Welcome to the Midwest Jeepthing

This website is home to the largest club of Jeep owners in the midwest. Feel free to browse the site and maybe even become a "FREE" online member so you can add your rig to our Member Rides section.

Sponsored By
Club Info Member Rides News Events Trail Guide Forums Sponsors My MWJT Logout HOME

Midwest Jeepthing Forums
Profile | Sign UP | Search | Guidelines & FAQs
Forums | General Discussion Forum | hard decision Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3 
Author Topic
Boyer343
Belleville, IL
Club Member
Posted - 6 March 2014 17:55  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Winch, Evap skid, quick disco.

Winch can be a live saver, metaphorically and literally, in my opinion even if you only wheel a hand fun of times a year, it is still extremely helpful and necessary. Plus pulling people out of the ditch in the winter usually helps reiimburst the cost over time. People are kind to tip you for the extra hand at times.

JaneS
Chesterfield, MO
MWJT Director of Events
Posted - 6 March 2014 19:51  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
And they still wheel with Troy after that adventure!!
n0azz
Monett, MO
Online Member
Posted - 13 March 2014 7:12  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I started with a 3" full spring lift with shocks and tires 33's mistake should have been 35's/steel wheels and trimmed fenders more (99 XJ). Both helped a lot for off road use.

One of the first things I bought was a Hi-Lift Jack and some recovery items to go with it, had to have it at least to change a tire. A winch came 2 months later but my wife and I often wheel alone and a long ways from anything. So we have items that most do not carry as far as equipment goes including radio gear CB and Amateur gear from UHF-160m with antennas that can be mounted in several ways.

Once you have most of the smaller items start saving for lockers and a re-gear for the larger tires, they make a huge difference.

n0azz
Monett, MO
Online Member
Posted - 14 March 2014 13:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Thought about it a little more and for $600 you could get a cheap lift and a Lunchbox Locker for the front differential. You would be amazed at how much better off road you can do with a locker. I don't know what you have but the lockers for a D30 is very reasonable like for an Aussie many use them.
n0azz
Monett, MO
Online Member
Posted - 14 March 2014 13:13  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Thought about it a little more and for $600 you could get a cheap lift and a Lunchbox Locker for the front differential. You would be amazed at how much better off road you can do with a locker. I don't know what you have but the lockers for a D30 is very reasonable like for an Aussie many use them.
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 15 March 2014 13:35  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
its controversial, but, your much better off with a locker in the rear than the front.

typically, you need locker(s) when you are climbing stuff.. when the front end of the jeep is higher than the rear, weight transfers off the front axle and into the rear axle, so even with a locked front end, you will still spin tires, rather than clawing up the obstacle.

locking the rear end allows you to plant the tires, using both the added weight from weight transfer, as well as the locked diff to ensure that both tires are pushing.

this was tested a few years ago by one of the magazines using select-able lockers on the same series of obstacles, and it was found that the rig did considerably better with just the rear engaged, than just the front... but obviously did best with both axles engaged.

phishermanjohn
belleville, IL
Club Member
Posted - 15 March 2014 17:28  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
Correct me if I'm wrong but for a dd/weekend wheeler a front locker offered a compromise between on road handling, tire wear, and off road performance. Locking the rear could cause detrimental effects on road while providing the best off road performance. All assuming you only lock one axle with a non selectable.
ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 15 March 2014 18:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
i would like to know the answer
this is still a family driver for us
to date i have
33" mud tires
rock sliders
crawler front bumper
evap skid plate
i just got free winch so to speak
(my work told me to clean up the scrap metal
so i cashed in 923.00)
so a rear locker is on the short list now
chrispy
, CO
Online Member
Posted - 15 March 2014 18:53  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
phisher: yes, a rear locker will 'change' the way it drives.. but many folks online here drive regularly with automatic lockers in the back end.

it may take some getting used to, learning when to let off the gas, and when to apply it, but.. they are not uncommon.

a front locker is going to be more transparent on the street, as it should never lock in 2wd, but you sacrifice off road ability (still better than no locker), and if budget is limited, a rear locker is the way to go.

xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 15 March 2014 21:22  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
Maybe I'm reading into you post different then others, but if your jeep is a "family driver" meaning more members then you often get behind the wheel, then I would hold off on any auto lockers. Take that scrap metal money and shop around and see if someone can cut you a "cash" deal on installing a selectable rear locker. A jeep with a auto locker tends to become a single driver dedicated rig quickly...
ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 16 March 2014 6:24  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
thanx for the info when i say family driver that
means the wife still takes this to the mall and what not so i would like tokeep it road friendly if possiable
ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 16 March 2014 14:37  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
can we run moderate trails with open diffs
thats the goal for us
xj6in
Where hi-cap mags are legal and pot is not!!!, MO
Online Member
Posted - 16 March 2014 15:15  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
I wouldn't hesitate to, as long as your disconnected and have proper air pressure... You'll want to pick your lines with a little more caution, but you should be fine.
ss&j
high ridge , MO
Online Member
Posted - 16 March 2014 15:43  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message  GoTo Member Rides
thanx again for the help guys
eddieb1965
Winchester, IL
Online Member
Posted - 16 March 2014 19:19  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit or Delete Message
On my 01 Wrangler I put in a Detroit EZ-Locker I got from Grape Ape.It was the best offroad improvement I made to the jeep.I didnt notice any detrimental effects while on road,but It made a world of difference offroad. Eddie
Forums | General Discussion Forum | hard decision Post Reply Send Topic To a Friend
Topic is 3 Pages Long:    1 2 3

Click Here To Close Thread, Administrators & Moderators Only.

Show All Forums | Post Reply