Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Let's talk heim/johnny joints Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2 
Author Topic
jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 29 November 2013 12:54  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
So, when the last lift was put on my Jeep, it included the Tera arms with the johnny joints on them. While it's been on there a few years, in terms of miles, probably not much, maybe 20k max.

I recently had some pretty bad clunking, and found at least two of the johnny joints to be bad. After replacement of all four, it turns out it explains some noises I've had for a LONG time. Thus, these started failing or making noise pretty quickly.

I also had one upper that the retaining clip came out and Chopper and I put it back together a few months back.

Kooter/Bling had the same thing on her TJ with few miles on the lift also.

People that know us, know that neither of us is doing anything extreme with our Jeeps.

So, cleary, these joints are not very rugged. Is this a Teraflex problem? It seems like they are pretty generic. Others having similar problem with short life of these things? What are alternatives?

SOS
Troy, MO
Online Member
Posted - 29 November 2013 14:25  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I have used Currie's Johnny joints with success in the past. I just finished an install on my TJ two weeks ago with more of them. I dont know how different they are from the Terra Flex, but I haven't had to mess with one yet.
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 29 November 2013 18:29  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
my tera joints are going on 56k miles with no issues, beyond overextending one and having the retaining clip come out.

FWIW, the currie and tera joints are very similar in nature.

one issue with heims/johnny joints is that they have a definate and mechanical limit on the angles they can run at.. especially if there are such joints at each end of the link.

I know over extending the joint can cause premature/immediate failure. have you measured your angles at full flex to make sure the joints aren't getting overextended?

loadbreak
High Ridge, MO
MWJT Vendor Relations
Posted - 30 November 2013 17:39  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I had had one of each(Currie/Tera) go bad, a lot of play in each one. They seem very similar in design and longevity.
chopper
Crestwood, MO
Club Member
Posted - 1 December 2013 10:29  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I'm not going to say Chrispy is wrong because he very well could be right. But to "over extend" a joint specifically designed as part of a suspension that WILL go off road and get flexed sounds dumb. God forbid you have good suspension travel and use it to its full potential.

Goes along the same lines as Jeepr being denied his lifetime warrany on these very joints because they are "wear items" .

jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 1 December 2013 20:8  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
If the angles are wrong, that is Teraflex's fault also, because it's their long-arm kit that is on my Jeep. All was quiet after the replacement, but after a few minutes on the trail yesterday, I did hear some popping and banging again. Hopefully it was only on the trail and not on the street. I'll see soon.
Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 2 December 2013 7:40  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Tera Flex does not warrant these? RE does.

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 2 December 2013 7:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Chopper...you are correct in your assumption, assuming the kit is installed per spec...correct length shocks, bump stops properly installed, etc.....i don know jeeprs rig well enough to know...that said...ANY linked suspension can be over extended...usually its the shocks, brake lines, or driveshaft bottoming on the skid that creates the physical limit...

as to warrAntee...i don't believe RE warrants the innards either....i mean...why make them 'rebuildable' and sell the rebuild kits if the wear parts are warranted for life.....

its possible they replaced yours out of customer service goodwill...?

Edited by - chrispy on 12/2/2013 8:00:17 AM

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 2 December 2013 8:16  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Confirmed from RE directly..

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/info/warranty.aspx

quote:
Claims not covered under warranty:

-Parts subject to normal wear; this includes bushings*, shock absorbers, driveshafts , ball joints, tie rod ends and heim joints.
-Discontinued products at Rubicon Express’s discretion.
-Finish after 90 days.

they DO warranty thier Rubicon Express PT-MEG Super-Ride bushings, but these are not the spherical 'Johnny Joints' that we seem to be talking about...

chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 2 December 2013 8:28  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
one more possibility.. is the joint too loose? assuming you have the joints with the threaded side, they need to be tensioned TIGHT. this can only be done with teh correct socket tool or spanner wrench... if your trying to tighten them with a screwdriver and hammer, or punch, it just doesnt work correctly. that said, as they wear out, they should be checked and tightened as needed

lastly, are you greasing them on the correct timeline? you seem to be pretty meticulous with your vehicles, so id assume you do, but checking anyway....

jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 2 December 2013 11:16  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I wouldn't say I'm meticulous with my vehicles They could have been dry a time or two.
JN JEEP 2
Centralia, IL
Club Member
Posted - 2 December 2013 11:21  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I need to get the RE sockets. I have one joint that is not worn out yet, but it's a little loose and won't last much longer.
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 2 December 2013 19:57  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
yea, the sockets are nice when they are out of the vehicle, but i found spanners that are the right size, i can tighten mine without pulling the arm from the vehicile.
xj_zach
waterloo, IL
Online Member
Posted - 2 December 2013 21:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
For what it's worth, I'm a fan of Ruffstuff heims myself, 7/8 and 1.25s. I imagine other heims are just as good too. I'd think a greasable bushing at one end and a nice heim at the other would be a good combo for a DD.

Edited by - xj_zach on 12/2/2013 9:23:35 PM

Kooter
Maryland Heights, MO
Club Member
Posted - 3 December 2013 13:44  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Explain the tensioning Chris. I'm not following you. The tension is not adjustable as far as I know. These have a snap ring that hold the bushings in the actual joint. In order to install, you really need the special tool from Teraflex. I rebuilt 3 of these in the parking lot of a 4wd shop down by B's house with the use of their tool that Sat we arrived in town in June.
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 4 December 2013 3:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
kooter, you are right, im confusing my joints.

the RE joint uses a threaded ring:

that needs to be tensioned, as it gets used, until its worn to the point of needing a rebuild kit.

the Teraflex joint is held in with a snap ring, and when it gets loose, you need to buy the rebuild kit

sorry for the confusion..

Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Let's talk heim/johnny joints Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply