Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Let's talk heim/johnny joints Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2 
Author Topic
Kooter
Maryland Heights, MO
Club Member
Posted - 5 December 2013 8:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
No worries. We've had so many issues that I was more worried I wasn't replacing them correctly. Its sounds like the lack of tensioning might be a factor as to why they fail so quickly.
Bushwhacker
, IL
Club Member
Posted - 5 December 2013 12:4  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I need to rebuild mine as well, but don't have the socket or spanner. Who has one?
jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 5 December 2013 22:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
My replacement guts came from Axleboy. Bradxj installed (since I seem to be on nearly non-stop work travel duty, ugghhh)
chrispy
, CO
Club Member
Posted - 5 December 2013 23:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
its important that they get greased regularly, as road grit, etc, will grind them to pieces.
Elrod
St louis, MO
Club Member
Posted - 6 December 2013 15:17  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I have the Tearflex rebuild tool if anybody needs to use it.
Pumper
Highland, IL
Online Member
Posted - 15 December 2013 13:52  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Jeepr, Had the exact same issue. Am sure I had less than 20,000 on mine and they were totally shot. Had holes worn completely through where the two halves join. This despite very faithful and liberal use of the grease gun. Ended up replacing all the Johnny joint bushings AND the Clevite bushings on the frame ends as all 4 were pretty ripped up. Disappointed in the longevity as I wheel for a week each year in Colorado and maybe 2-3 other local trips and the rest of the driving is on the road. Must say that replacing the 8 bushings made for much better ride and handling and got rid of many clunks. BTW, I detest the Spiralock retainers that were in my JJ ends. Contacted Teraflex and they sent out regular snap rings which is what they now use. Can't complain about the service from TF, but the bushings don't hold up well.
jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 15 December 2013 14:1  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Yes, the ride and handling were MUCH improved after the new bushings. We'll see how they hold up this time. It was perfect quiet, then went to Washita a few weeks ago, and started getting a lot of popping there. But, I don't see any visual problem with them.
Forums | SWB Technical Forum | Let's talk heim/johnny joints Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply