Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | lockers Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2 
Author Topic
ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 15 April 2014 15:59  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
ok im looking at putting a rear locker in
our jk (dana 44 3.73) this is still a daily driver for the wife and i.
what locker would you recommend at a reasonable price and can anyone help me with the install i just called a shop they are crazy as hell on price for a true grip
MikeGordon
Mascoutah, IL
Online Member
Posted - 15 April 2014 16:14  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I would recommend a spider gear replacement front locker first. Something like a Aussie Locker or Lock-rite. I think the going price is around $250. A front will be nearly invisible on the road, so you wont have any of the negative issues a full time rear locker produces. Off-road it will dramatically increase the Jeeps capabilities. They are a do it yourself type of install that can be done by almost anyone with basic tools.
ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 15 April 2014 16:18  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
thanx for the info but dont they make alot of noise or am i wrong
MikeGordon
Mascoutah, IL
Online Member
Posted - 15 April 2014 16:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
In turns they will make a faint "clicking" noise. Generally you only hear it with the windows are down and radio is off. If you run a heavy duty aftermarket (cast) dif cover or a heavy weight gear oil, its almost impossible to hear. I ran one for several years in the front of my TJ when it was a daily driver. It was much less noticeable than the rear locker I later put it.
MikeGordon
Mascoutah, IL
Online Member
Posted - 15 April 2014 16:28  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Another benefit is that you can easily swap it back out for the stock spider gears and sell it for just a bit less than you bought it for if you decide you don't like/want it.
ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 15 April 2014 16:35  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
ok so a lockrite or sparten in the front whatya think in the rear
MikeGordon
Mascoutah, IL
Online Member
Posted - 15 April 2014 21:7  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
For a daily driver, Id either put in a truetrac (w/tires 33 or smaller) or a selectable. ...the truetrac is a gear driven limited slip. I had one before going with a grizzly and was very happy with it.
I currently have a grizzly in the front and rear of my TJ. It's my toy so doesn't see much time on the road (bought it new in 2000 and it only has 56K miles.) I couldn't imagine driving it as my daily driver with a full time locker in the rear. Even as my weekend warrior I have debated swapping it out with a selectable.

Honestly, I would just do a front locker and see how that works for you. Depending on what trails you run that may be plenty.

Edited by - MikeGordon on 4/15/2014 9:11:17 PM

loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 15 April 2014 21:42  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
If you daily drive it in bad weather I am not sure you may like the auto-locker in the front. It is hard to beat a selectable like an ARB or the electric activated one from Eaton. But they are pricy. A lot of peeps go with the rear first. Lot of options to look at.
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 15 April 2014 21:49  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Do it right the first time and go with a selectable. I put ARB's in mine front and rear and it's one of the best mods I've done. Turn them off and it's exactly like stock which is great for a daily driver. Turn them on and your fully locked.

If you put in the ARB upgraded compressor, you can also fill your tires back up at the end of the day.

Two birds, one upgrade.

ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 16 April 2014 4:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
anyone know how to install an e-locker
a shop told me 800.00 labor thats just
nuts the job was quoted for 1600.00
hell the parts are only 750.00 i found
BigJ486
Columbia, MO
Online Member
Posted - 16 April 2014 7:1  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Installing lockers is a huge job that shouldn't be done by anyone with less than a ton of experience. It takes many hours which is why the install labor is so high. It's not like they're trying to pull a fast one or anything.

I second the ARB sentiment, save some more money and do it right.

loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 16 April 2014 16:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
You almost need a shop to do it. If you mess it up your gears are toast along with the bearings.
loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 16 April 2014 16:9  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Your rear 44 can take a lot of abuse. I would go selectables also, either ARB or E-locker from eaton myself. I have arb's in mine.
ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 16 April 2014 16:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
yeah i talked with a shop today
im going e-locker in the rear
and i bought a rubi front axle
from a guy for 400.00 out of a wrecked
jk just regear so they match
the hell with it im going full tilt lol
Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 16 April 2014 23:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Nice find!
marvin
Fenton, MO
Online Member
Posted - 17 April 2014 11:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Nice find. Wish I could find a front rubi44 for that price.
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | lockers Thread Closed Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Thread Closed