
All good things to try, I will tear into it this weekend. I have a slight pinion seal leak on the rear, but nothing major.

I will try all of the above and report back.

Thank you a ton for all the help.

Lee

chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 4 April 2014 17:23  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Unit Bearing?
Holaday
St. Peters , MO
Online Member
Posted - 4 April 2014 20:10  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Rear R&P
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 4 April 2014 20:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
That blows. Any guess what got them?
Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 5 April 2014 9:49  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
What do you have in there?

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

goatboy
saint louis, MO
Online Member
Posted - 5 April 2014 10:35  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
^^ evidently plastic gears
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Strange binding/popping after the ranch Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply