Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | New tow rig! Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 4 Pages Long:    1 2 3 4 
Author Topic
suzjeep
Bloomsdale, MO
Club Member
Posted - 7 March 2014 13:25  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
And by the way, that thing looks big enough to pull a third. So, if you see me behind your rig "drafting", I have really thrown a tow rope onto the back of the trailer and put her in neutral.
Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 7 March 2014 16:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I will have to remember to flip out the mirrors so I can watch what your doing behind me.

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 7 March 2014 19:33  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Moke, some one up in Stauton IL was selling a 3 car triple axle bumper pull... it would look sweet behind that truck... You could at least get your fuel cost covered...
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 8 March 2014 9:6  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
just be careful, as the SRW 3500 has a max towing capacity of around 17,000#, (give or take, i dont know the options on your truck, gears, etc..) which can be reduced by payload, which includes driver, all passengers, etc.

assume 3 jeeps about 15000 and another 4000# for the trailer, and your overloaded by a ton, before you get into the truck

there is no question that the engine will move the load and much more, but, only a complete idiot would suggest you tow over rated capacity, simply to save a few bucks on fuel.

the specs for 3500 diesel automatic crew can short bed Laramie follow: (if yours is a long box, cant tell from pictures.. max tow is reduced by 200# give or take.

6.7L DIESEL TURBO - ETK 6-SPD AUTO 68RFE - DG7 XBS 3.42 Max trailer + payload 17,110#
6.7L DIESEL TURBO - ETK 6-SPD AUTO HD - DF2 XBS 3.42 Max Trailer + Payload 16,950#

making it more fun, the gross rear axle weight MAXIMUM is 7000#, something to watch for with a goose/fifth or even a heavy bumper tow, as some portion of the weight of the truck, plus its cargo/passengers weight, plus whatever the weight is with the trailer loaded.. you can easily exceed the max axle weight if your not carefull, or if you foolishly try to tow too much weight, simply because the truck will move it.

quote:
7. The recommended tongue weight for Gooseneck and Fifth wheel hitch is 20 – 25% percent of the gross trailer weight. However, the maximum tongue weight for
Ram 3500 Gooseneck Hitch is limited to 6000 pounds, and the fifth wheel hitch to 5000 pounds. Additionally, the GAWR's and GVWR's should never be exceeded.

all towing specs can be found here:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2014_RAM.3500.Towing.Specs.pdf

Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 8 March 2014 23:2  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I have researched all the tow specs. I am tagged for 18k.
I know my payload and my tow rating. Sort of. Believe it or not the owners manual say I can pull. 30k. I will have to look at book to confirm verbage. Doesn't matter. I will pull two jeeps no more.
I will stay within spec.

I have to say, I pulled my jeep to potosi this morning. Soooo much better than anything else I ever towed with.
Put the 5.7 hemi to shame. I am pleased.

chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 9 March 2014 4:58  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Yea,good....

Just remember the owners manual is generic....covers many models...the only way to get to 30k# is with a REGULAR CAB LONG BOX 4X2 ST / TRADESMAN DRW.... The factory site and the specific numbers on the truck (door jam usually) will be correct for your truck.

the 6.7 is definitely a powerhouse..our command truck is running one, only real concern..with all the modern diesels is that that power can give you a false sense of security..

anyway, sounds like your doing things right! enjoy your truck!

Edited by - chrispy on 3/9/2014 6:10:08 AM

chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 9 March 2014 8:56  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Be careful with 18k plates.. Truck is about 7k plus 2 jeeps at 5k apiece plus trailer at 3k and your already a ton over registered weight...colorado and Utah both ticket hard for over registered weight.....
suzjeep
Bloomsdale, MO
Club Member
Posted - 9 March 2014 9:25  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Moke, I will remember to put the jeep in stealth mode. Lol
jeepr
Crestwood, MO
MWJT Webmaster
Posted - 15 March 2014 20:30  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Yeah, the 18k plate includes the truck. I always thought mine was 7000lbs, but turns out it is closer to 8000lbs.

Truck, small ATV in the back, toy hauler with water, and Jeep in it, was about 19k, so I was slightly over my plates. But, I don't think any cop would guess there was a Jeep in there.

Kooter
Maryland Heights, MO
Online Member
Posted - 15 March 2014 21:20  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Moke,
Here's my weight ticket coming back from Colorado with 2 jeeps and a goose neck trailer. I was slightly overloaded by 1240 lbs. I may up my plates to 24K. Its a tough call for only towing over 18K a couple times a year.

Kooter
Maryland Heights, MO
Online Member
Posted - 15 March 2014 21:23  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
It pulled quite well. I monkey'd with the placement of the two jeeps and I think I got it right with about 4k (1/4 of the total trailer weight) on the tongue.
Kooter
Maryland Heights, MO
Online Member
Posted - 15 March 2014 21:29  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
And just for the record, my tag on the door says my front axle is rated for 5200 and rear is 6200. Thats 11400 in my book even though Dodge's rating is lower at 9900 GVWR. They also don't list my gear ratio which is 4.10, not 3.73.

Are you looking for a trailer yet?

Mr Moke
St Peters, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 15 March 2014 21:58  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Kris I didnt go 24k because they told me anything tagged over 18k must scale. Commercial or not. But she told me something that indicated that 18 was the highest I could go. Dont remember what. Maybe it was the manufacturers rating?
If you grossed over 24k how do yo figure you were only 1200 over? 24 - 18 = 6

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 16 March 2014 2:28  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
kooter, you dont simply add up both axles max weight to get the trucks max.... each axle is marked individually in case you have a heavy load over one or the other axles.... that is simply the maximum weight each AXLE can handle, but doesnt take into account the rest of the systems

also, max trailer weight is NOT the weight on the trailer tires at a scale, assuming its hooked up. you probably know this already... a 16000# trailer should scale at less than that because some of the weight is transferred to the truck... if the truck is rated to tow 15000# max trailer, and it scales at say, 12k# when hooked up, you may still be exceeding the capacity. to find the actual weight of the trailer, it must be disconnected.

Kooter
Maryland Heights, MO
Online Member
Posted - 16 March 2014 9:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Moke, my math was based on what the GVWR of the truck is, not what my plates are. I was way over on my plates, no doubt about it.

In Mo, she is right. 18001 and over must weigh. In Illinois, technically, 16001 and over must weigh.

Forums | General Discussion Forum | New tow rig! Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 4 Pages Long:    1 2 3 4

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply