Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | Tow Rig Tech | Load range E tires, Air pressure Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2 
Author Topic
loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 20 July 2013 17:46  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
So I am new to the world of Range E tires for towing. Door says 70 psi for max load.

What is everyone running them at? For towing and around town under light load?

Just curious.

Stalker

In a Jeep
Down by the River, IL
MWJT President
Posted - 20 July 2013 20:9  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I run 65 all around. I tried higher at first, but it wandered all over the road more than it does now.

(Nitto tera grapler tires, Load range E, says 80 psi max on the tire. Door sticker on truck says 65 psi front and 80 psi rear.)

Kooter
Maryland Heights, MO
Online Member
Posted - 20 July 2013 21:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I too run around 65lbs on my Michelin LT's.
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 20 July 2013 23:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
just remember, load range E tires have thicker sidewalls that retain heat... be careful not to air them down too far, or the tire can self destruct with very little weight on them. 65PSI should be fine for a 85psi tire, but ive seen people say 'just run them at 35psi', which can kill you and yours.

jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 21 July 2013 10:27  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Toyo Open Country MT (load range E). Truck door says:

Unloaded:
Front - 50
Rear - 40
Loaded:
Front - 60
Rear - 70

Toyo's say max is 65. I run 65 all around when loaded.

Kore, the maker of my lift, recommended fairly low pressure when not loaded, for better ride, and I usually run 45 all around when not loaded (and when I bother to air down). Apparently, I'm going to die.

pudggie
Oakville, MO
Club Member
Posted - 21 July 2013 13:47  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
On my e s I use to run 75 but the ride sucks unless load with a good amount of weight no I run d s and rides good at 65 up front and 60 in the rear the diesel I. My ford weighs an extra 1500 pounds up front so I add five pounds for the weight and it seems to work out pretty good I'm goi g back to e s with the next set trans force 265 76 16 now that I'm pulling trailers more often again and there cheaper now than six or seven yrs ago
RichM
Arnold, MO
Online Member
Posted - 21 July 2013 21:25  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
65 front/rear. dont need to run the 80 in the rear, it will ride like crap. unless youre loaded way down, you will never need the 80
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 22 July 2013 3:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
45 may be ok for a tire with a max of 65, i don't know. I do know that Kore doesn't make tires...

I do know ive seen 'recommendations' of folks saying to just run 30-32psi when unloaded.. which is dangerous.

Randy, im sure you can reference manufacturer information as well as anyone.. heres a quote from firestone:

quote:
SAFETY WARNING
Driving on tires with improper inflation pressure
is dangerous.
• Under-inflation causes excessive tire heat build-up and
internal structural damage.

These situations can cause a tire failure, even if the tire is properly inflated later,which could lead to serious personal injury or death.

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/static-fcac/pdf/full-warranty.pdf

toyo tires themselves state:

quote:
Failure to maintain correct inflation pressures may result in rapid wear and uneven tread wear, improper vehicle handling and excessive heat buildup, which may result in tire failure.

so, I dont know.. perhaps you DO know more about your tires than Toyo, Goodyear, firestone, michelin, etc, who all have similar instructions on their website.

you may not care about your or your friends lives, but when its my life, however, i'm going to inflate them properly.

loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 23 July 2013 20:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Thanks for all the info, Chrispy included. Randy, apparently you may die if you don't inflate your tires to spec :)
Banjo
Arnold , MO
Club Member
Posted - 23 July 2013 20:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
What kind of truck are they on? what is the max fill per the tire? How many lbs are we looking at? I would assume the JK plus trailer. If the tire says 70 (as most do, I believe) then I would stick to the 60-65 range. As we all know, the tire pressure will increase some as the tire heats up. A little more so with E loads because of the side wall (like Chrispy said). If your load is something like a bobcat and super duty trailer, I would go more 65-70psi. when you're not towing, I would air down to like 50 or so. That's just me. I know everyone has their own opinion and experience. Mine is mostly coming from selling tires and installing them when I worked at NTB and Dobbs (at separate times of course).
jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 27 July 2013 22:48  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I realize Kore doesn't make the tires. Nor do I. And, love your suggestion that I know more about the tires than the manufacturer's. But, also, people need to realize the "maximum" pressure stamped on the tire is not necessarily what the tire manufacturer says has to be run in them.

As I noted, the truck door even says 40 psi rear unloaded, that does assume stock tires, but it also says 70 psi rear loaded. Thus, you would assume that the stock tires maximum psi was at least 70, but they aren't saying run that all the time.

Also, this is my second set of the Toyo M/T's, and I didn't die on the first ones either.

Edited by - jeepr on 7/27/2013 10:50:30 PM

loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 28 July 2013 20:35  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Well I tried airing them to 65. Seemed to work fine, but with the TPMS and the new Rams, apparently the truck only likes two different pressures based on a light load, or heavy load for towing. Can't fool the computer I guess.
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 29 July 2013 6:31  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
quote:
But, also, people need to realize the "maximum" pressure stamped on the tire is not necessarily what the tire manufacturer says has to be run in them.

correct.. but it IS the pressure required to get that carrying capability. running the tires below the pressure necessary to carry the load thats on them will ruin them and is dangerous. just because it doesnt explode the first time that it drops to that pressure, doesnt mean its safe or smart to do. think of it as russian roulette... even if the chamber you pull the trigger on is empty, doesnt mean theres not a round in the next one.

quote:
As I noted, the truck door even says 40 psi rear unloaded, that does assume stock tires, but it also says 70 psi rear loaded. Thus, you would assume that the stock tires maximum psi was at least 70, but they aren't saying run that all the time.

the door lable assumes you are running the exact tires (make, brand, size, etc) that came on the truck. as soon as you change that, its all up in the air.

you are correct tho, there isnt a 'specific' pressure tires must be run at.. theres a range.. with load range E and greater tires, according to EVERY tire manufacturer including toyo, will damage the tires, and put you at risk... same holds true for lighter tires, but the range is less because typically thier max is 30-40psi rather tahn 85...

xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 29 July 2013 20:0  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
You can go to the dealer and ask that the mechanic plug in the DRB and adjust the tire pressure limits... I know it is doable with 2008ish cars/trucks, so I suspect it can still be done... Just tell them to open up the limits to maybe 50psi... That way it will still come on if you pick up a nail or something, but will give you enough flexibility to play with ranges to suit your needs...

You might have better luck catching one of them in the parking lot and offering them a $20 to do it real fast... instead of trying to explain it to the service adviser..

Maybe tell them that you have to air down to get across a sand area on your property and the tire pressure light is troublesome..

jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 29 July 2013 20:5  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Wait, John, your door says 70 max load? Doesn't it have anything for unloaded? And, front & rear different? As I stated, my door has 4 different pressures listed.
loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 29 July 2013 20:14  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
It's totally computerized actually. You first need to set up the trailer brake controller and you pick a style of trailer, for me a car hauler 2 axle. When you do that, it dictates what your pressure should be. all 4 tires on the screen. I had just aired them to 65 all around and I was under inflated all four. I tried hitting the Light load button, but then it says I am over inflated for that. The computer knows and controls it. Of course you don't Have to, but you will get the TPMS idiot light till you change it. Not really fond of that, at all.
Forums | Tow Rig Tech | Load range E tires, Air pressure Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply